Corsair Community

Commander Pro, Node pro

garethjwilliams

Hi guys just started a new build, I am using 2 white corsair 360mm rads with obviously 3 120mm ll120 fans on board, now I understand i need to use the commander pro to connect the 6 fans being used for the rads !!! And connect the rgb labelled cables in to the node pro and then that gets connected to a lighting channel on the commander ?? Am I right so far ?

Now at the front I am possibly gonna get 3 ll140 rgb fans would I need to have a second node pro in order for all the fans to be synced for rgb effect ??

So its gonna be 9 fans in total as rear fan is not needed as a d140 distro plate is gonna be there in its place

Any info is greatly received

Or is there a way to get them all working off the 1 commander pro and 1 node pro ??

You don't need the Lighting Node Pro if you want the Commander Pro for fan control. The Commander is a Node Pro + fan controller + 4 10K thermistor data slots. Since this is a full water build I imagine, the Commander is useful and those 4 10K slots will take any water temp sensors you have.

The piece you do need is the RGB Lighting Hub. The Commander/Node Pro are the controllers, but the RGB hub is the lighting power. Two ways to get it. 1) In the multi-pack of 2x140 or 3x120 along with a Node Pro. While you may not need the Node Pro, this still may be the most cost effective. 2) Buy the RGB hub directly from Corsair or anyone else. The problem here is it can be hard find and subject to some hefty price hikes. It's a $10 piece, but I see it for $30-40 all the time.

The other factor in the above decision is a 6 fans (1 RGB channel) that leaves you just 1 left over. That could take more LL fans later, but you might also have plans for the distro plate or other case RGB devices. Those may not connect to the Commander or Node Pro directly (need 3rd party adapter), but this does give value to having an extra Lighting Node Pro around. You probably want to get the multi-pack. Also, most of the time the per unit cost for singles x 3 is the same (or worse) than the multi-pack. If that holds true, you buy two multi-packs regardless and store the extra hardware.

• 3 weeks later...
You don't need the Lighting Node Pro if you want the Commander Pro for fan control. The Commander is a Node Pro + fan controller + 4 10K thermistor data slots. Since this is a full water build I imagine, the Commander is useful and those 4 10K slots will take any water temp sensors you have.

The piece you do need is the RGB Lighting Hub. The Commander/Node Pro are the controllers, but the RGB hub is the lighting power. Two ways to get it. 1) In the multi-pack of 2x140 or 3x120 along with a Node Pro. While you may not need the Node Pro, this still may be the most cost effective. 2) Buy the RGB hub directly from Corsair or anyone else. The problem here is it can be hard find and subject to some hefty price hikes. It's a $10 piece, but I see it for $30-40 all the time.

The other factor in the above decision is a 6 fans (1 RGB channel) that leaves you just 1 left over. That could take more LL fans later, but you might also have plans for the distro plate or other case RGB devices. Those may not connect to the Commander or Node Pro directly (need 3rd party adapter), but this does give value to having an extra Lighting Node Pro around. You probably want to get the multi-pack. Also, most of the time the per unit cost for singles x 3 is the same (or worse) than the multi-pack. If that holds true, you buy two multi-packs regardless and store the extra hardware.

Thanks for your reply I have 2 rgb hubs, 1 with 6 fans connected and the other with 4 fans connected, and they are both connected to the commander on the rgb channels.

I’m guessing the only thing I can do as in regards to controlling the 3 front fans and rear fan is connect them to a hub that was already with my case and control them via motherboard, and have control of the 6 fans connected to rads via Corsair link.

I have 2 node pro’s surplus to requirements now, can I use these in any other way as I can’t connect them to rgb channel as they are both being used

I also have purchased EK 6 way splitter for rgb items like gpu waterblock, Corsair reservoir combo and case rgb strip etc etc

Thanks Gareth

Edited by garethjwilliams

The Lighting Node Pros don't need a RGB channel - they are the RGB channels. 2 of them in fact. They connect back to the system via USB 2 and act as another lighting controller. You can use one of them to add 2 more RGB channels for the distro plate and possibly other things. You will need some type of 3rd party adapter like this one in order to connect a non-Corsair 5v D-RGB set of LEDs to a controller. The distro plate would become RGB channel 1 on the LNP.

More LL fans can be added to your existing LLx4 set or you would need another RGB Lighting Hub to power them and then connect to any free RGB channel on a Commander Pro/Lighting Node Pro.