Corsair Community

AIO using QL140 fans

AngryShrimp

Hello fellow Corsairians,

I have completed a new build in the 680x case, and have mounted a H115i RGB Pro XT in the top of my case in push. I have thought of exchanging the standard ML fans of the AIO to QL fans that I'll use throughout my case.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts, as I have read that the MLs outperform the QLs.

If you use QLs on your AIO, what's your experience?

Another reason why I might pass is because it was a pain in the bum to screw the AIO fans into the radiator, and I'm afraid the screws and/or radiator might get damaged when I attempt to unscrew them - if I am able to unscrew them at all that is. Corsair does need to work on the quality of the screw holes/fittings of their radiators...

Edited by AngryShrimp

ML fans or anything else with 7 wide, flat blades will be a better radiator fan than something like a QL with medium rake, medium blades that was designed to be a good general all purpose fan. However, even giving you a hefty 200W continuous CPU load, the difference would probably be limited to 2C, unless you routinely run your ML140 fans at the 2000 rpm max. That is above the QL140 max. 2C coolant is 2C at the CPU, so not much unless you are running right at your limit already.

A few others reported tough initial threading on the XT coolers. However, once you've done it, the hole is now "drilled" if you like. The screw should come out and go back in easy the next time.

the only other thing is 680X specific. It's an 8 fan case or 7 if running 2x140 front. You likely have 3xLL120 up there now. Either way, this usually means you need two lighting controllers since the max per channel is 6 fans. If you decide to get 5xQL to fill out the top/rear/bottom, make sure you get at least 1 "dual pack" of QL140s. That will have the Lighting Node Core you need to run the lighting for those 5. The LL would stay on their current controller. The QL "Core device" connects directly to the MB USB 2.0 and does not go through the Lighting Node Pro.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your informative reply, c-attack.

To anyone interested, here is the result of my build using QL fans throughout:

[ame]

[/ame]

Samples of the RGB capabilities:

[ame]

[/ame]

In terms on temperatures I am seeing CPU and GPU temps of 30 and 35 celsius on idle (quiet mode) and 40/60 celsius while playing newer games (balanced mode).