Corsair Community

Help with: 7x QL120 + h150i elite + lian li o11d xl

zikey

Hey folks,

as many of you, I'm in the process of building a new system. My previous builds were all non-RGB and right now, I'm struggling to wrap my head around what I need to make this work.

What I ordered:

Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

7x QL120's (2x 3-Packs)

h150i AIO

Commander Pro

Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

What I understood: I'll need to connect the 7 QL's to the 2 Node Cores and connect them to the Commander Pro. This is for RGB only, correct?

This would leave me with 6 power slots on the Commander Pro, but I have 7 fans.

Also, do I need to connect the AIO to the Commander as well or does this one go straight into the Mobo, power + rgb?

How do I properly set this up? Do I lack components?

Do I even need the commander?

Sorry for being confused, never had to handle so many fans + rgb before.

Thanks for your help, will happily provide more info if needed.

Hey folks,

as many of you, I'm in the process of building a new system. My previous builds were all non-RGB and right now, I'm struggling to wrap my head around what I need to make this work.

What I ordered:

Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

7x QL120's (2x 3-Packs)

h150i AIO

Commander Pro

What I understood: I'll need to connect the 7 QL's to the 2 Node Cores and connect them to the Commander Pro. This is for RGB only, correct?

This would leave me with 6 power slots on the Commander Pro, but I have 7 fans.

Also, do I need to connect the AIO to the Commander as well or does this one go straight into the Mobo, power + rgb?

How do I properly set this up? Do I lack components?

Do I even need the commander?

Sorry for being confused, never had to handle so many fans + rgb before.

Thanks for your help, will happily provide more info if needed.

You mentioned in the title an AIO... is the Capellix version?

If so, this AIO comes with a Commander Core (not to be confused with a Commander Pro) that has 6 RGB and 6 RPM headers, so you can plug 6 QL fans (I suppose the bottom and side) to the CoPro and the last QL to the CoCo for RPM management.

If the AIO is one the prevoious version you'll need instead an Y splitter for RPM management of the last QL fan. Then you can use the splliter in the CoPro or in tha AIO's header, as you prefer.

RGB management is ok.

The only missing point to me is you'll run out of USB headers... 1 for the AIO and 2 for the LNC are more than the 2 ports of the CoPro, so or you have 2 USB headers on your mobo or you'll need a USB powered hub.

Last advice, you'll need to pay mucn attention on cable management, as the back space of the case is narrow and there's a plenty of stuff to be crammed inside.

Baio

Hey Baio,

thanks for your reply!

I got the Elite Capellix version indeed.

To summarize if I understood correctly:

- Of the 10 fans in total, I'll put 6 into the CoCo (RGB + RPM).

- The other 4: RGB -> LNC into CoPro. RPM -> straight into CoPro.

- The 2 USB ports on CoPro will be filled with 1 LNC, 1 CoCo

Doesn't this mean I'll only need 1 USB Header for the CoPro on the Mobo?

Or does the Radiator have to be connected with the CoPro??

Thanks for your help!

The Commander Core that comes with the Elite coolers has 6 PWM ports and 6 RGB ports. You will need more.

10 RGB - You will need to break this up into 2 groups. The obvious way for an O11 is 6+4. One group on the Commander Core and one group on the Lighting Node Core. Make sure you get at least 1 multii-pack of QL to get the LNC.

10 PWM - This is a bit much more the Commander Core and since it also hosts the RGB and cooler power, I wouldn't push its upper limits on current. Most people with an O11 XL need more than 1 fan controller anyway. You can put any 6 on the Com Core, then either 1) put the remaining 4 on the motherboard; 2) Get a PWM hub that will use 1 header on the Com Core as PWM control for the hub. That has its own SATA power and they come in sizes from 4-10 fan typically. You can put 4-6 fan on the hub to free up space on the Com Core. 3) Some other fan controller for the remainder - like the Commander Pro. The Commander does not have a lighting function in your current set-up.

USB ports - You will need 1 for the Commander Core and 1 for the LNCore. If you end up using the Commander Pro, it has two usb passthroughs and the number drops to 1 for the Commander.

The Elite coolers have a special wide multi-wire connection from the OLED pump head to the Commander Core. That's lighting, power, and control. The cooler cannot function without a working and powered up Commander Core.

Hey Baio,

thanks for your reply!

I got the Elite Capellix version indeed.

To summarize if I understood correctly:

- Of the 10 fans in total, I'll put 6 into the CoCo (RGB + RPM).

