Corsair Community

H150i Elite capellix with 6 Ql120 fan set up help!

Jaffna

Hey, I'm building a new pc in the Lian Li Pc-011. I got the h150i elite capellix and I'm looking to add 6 Ql120 fans aswell. Of course for the AIO i'm using the fans that it comes with. Honestly, I'm completely lost on how I can set this up. I came across a diagram by google search and it was made by someone here and I wanted to know if this will work. All credits to user @jokeyxero for this. I don't mind getting the commander pro if this works. Can anyone confirm?

pcHrQPB.png

Yes, this will work. However, the Commander Pro is only needed in this instance if you want a second 6 port fan controller and it will have no lighting duties. See the thread below for someone doing the same thing and the alternative options for speed control.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=202224

You can ask follow up questions here in your own thread.

Edited by c-attack

Yes, this will work. However, the Commander Pro is only needed in this instance if you a second 6 port fan controller and it will have no lighting duties. See the thread below for someone doing the same thing and the alternative options for speed control.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=202224

You can ask follow up questions here in your own thread.

Thank you for the reply! Okay that clears it a bit more. So just so I'm clear I only need the core and a lighting node. Connect all 9 fans to the core with 3 PWM splitters, 3 RGB to the core and the other 6 to the hub right? I know you mentioned we don't know the long term effect this would have, so just to be safe do you think it's worth the peace of mind to just get the commander pro?

My biggest concern with loading up the Commander Core too much is if you blow part of the circuit board, it may also stop the pump. Power to the pump is put through this device as well. Of the normal 4.5A of 12v available on the SATA line, some of that is going to to pump. I don't think we know the exact current draw of the pump. 1.0A is probably ball park, leaving 3.0A for the fans with a 0.5 cushion for safety. The problem is these are all speculative, so the need for caution. I think 9 x 0.30A works, but I wouldn't recommend 10 x 0.30A to another person. It's not that I feel the current level is teetering on the edge. It's that you would take your system down for 2 weeks while waiting for another Commander Core. You can't run down to the store and buy one at this time and going down for that long is a major problem for a lot of people.

Commander Pro vs PWM hub - The only real reason to get the Commander for this build is if you think you might like to add more RGB elements in the future -- namely RGB strips, Hydro X water cooling parts, or anything else non-Corsair that might work with a proper 5v adapter. The "Core" devices are for fans only do not have RGB channels like the Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro (both have 2 RGB channels and can do fans or strip-like elements). Node Pros are cheap and easy to find. The other reason for a Commander is if you are thinking you might want to get into custom water cooling soon. It is a massive help for that and its 4 temp probe registers are great for data and control.

A PWM hub is usually inexpensive, small and relatively easy to obtain. The only negative is it will make all the fans on the hub run the same speed. Not quite so useful in small and mid-size cases. Far more useful in very large cases and the O11 with its banks of 3x120 that do no need individual fan control.

My biggest concern with loading up the Commander Core too much is if you blow part of the circuit board, it may also stop the pump. Power to the pump is put through this device as well. Of the normal 4.5A of 12v available on the SATA line, some of that is going to to pump. I don't think we know the exact current draw of the pump. 1.0A is probably ball park, leaving 3.0A for the fans with a 0.5 cushion for safety. The problem is these are all speculative, so the need for caution. I think 9 x 0.30A works, but I wouldn't recommend 10 x 0.30A to another person. It's not that I feel the current level is teetering on the edge. It's that you would take your system down for 2 weeks while waiting for another Commander Core. You can't run down to the store and buy one at this time and going down for that long is a major problem for a lot of people.

Commander Pro vs PWM hub - The only real reason to get the Commander for this build is if you think you might like to add more RGB elements in the future -- namely RGB strips, Hydro X water cooling parts, or anything else non-Corsair that might work with a proper 5v adapter. The "Core" devices are for fans only do not have RGB channels like the Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro (both have 2 RGB channels and can do fans or strip-like elements). Node Pros are cheap and easy to find. The other reason for a Commander is if you are thinking you might want to get into custom water cooling soon. It is a massive help for that and its 4 temp probe registers are great for data and control.

A PWM hub is usually inexpensive, small and relatively easy to obtain. The only negative is it will make all the fans on the hub run the same speed. Not quite so useful in small and mid-size cases. Far more useful in very large cases and the O11 with its banks of 3x120 that do no need individual fan control.

Thank you for the reply. I really do appreciate it. I think I'm going to get the commander pro just to be on the safe. I just have one more question, Do I plug the pump on the pump fan on mobo or to the commander core?

