Corsair Community

Action on profile exit

Rems19

Hi,

I have a K55 RGB Keyboard profile associated to a game where I remap the LShift key to toggle the O key which I use to sprint because the game doesn't support toggle sprint.

The problem is that if I was sprinting in game when I exit it, when switching profile, the keyboard still holds the O key and I can't toggle it back because I'm no longer in the right profile.

Is it possible to add an action that would run when exiting the profile? (which would be to release O in this case)

If not, how would you go about solving this issue?

Thanks in advance!

No there is not an action event triggered by leaving the profile.

Following steps and suggestions:

1. Do NOT continue to purchase Corsair products

2. Do NOT update your ICUE ever ever

3. You could make a button which raises all keys and place it in each profile:

- a) Record a new macro and type every key on the keyboard or just "o" in your case if you want to be lazy.

- b) Remove all the delays and delete all the key press actions. If you were just to do "o" in your case you would have a new macro "Raise key(s)" with "Release key O" as a macro step.

- c) Assign it to any key that you don't regularly use in any or all of your profiles: Maybe the right window key, or print screen or an arrow button. I used to have one for all my keys, which included my modifier keys and mouse buttons. I assigned it to my Escape button. If you want the key to keep doing what it is supposed to do, consider using retain original key output under advanced settings of the macro (For example: I would not want pressing of my panic button to activate the windows key, so I would not retain original output if I assigned it to that key, but the only time I use print screen is with the control key so I might consider retaining the original key use if I assigned it to that one.)

If you use macros ever in the future, and do it by recording the macro including the delays there will be many cases where you will have a key or mouse button left in the pressed position. (If there is a delay between the pressed and released action you will often interrupt the macro in the course of pressing keys or mouse clicking during the delay.) The button with the "Key raise" macro assigned can be your "panic button". You can also put a second action on the button or macro which switches your profile back to your default profile.

You may think I'm being facetious with steps/suggestions 1 and 2, and I somewhat am, however, consider the following:

1. CUE 2 and ICUE has had a problem with copied macros since its inception. I reported it in CUE 2 and at the inception of ICUE. Currently, there are 2 or 3 posts that I have seen other than my own, where currently people are seeing it as deleting macros, unassigning them, and shutting down ICUE with macros left on but no further macros working (ie. ICUE shuts down, the profile lighting is on, macro sounds and the lighting profile are working, but macro actions do not work. So my "Panic button" does not work). Corsair believes these problems are with the macros: If reported through the support ticket system, Corsair gave my original report of the problem 3 years ago the following response: We cannot help you with macros. If you were to make this "panic button" and copy it through several profiles, you would experience this problem sometime in the future. If you create it for just the raise key "o" button, you should create it in each profile you intend to use it and not copy it.

2. Corsair became a public company in 2020 with currently $3B market capitalization. They post in this forum and in their public documents "continuous improvement" of ICUE, but the last 3 years of improvement have all been towards system monitoring, and they have done nothing to improve actions or action editing. I can now see on my dashboard that fan 3 is spinning at 830 rpm (It is not a fan made by Corsair. I don't care), but my profile switching has decreased to about 1 second per switch. Someone posted the symptoms of this problem with the current update V3.36.325 in June. Corsair has not acknowledged the problem or done anything to fix it. They have stated publicly that their profit margin and business plan is through the Elgato Stream Deck. I guarantee that "Improvements" to ICUE for 2021 will be for Elgato Stream Deck, and bug fixes will be to those portions of ICUE related to Elgato. They will not be for your MK55 keyboard and they will degrade performance.

Hopefully the current presentation of the bug is extensive enough for even those who just play first person shooters will notice the degradation in their performance, such that Corsair will fix this.

Hi,

I have a K55 RGB Keyboard profile associated to a game where I remap the LShift key to toggle the O key which I use to sprint because the game doesn't support toggle sprint.

The problem is that if I was sprinting in game when I exit it, when switching profile, the keyboard still holds the O key and I can't toggle it back because I'm no longer in the right profile.

Is it possible to add an action that would run when exiting the profile? (which would be to release O in this case)

If not, how would you go about solving this issue?

Rambling manifestos aside... if you forget to turn off the Sprint remap before exiting the game, navigate to the CUE app, select the game profile to make it active again, and hit left shift one more time to put it back into the normal state. You could try to write elaborate actions to cancel actions and put them in every profile, but it is a lot easier to remember to undo it before exiting the game or to open up the app on those occasions you forget.

... and to think I have upgraded your reputation in the past or thought about it. "Rambling manifesto aside..." Sheesh.

"Elaborate action": it's 1/2 of an action: Raise the "o" key.

If he does forget to toggle the switch before he leaves the game the "o" key is in the pressed position. If he goes to a web page, it's typing o the whole time. While he's navigating in ICUE to the profile he wants, he's renaming it, "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

The last time I was in this forum circa 2 years ago before the current crash of my ICUE, I read a post from you about the Action Library, about keeping it clean, and it was causing a macro in the Library to be attached to my escape key. Have they fixed that yet? 2 years later? That's the only reason why I hit update, was because I presumed they would have fixed that.

My suggestion to Rems19 was to make a "panic button". Why is it leaving the profile when he leaves the game? Because the profile is attached to the game. So depending on the number of profiles he has he could go to any profile. Copying actions creates a problem. Leaving actions in the Action library creates a problem. You solved his problem by telling him not to use the program as would come about by tinkering with the program or by using the "unofficial instruction manual", because they haven't posted an official instruction manual.

Yes @Rems19, it is better to avoid using actions with ICUE, as per c-attack. Anything that can be accomplished with good old fashioned human brain is better. It is better to avoid using ICUE altogether as per my manifesto.

@c-attack, I was going to DM you to get help with my current problem. I've reinstalled Corsair (deleting my appdata, program data, and registry keys). I've run the repair tool. Corsair would suggest that the problem is with my utilization of ICUE actions. I would suggest it is with the program.

Any ideas?

Edited by Petro

Sorry... I just think we could have a more meaningful discussion of the overall macro implementations in another post. A lot of the issues you are concerned about may be not be something entry level users understand. Your solution should work, but it does require a sacrificed key and hopefully this is not a 10 times a day kind of issue.

Thanks. No problem. I realized my answer was manifesto-ish, which is why I highlighted the important recommendations in yellow, and commented that 1 and 2, while I believe them to be a proper recommendation or comment were somewhat facetious.

(I don't think that) The raised key action requires a sacrificed key: If he added an action to his default profile, to his Escape Key for example of raising the "o" key, and retained the original action, the escape key would still work during typing, and you wouldn't notice an effect anywhere. Conversely, if he transferred his "toggle" to his default profile, that would sacrifice a key.

I try to keep my default profile as clean as possible, so I would assign your panic button to an innocuous key (the print screen for example), but the key will still work on most occasions.

If Rems19 decides he/she/they likes his/her/their toggle, and puts another one in, say to crouch for example, then one has to remember to shut that toggle off as well.

- tinkering with the program is dangerous, even within the rules of the unofficial instruction manual. Maybe the raised key action causes lag, or will cause some weird effects with other programs. My experience with the retain original action, is that it seems to keep the original action as per instructions in the operating system (so same repeat rate, etc.) but I don't know for sure.

- I am experiencing it 10 times a day currently where it would be more, but frustration causes me to leave the computer. I do have several macros assigned, and as I said my panic button is not working currently because ICUE is shutting down. (Again, when Corsair was pretending to take input on suggestions for CUE 2, I suggested a preprogrammed stop action or stop action on the interface immediately).

Edited by Petro