Corsair Community

3 ML120 fans, 2 QL140 fans and 3 QL120 fans

MCube74

My current system had 6 ML120 RGB fans. I want to add some QL fans in the system

I am thinking of removing 3 ML120 fans from the top of the case and the rear fan.

Then will get 2 QL140 fans and 3 QL120 fans

3 ML120 fans are already connected to the H150i radiator in the front of the case as a push effect.

2 QL120 fans will be connected in front of the radiator for the pull effect.

2 QL140 fans on top of the tower case and 1 QL120 fan as a rear fan.

So the 3 ML fans will be connected to the fan hub and then to the lighting node pro.

The 2 QL140 fans and 3 QL120 fans will be connected to the lighting node core.

Will this be okay?

In the lighting node core since I am using only 5 fans, can I connect the front 2 QL fans to number 1 and 2 and leave 3 empty while the top 2 QL fans and the rear ql fan to numbers 3 to 6?

Or I can’t leave any one blank and should connect the fans to 1 to 5?

Any suggestions?

Edited by MCube74

In the lighting node core since I am using only 5 fans, can I connect the front 2 QL fans to number 1 and 2 and leave 3 empty while the top 2 QL fans and the rear ql fan to numbers 3 to 6?

Or I can’t leave any one blank and should connect the fans to 1 to 5?

You must go in sequence starting at 1 for all lighting controllers except the Commander Core. The Lighting Node Core/Pro and the others all work in series, so skipping a slot will end the circuit right there.

The QL will go to the Lighting Node Core that comes in either the triple pack of 120s or the dual pack of 140s. Cost varies by location, but most likely you want the 120s as the triple and can then buy the 140s as singles. That has generally been the most economical solution.

ML+QL push pull. Sometimes when you fan types with different blade geometries on opposite sides of the radiator you will get some weird sound effects causes by differences in pressure. It's usually mild, not present at low speeds, and only likely to bother those that are picky about sound. I am in that group so I mention it. You will want to be able to control both sides of the radiator and sometimes moving one side's speed up/down slightly reduces the effect. Most people will never notice.

You must go in sequence starting at 1 for all lighting controllers except the Commander Core. The Lighting Node Core/Pro and the others all work in series, so skipping a slot will end the circuit right there.

The QL will go to the Lighting Node Core that comes in either the triple pack of 120s or the dual pack of 140s. Cost varies by location, but most likely you want the 120s as the triple and can then buy the 140s as singles. That has generally been the most economical solution.

ML+QL push pull. Sometimes when you fan types with different blade geometries on opposite sides of the radiator you will get some weird sound effects causes by differences in pressure. It's usually mild, not present at low speeds, and only likely to bother those that are picky about sound. I am in that group so I mention it. You will want to be able to control both sides of the radiator and sometimes moving one side's speed up/down slightly reduces the effect. Most people will never notice.

So if I connect 2 QL140 and 3 QL120 fans to the lighting node core I should put them in sequence from 1 to 5. Leaving the 6th slot empty is okay right?

My front radiator already has 3 ML 120 fans as push effect. Will soon add 2 QL120 fans for pull effect.

Then 2 top fans will be QL140 and 1 epreal QL120 fan.

So if I connect to the lighting node core I should connect the 2 QL120 fans on my radiator as 1 and 2.

The 2 top QL140 fans as 3 and 4 while the real ql120 fan will be 5.

For QL fans we only need to use the bundled Lighting Node Core. No fan hubs are needed for them right?

My ML120 fans on the radiator are connector thr fan hub and then to the lighting node pro channel 1 and the RGB light strip is connected to channel 2 in the lighting node pro.

So if I connect 2 QL140 and 3 QL120 fans to the lighting node core I should put them in sequence from 1 to 5. Leaving the 6th slot empty is okay right?

Yes.

So if I connect to the lighting node core I should connect the 2 QL120 fans on my radiator as 1 and 2.

Probably. Since the other controller starts with the ML 1-2-3, this will make it easier to keep the opposing sides of the radiator doing similar lighting. That is a relative term and the ML (4 LED) and QL (34 LED) are vastly different in structure. As far as throwing on a non-moving preset, good to go.

For QL fans we only need to use the bundled Lighting Node Core. No fan hubs are needed for them right?

Correct. The hub is built into the Core, so it's controller and power in one device. The trade-off is its only 1 channel (6 fans max) and it can only do fans.

My ML120 fans on the radiator are connector thr fan hub and then to the lighting node pro channel 1 and the RGB light strip is connected to channel 2 in the lighting node pro.

That's fine. You would not be able to run 5 QL on the LNP plus either of the other two. Power constraints. The set-up you have suggested is the ideal one for this hardware.

So on my H150i I have 3 ML120 Fans ( push) connected to 1,2,3 on the fan hub and then to lighting node pro.

Then 2 QL120 fans (Pull) connected to lighting node core as 1 and 2.

Then I connect the top 2 QL140 fans as 3 and 4 to the lighting node core

Finally the real QL120 fan will be connected as number 5 to the lighting node core.

That is it right?

Edited by MCube74

So on my H150i I have 3 ML120 Fans ( push) connected to 1,2,3 on the fan hub and then to lighting node pro.

Then 2 QL120 fans (Pull) connected to lighting node core as 1 and 2.

Then I connect the top 2 QL140 fans as 3 and 4 to the lighting node core

Finally the real QL120 fan will be connected as number 5to the lighting node core.

That is it right?

Yes, that's correct. And make sure to tell iCUE how many and what type of fan is on each; it won't auto-detect.

Yes, that's correct. And make sure to tell iCUE how many and what type of fan is on each; it won't auto-detect.

Thanks a lot. Will wok on it hopefully today. Waiting for my 6900XT to arrive.

Just a thought. For the 3 ML120 fans connected as push which do people normally consider as the fan for number 1, the top or the bottom. Does it matter?

Same for the 2 QL120 fans as pull on the radiator. I believe it has to go as a sequence?

So I am thinking if this would be ideal.

ML120 fans as push on radiator set to 1,2,3 from the bottom fan to top fan to the fan hub.

QL120 fans as pull on radiator set to 1,2 from bottom fan to top fan to the lighting node core.

QL140 fans on top of the case set to 3 and 4 from right to left (so the fan closest to number 1) will light up first

QL120 fan as rear fan will be set to 5 on the lighting node core

Will this be the ideal way?

Edited by MCube74