- The other 4: RGB -> LNC into CoPro. RPM -> straight into CoPro.

- The 2 USB ports on CoPro will be filled with 1 LNC, 1 CoCo

Doesn't this mean I'll only need 1 USB Header for the CoPro on the Mobo?

Or does the Radiator have to be connected with the CoPro??

Thanks for your help!

No, you will need 2 LNC for RGB control over the QL fans.

This because the AIO comes with ML fans that have a different number of leds in regard of QL fans. Mixing fans with different number of leds will work for static colors but will bring weird behavior when applying sequential effects (that are the most funny).

Speaking of RPM control, connecting 6 fans to the CoCo will make all behave like they were AIO fans... this can be good for the back fan, but I’d dislike it for side and bottom fans.

Baio

No, you will need 2 LNC for RGB control over the QL fans.

This because the AIO comes with ML fans that have a different number of leds in regard of QL fans. Mixing fans with different number of leds will work for static colors but will bring weird behavior when applying sequential effects (that are the most funny).

Speaking of RPM control, connecting 6 fans to the CoCo will make all behave like they were AIO fans... this can be good for the back fan, but I’d dislike it for side and bottom fans.

Baio

Okay, so:

7 QL RGB -> split among 2 LNC -> connect 2 LNC to CoPro

7 QL RPM -> 6 Into CoPro -> 1 (rear fan) into CoCo so it behaves like AIO

3 ML AIO Fans, RGB + RPM -> CoCo

Since the 2 LNC are using the CoPro USB ports this would mean I need 2 USB slots on Mobo:

1 for CoPro

1 for CoCo

Or would you suggest to link the CoCo into CoPro and have 1 LNC on Mobo instead?

Did I get it now? :-) Thanks for your help!

Okay, so:

7 QL RGB -> split among 2 LNC -> connect 2 LNC to CoPro

7 QL RPM -> 6 Into CoPro -> 1 (rear fan) into CoCo so it behaves like AIO

3 ML AIO Fans, RGB + RPM -> CoCo

Since the 2 LNC are using the CoPro USB ports this would mean I need 2 USB slots on Mobo:

1 for CoPro

1 for CoCo

Or would you suggest to link the CoCo into CoPro and have 1 LNC on Mobo instead?

Did I get it now? :-) Thanks for your help!

IMHO you're in the spot now.

You can do USB connection the way you prefer, it should do no difference ASAIK. I said "should" because sometimes Corsair stuff has some problem with USB ports (items not detected or connecting/disconnecting in loop, if you browse the forum you'll find there is a huge thread about). In this case you can use a powered USB hub like the one from NZXT, it's a few bucks and works in most cases (I'm currently using it because I ran out of USB headers).

Baio

IMHO you're in the spot now.

You can do USB connection the way you prefer, it should do no difference ASAIK. I said "should" because sometimes Corsair stuff has some problem with USB ports (items not detected or connecting/disconnecting in loop, if you browse the forum you'll find there is a huge thread about). In this case you can use a powered USB hub like the one from NZXT, it's a few bucks and works in most cases (I'm currently using it because I ran out of USB headers).

Baio

Perfect. Now I only have to wait for my parts to arrive... ETA 2025 :laughing:

Once again, thanks a lot for your help, stay safe & happy holidays!

• 1 month later...

I have these parts already, just like the OP.

7x QL120's (2x 3-Packs)

iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler

Commander Pro

What other parts do I need? I understand how to wire things but am not sure what items to purchase... Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by fallen_d3mon

• 2 months later...

So I followed this configuration and when I first booted, the 3 bottom fans and 3 side fans lit up. But now the only thing they do is spin, I can control them in ICUE but no lighting..

Also back fan is not lighting as well.

They are all spinning though..

What should I do to have full LED control other them ?

So I followed this configuration and when I first booted, the 3 bottom fans and 3 side fans lit up. But now the only thing they do is spin, I can control them in ICUE but no lighting..

Once CUE loads you are in "software mode" where the CUE settings apply. Unless you are using a Commander Core, you must configure the lighting set-up with your fan type and number so the program knows how many LEDs to generate. Once you do that, the normal stuff will appear in the Lighting Effects tab for your RGB controller type (Lighting Node Core, Commander Pro, etc).

The 7th fan needs to be on a RGB controller as well. That often makes it the odd one out. If it is, then Lighting Set-up like above but fan type x 1.