Hey, I don't mean to keep bugging you, but theres one more question I just had. In the diagram I noticed they have the lighting node pro and the commander core connected to the commander pro via usb. I looked at other diagrams and noticed that the hub in particular is always connected to the LED port on the commander pro. Does this make a difference or it has to be connected to the usb for this set up?

The 1-wire “3 pin dummy header” from the pump is a tachometer wire and nothing else. You’ll get the pump speed through the software even if it is not connected. It’s real function is safety in conjunction with the MB’s standard “cpu boot error” that occurs if nothing is connected to CPU fan. If the pump did not power on and send a signal to the cpu fan header, the bios would stop you at boot. This feature can be disabled and the connector tucked away, but generally you should connect it to cpu fan.

“Core” vs “Pro” - The original two lighting controllers were the Lighting Node Pro and Commander Pro. Each is a 2 channel RGB control that connects to the system via usb 2. However, the lighting power for the fans comes from a different device — the RGB lighting hub. That then in turn connects to the RGB channel on the Pro controller. Lower level current items like strips don’t need the power boost and connect directly.

The Core devices combine the RGB hub into controller, but to avoid making it twice the size it’s only able to handle one set of fans (1-6). No RGB channels, so no strips. Just fans. The LNC is basically a RGB lighting hub with a controller tucked in. All Core devices connect directly to the system via USB.

It’s not that one is better than the other. It’s just a different tool. The person with 6 QL fans and nothing else doesn’t need a multichannel controller. The LNCore simplifies set-up. However, where things get complicated is when you start mixing them together. Your Commander Pro will have 2 RGB channels, but you won’t use the QL on them because you don’t have the RGB hub. You could buy one for $10 if you can find it (hard to obtain outside of multipacks) and that would eliminate the LNCore. The only net gain is one less USB connection and one less SATA power connection — but this is only true if you have the Commander and intend to use it. This is why it’s not essential. It would have other uses to you if you wanted to connect RGB strips or something like the 30 LED section on the case. With an adapter, you could hook the case strip to the Commander and it becomes part of iCUE. It also can act as the USB port for your LNCore and Commander Core.

The 1-wire “3 pin dummy header” from the pump is a tachometer wire and nothing else. You’ll get the pump speed through the software even if it is not connected. It’s real function is safety in conjunction with the MB’s standard “cpu boot error” that occurs if nothing is connected to CPU fan. If the pump did not power on and send a signal to the cpu fan header, the bios would stop you at boot. This feature can be disabled and the connector tucked away, but generally you should connect it to cpu fan.

“Core” vs “Pro” - The original two lighting controllers were the Lighting Node Pro and Commander Pro. Each is a 2 channel RGB control that connects to the system via usb 2. However, the lighting power for the fans comes from a different device — the RGB lighting hub. That then in turn connects to the RGB channel on the Pro controller. Lower level current items like strips don’t need the power boost and connect directly.

The Core devices combine the RGB hub into controller, but to avoid making it twice the size it’s only able to handle one set of fans (1-6). No RGB channels, so no strips. Just fans. The LNC is basically a RGB lighting hub with a controller tucked in. All Core devices connect directly to the system via USB.

It’s not that one is better than the other. It’s just a different tool. The person with 6 QL fans and nothing else doesn’t need a multichannel controller. The LNCore simplifies set-up. However, where things get complicated is when you start mixing them together. Your Commander Pro will have 2 RGB channels, but you won’t use the QL on them because you don’t have the RGB hub. You could buy one for $10 if you can find it (hard to obtain outside of multipacks) and that would eliminate the LNCore. The only net gain is one less USB connection and one less SATA power connection — but this is only true if you have the Commander and intend to use it. This is why it’s not essential. It would have other uses to you if you wanted to connect RGB strips or something like the 30 LED section on the case. With an adapter, you could hook the case strip to the Commander and it becomes part of iCUE. It also can act as the USB port for your LNCore and Commander Core.

Thank you for the reply one more time. I have a little anxiety when it comes to this because its my first build so I want it to good smooth. I just want to confirm some final things here just to be sure if thats okay. I'm going to go through with the commander pro because I'm going to get some LED strips aswell.

-3ML fans and RGB go on commander core

-6QL Fans go on commander pro and 6QL RGB go on rgb hub

-Commander core and RGB hub connected to commander pro via USB

-All 3 devices connected via SATA to PSU

does this sound good?