Corsair Community

H110i not working properly

thefailwail

Hey all,

Been rocking a H110i GTX and 6700k combo for a few years now. The other day the fans were running quite loud, although it could just be the normal sound level and I just never noticed. Ran AIDA64 and saw it was idling at 45 degrees; yikes. I decided I would fiddle and reset my CMOS, setting a new overclock of 4.5 GHz and ending up stable at a voltage of 1.32V. Ran AIDA64 and got the same idle temp of 45 degrees Celsius. When stress testing, I was hitting 90 degrees!?

Confused as to how the temps were getting this high, I placed my hand in front of the radiator fans and noticed the AIO was blowing just slightly warm air. Looking at iCUE, under load the AIO temp was not changing all that much and sat around 38 degrees. I thought maybe the thermal paste was old so I gave them a clean and reapplied to no avail. I've read around and found lots of people saying the pump may be dying although I can definitely feel the vibrations of the liquid moving through the pipes.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: CLEAN YOUR RAD. The outside was fine but the inside was filthy. Now idling 30 and 75 under load

Edited by thefailwail
Solved

In order to change the coolant temp (H110i GTX Temp) you need a sustained for load for some duration. Heat in vs heat out is a fairly slow tug of war. However, the 38C baseline is a bit higher than expected for most installations. It does explain the 45C idle since 38C would be the lowest possible CPU temp is you were at 0 volts on the CPU. Obviously that only happens when off and even at the lowest step you will have 0.6-0.7v keeping the CPU at a higher level.

Most users will see a baseline coolant temperature of +4-7C above their room ambient temperature. This varies with both radiator location, case design, etc., so there is no exact range. If you are in a 20C room the when you cold boot the coolant runs to 40C, then that suggests there is some kind coolant or airflow restriction. If this is a sudden change in behavior that also is concerning, but the more common scenario is a gradual build up inside the unit and a slow loss of performance over time that is not easy to spot until you cross a temp threshold you've never reached before. I don't see a problem with the +45C Coolant to CPU differential in AIDA. That seems about right for 1.3x volts. The problem is the 38C baseline. If it were 10C lower, your CPU temps would be -10C as well.

Try assessing this after the PC has been off for a while. Once you start adding GPU heat in, all the control of temperature goes out the window. Other signs to watch out for is a coolant temp that goes up very rapidly during use, but then takes an eternity to cool back down. On 6700K OC I would expect +5-6C in coolant on AIDA blend over 10 minutes. It should then drop 3C in about 1 minutes after the test stops. The last bit usually takes longer and there often a small heat zone around the motherboard.