Corsair Community

Corsair XD3 pump noise

Hello Everyone,

I am from Australia and just today setup my first ever custom watercooling loop.

I used the Corsair XD3 pump/reservoir combo and it is making a loud grinding noise from the time I switched it on. Initially I thought that it is air bubbles and after bleeding the noise will subside. I bled the loop for close to 3 hours but the noise still persisted.

I bit the bullet and started my PC. Using Commander Pro if I set the pump speed to 50% or less then the pump is quiet. If I raise it any more than 50% then the grinding noise comes back on. Also, if I rotate and hold my PC at a 60 degree angle the grinding noise reduces.

At this point I have no idea what is wrong. I am suspecting its the pump itself and I may have to RMA it. Can anyone advice on the issue?

You can hear the sound generated by the pump here: https://imgur.com/jydbyQq

Kind Regards,

Rajiv

The XD3 is pretty powerful and the design causes a lot of action down near the inlet. That has a heavy electrical tone to it, but if it changes or goes away when you tip the case, then we are looking at bubbles/pressure/water level or something along those lines.

I would say mine became noticeable past 3500 rpm with clear mechanical noise. However, not like your clip. There is a tone to that much like when the pump cannot move the fluid because of back pressure or something else. From the other thread, we know your coolant is moving or the components temps would ramp up immediately on load and then stay up. Both CPU and GPU would idle in the 60s after even a short burst.

What's the device right after the pump out? Is that a flow meter? Spinning? Acting odd in any way? Every now and then, someone has a flow meter that acts more like a stopper. Aside from that, I don't see anything obvious from the loop. 2 rads, 2 blocks should be easy. The X flow radiator is lower resistance compared to a standard U flow. I ran 3 blocks and 3 rads on mine and it didn't have trouble.

I am wondering if you are getting back pressure from the "dead-end to drain" section that then goes back up to the pump. The filter may or may not have an impact. It would explain why the noise only comes on when at higher speed (enough back pressure to affect the pump). The XD3 has a lot of push to it and that sound reminds of one time I forgot to release one of my ball valves.

If you are drained/disassembled now, trying running the XD3 into some combination of the rads blocks without the T + drain line. You might be able to take the pump out directly to the CPU block or use any extra tubes to make a temporary bypass (with the 24 pin jumped in a powered off state). Something long enough that it can act as the drain line when you are done. With soft tubing, you usually can make things work. Obviously you can do this outside the case as well. Make sure the XD3 is upright. You lay it down on its back and you will hear it instantly.

Right. What I am wondering is is if the length of tube after the the T-fitting and before the ball valve stopper is creating pressure against the dead end and pushing back through the T. This then creates back pressure up the relatively short line back to the pump outlet. You might be able to test it by capping the other side of the T, but that might also make it harder to drain with the GPU. It doesn't really matter how you set up the test as long as there isn't a dead-end after the pump out. Or at least that's the working theory...

Usually a bad pump motor is bad across the band. It will be quieter at low RPM, but still buzzy/noisy/grindy whatever. Just less amplitude on the noise. The tilting and only at higher speeds makes me wonder about the flow path.

So, have a big news to break. I made a test setup as this: https://imgur.com/a/i6fglTW

And this is how the pump noise was: https://imgur.com/a/IjNtX2x

It was just loud but there was no grinding or creaking noises from it. So I guess it was the restriction that was causing the issue. I will put together the loop again without any impediments, might just use the filter.

Because after a 3 hour run, this is what the filter was able to collect: https://imgur.com/a/W5zONd3

Thanks for your suggestions guys, all this is very new to me. Glad to have you all help me out, really appreciate it.

during the first runs, there's always some small bits of flux from the radiators that may collect on the first waterblock in line, sometimes fluffs of dust fibers too, it's never 100% clean, but they rarely cause major issues, and are easily flushed by running water backwards under the sink. once that's flushed, it's smooth sailing.

So hopefully, you won't need the filter anymore.. or it won't catch as much as the biggest impurities have been removed.

