Corsair Community

Corsair SD cards (Temp. Range)?

WiseGuy

• Corsair Employees

Our 40x SD cards transfer at 6MB/s read and 5MB/s write.

And as long as you can breath or live with out a resperator you should be able to use our SD cards in just about any enviorment or Temp.

• Corsair Employees
LOL! No you would not survive at 85 Deg C. Not to mention I know of no consumer electronic device that will operate above 50 Deg C for an extended period of time. And you would freeze solid with in 10 Min at -20 Deg C.

LOL! No you would not survive at 85 Deg C. Not to mention I know of no consumer electronic device that will operate above 50 Deg C for an extended period of time. And you would freeze solid with in 10 Min at -20 Deg C.

You should not forget, that there are many industrial applications, using a SD card for logging. So the mentioned temp. ranges are realistic, even if no human is next to this application. So my question was legitim, but your answer not factually :sigh!:

Maybe he was thinking Kelvin :)

Dunno what industrial applications could heat up a SD reader and card that high, but I know that for instance, Athlon 64's are rated up to case temps of 70 C. I'm surmising that a card reader probably wouldn't have as high as a threshold as that.

Operating Specs of Athlon 64

As for -20 C, I'm a little hazy on it, could be wrong, but I believe that's around the temps that some Peltier coolers get to, and at that temp components need some type of frost protection.

The question is legitimate. Are you aware that the temperature inside an electronic device kept under the car widshield in a summer day may excede 70C?

The same for winter (I meen 20C below zero).

In both situations survival is not questionable.

So: Are Corsair memory cards tested to resist to such normal situations?

• Corsair Employees
NO I would not suggest using any electronic device in those extremes. If that is your requirement, I do believe there are devices made that can work in that environment. But I know of nothing off the top of my head. Again normal operating range for most electronic device would be your normal human operating range. That is not too say that you cannot survive in the desert at 145 Deg F because I have but not for a long period of time. Nor would I suggest you try it. But you are welcome to do or try anything you like! Expecting any device you purchase to operate in extreme conditions in my opinion is not realistic. Certainly there are times you and or your camera may be exposed to extremes but in normal ever day use or life 99.9% of us do not live and or work in the desert or at the north pole. So that is not an issue. And I don’t foresee any problem with our products in average everyday use. Now your definition and my definition of normal may be two totally different things but I hope this answers your question.

I didn't mentioned desert or north pole. Not even Nevada or Alaska. I was talking about normal temperatures inside a stationed car in mid-summer and winter, in, let's say, New York (over 60C and below 20C inside car).

Question: Corsair flash products, if kept in such a car for several hours, will be damaged (meening loss of data too), or not?

For comparison, SanDisk offers all the environmental data necessary.

• Corsair Employees
I am not sure that I can tell you anything other than what I have already posted. Other than every Camera that I have seen both digital and film all suggest not leaving the camera in direct sunlight or inside a hot car, for example. Again if you can sit in that car and take pictures I doubt you would have a problem. And any of these devices San disk included will have problem if you leave them exposed to direct sunlight in locked car on a hot summer day for an extended period of time. But all I can tell is if our product fails in normal use we will be happy to replace it. And I doubt that any maker of these products will offer any type of data loss protection. So you as consumer must choose a product that meets your needs and I wish you the best!

Just as a comparison, I sure wouldn't want to be in a car in the middle of the summer with no A/C :)

Out of curiousity, are you thinking of using a SD card to run an OS from for a CarPC?

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/425/how-to_boot_windows

No, i'm not, so far, but it's an interesting article.

RAMGuy, you are right, i'm the consumer. And i hate loosing data. And yes, it often happends to leave inside the car my laptop, or a digital camera, etc., because i can't carry them during shopping, or in a restaurant for example. And yes, there are flash products guaranteed to work under above mentioned conditions (not to mention the electronics and computer of the car itself).

Please take all these as suggestions for improving the technical specs of your product.

As a Corsair fan I'll give a try with a middle range compactflash, for the moment, hoping that everything will be ok.

Thanks fot your time.

Keep in touch,

Paul

Archived