And that pump noise is the typical DDC whine, pretty normal :)

We'll see how the temps go now

Hey Guys, I setup the loop again but the noise has reappeared. It was fine while I was filling the loop and after 5-10 mins the noise reappeared, although it is a lot mellow than previously.

I am running the pump at a steady 50% and its quiet except for few ticking noises every now and then, almost like electricity crackles, not sure what they are.

At this point, I am thinking of seeking a replacement and take it from there. Maybe switch to a EK FLT.

The CPU temps are still the same, I get 5-6 degrees variance between cores when on load and it still hits high 80s - low 90s when benchmarking. GPU temps are awesome, max I have seen is 48degrees.

since you didn't like the pump whine, maybe consider going with a D5 pump for your replacement.

that said, the noise comes back even without the filter? i keep coming back to it because that mesh is pretty fine. I wonder if it's not restricting flow too much

If the XD3 was at 100% when you were running the outside the case test (which is likely), then that sound is normal. It is definitely loud at 100% and most DDC pumps are at the maximum.

Seems like the simplest explanation is probably correct and the clogged filter was the source of backpressure rather than the T and extension further down. It would also explain the sudden improvement after cleaning it out.

However, I don't the like "crackles" or ticking. Those are more commonly motor issues and that's not usually something that simply goes away. I would reach out to Corsair Support. The GPU temp indicates the loop is working. I fight to keep my 2080 Ti at 48C in the warmer months with a heavy GPU load. CPU temp is not quite as exciting. Hitting 90C in benchmark with a 30C coolant? That would be +60C differential and probably out of bounds. I would not expect that at 1.30v. On my 10900K at 1.375v, I have a +40-42C differential coolant to Core for a single pass on Cinebench R20. This is the same XC7 block. My 10900K is delidded, but that isn't going to cut 15-20C off the top.

So, I did something very drastic over the weekend- https://imgur.com/p16MxUs

Although I loved the Lancool 2 and I can vouch for it being a great case for air cooled builds, I really struggled finding compatible components for water cooling. The XD5 is so much quieter than the XD3(potentially faulty) that I can barely hear it even when its running on full speed.

This is how the coolant temps look after 1 run of Cinebench R20- https://imgur.com/Sxr5ksj

Ambient was around 25degrees

These are the temps during a run of Cinebench R20- https://imgur.com/hQecpz2

I then ran P95 at max heat settings for couple of mins and the core temps were- https://imgur.com/V2XT3d0

Benchmarking AC:Odyssey, the CPU hit a max of 71 and GPU hit a max of 47. I guess with a longer gaming session I will see higher temps.

And I have kept the filter in the loop because even after the 2nd run it caught a lot of debris, I am suspecting they are tiny rubber specks from my ZMT. I will eventually get rid of it, but for now I'll leave it on. Next stop, hard tubing during the X'mas break :)

Edited by rajivnairr
Typo

OK, that's more like it on the temps. The coolant/CPU differential for R20 is the same as me and I presume you are not delidded. I wouldn't worry about Prime95 unless you actually need to run it. It's as much of a BIOS settings/tuning test as it is for cooling -- probably more. Something that puts heat into the system (like gaming) is a better test for all the layout/flow/speeds over time than P95.

Still not sure on the XD3, but no reason to go back at this point.

Hi rajivnairr

I want to reply on your first post. In my opinion, this XD3 pump is running out of water, the noise in your video suggested this to me (my XD5 made the same noise, when i started it once without water inside).

It seems, that you placed the XD3 at the the top of the case, so the backflow is not sufficient. The XD5 prevents this problem with a much bigger reservoir, i think.

So place your pump always at the bottom of a big enough tank.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi rajivnairr

I want to reply on your first post. In my opinion, this XD3 pump is running out of water, the noise in your video suggested this to me (my XD5 made the same noise, when i started it once without water inside).

It seems, that you placed the XD3 at the the top of the case, so the backflow is not sufficient. The XD5 prevents this problem with a much bigger reservoir, i think.

So place your pump always at the bottom of a big enough tank.

Hi, thanks for the response. I have already submitted it for RMA and they have confirmed the issue and have processed my refund.