Corsair Community

[HELP] H100i RGB Platinum not recognized in iCUE.

Vitta

Hello all,

All my attempts were failed. I need you folks guidance to find a solution.

My H100i RGB Platinum is not detected in iCUE software. No issues with Strafe RGB, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB, Lightning Node and Asus B550-F Motherboard. The current setup of my AIO is as follows:

• 3-Pin Pump Header is connected via CPU-FAN.
  • Fans are powered up via Pump Splitter.
  • RGB cables are connected to Lightning Node (Corsair 4000X).

I am able to configure the RGB colors in iCUE as Lightning Node is detected, however I have no command over my cooler to set up the fan speeds. It runs between 4300RPM to 7336RPM according to HWinfo and fan noises are completely unbearable. It feels like a jet engine in games.

I've used another micro-USB cable; set it to both USB 2.0 and 3.1 rear ports, to no avail. Can someone please guide me what to do next? I'm clueless and I can't stand this noise.

But, would it be considered as an issue if you can plug a standard USB to a B550 Motherboard and it functions normally (proves USB-Header works as intended), but fails to recognize only the Corsair AIO?

Are we 100% sure it is not faulty, or related to a potential software problem?

But, would it be considered as an issue if you can plug a standard USB to a B550 Motherboard and it functions normally (proves USB-Header works as intended), but fails to recognize only the Corsair AIO?

Because the rear USB port and internal USB ports likely do not share the same hardware path. Running a USB-A to the back I/O has been a troubleshooting step or workaround for a long time for a multitude of issues. The fact that it works likely points at the problem area, but how your MB handles its data flow through the chipset is beyond me. Most likely there are separate controllers for those two areas. No one has reported this issue for KBs, mice, or other devices that connect to the rear. It has been reported for multiple internal devices, but the Platinum seems to be most common.

Are we 100% sure it is not faulty, or related to a potential software problem?

The x570 owners have had a long time to figure that out and it is not brand specific. The B550 are new and it was unclear if things had changed, but instances are starting to show up. If it is a software problem, then uninstalling CUE, reboot, and opening Device Manager would show you some Corsair X device on there. Instead, you likely have a yellow triangle indicating a problem. If this was a software problem, using the intermediary device or running to the back end would not make a difference. The "software error" would still prevent communication between software and device. The USB hub in the middle is able to talk to both ends and since it is not a "smart device", it's all down to electrical signals from one device to the next.

All that said, it is still possible to throw a monkey wrench into your system. Make sure you have installed your MBs chipset drivers.

Gotcha. In that case, has there been examples of folks (with or without X570s) solving the issue with a USB Port such as Commander Pro or NZXT Hub? That seems to be the most viable option to reduce the fan noise for now, at least.

Yikes... forgot about the real problem. Disconnect the PWM wires on the fans from the Platinum controller and stick them on any two motherboard connectors for now. MB control is not great when mated to CPU temp, so keep it in a narrow range like 40C=750rpm up to 80C=1300rpm. 1300 rpm is enough for anything besides running continuous 100% CPU load.

Nearly all of the x570 owners solve the issue with a USB Hub. That NZXT one is a popular choice, but others should work. It is still possible to have a bad cooler or an actual physical problem with the MB, but since your cooler does detect in the back this seems unlikely. There are a lot of threads about this going back to launch of the x570. Since you mentioned the NZXT specifically, it stands to reason you have seen some of them. It's hard to make any definitive statements about B550. It's really just in the last week or so this popped up again 4-5 times. Not sure if that's because a lot of new 5000 series AMD owners already had a x570, so a smaller number of B550 boards out there.

Yikes... forgot about the real problem. Disconnect the PWM wires on the fans from the Platinum controller and stick them on any two motherboard connectors for now. MB control is not great when mated to CPU temp, so keep it in a narrow range like 40C=750rpm up to 80C=1300rpm. 1300 rpm is enough for anything besides running continuous 100% CPU load.

Nearly all of the x570 owners solve the issue with a USB Hub. That NZXT one is a popular choice, but others should work. It is still possible to have a bad cooler or an actual physical problem with the MB, but since your cooler does detect in the back this seems unlikely. There are a lot of threads about this going back to launch of the x570. Since you mentioned the NZXT specifically, it stands to reason you have seen some of them. It's hard to make any definitive statements about B550. It's really just in the last week or so this popped up again 4-5 times. Not sure if that's because a lot of new 5000 series AMD owners already had a x570, so a smaller number of B550 boards out there.

My only issue with the first paragraph is, I have 6 fans installed in my current rig. 3 of 4000X, 2 of Platinum and 1 SP120 RGB for exhaust. I have no space left. I'm not a PC expert so, kind of worried if I can't set the correct speeds and it ends up overheating my 5600X.

There is just a slight correction I want to make, if I understood correctly. AIO's not detected in back; if the back is referring to the rear USB 2.0 port. You can't see any registered device neither with USBDefix nor in Device Manager. It does however, light up and adjust fan speed on its' own in idle or load. Load (Gaming) is where it becomes unbearable.

Also for reference, HWInfo reads these values for me:

dWiim8y.png

Would you be kind to explain them for me? I heard the real values in iCUE are 1/2 of what it is stated in CPU-FAN.

OK, if you don't have enough motherboard fan headers or PWM splitters on hand, leave them on the cooler and use whatever USB to USB A cable you did before to run it to the back I/O. That will give you control over the fans in CUE. The goal was to get you control in any way possible. You don't need the fans at near maximum regardless of what you are doing. The good news is its near impossible to overheat your CPU with a water cooling system, unless the water stops moving. The fans have an effect on the coolant and end CPU temp, but it's not what is doing the cooling. That's the physical conductivity between CPU and the AIO cooling plate/block.

However, I am now confused. Are you saying the cooler is not detected when connected to the back USB ports? That would make the above suggestion useless. At that point you need a splitter to pair off some of the other MB fans so you can get control over them.

Yes, the raw BIOS reported value will be double the expected RPM on some coolers - the Platinum series among them. The a fan's rotation and a pump are different and the Corsair software uses a divider of 2 to turn it into the expected number. That is pump speed and not fan speed. You won't be able to see fan speed in any MB/BIOS related data when the fans are connected to the cooler's internal fan controller. The max reported value is likely a data overshoot or error. The pump won't run 3300 rpm. That looks like HWMonitor you have going. Be careful running multiple full spectrum monitoring programs like AIDA, HWiNFO, HWMon at the same time as CUE. They end up trying to poll the same devices at the same time. That usually results in garbage data back (negative numbers or impossibly high values), but it also can result in loss of control - lighting or fan speeds. To run the full spectrum ones at the same time, you need to disable their monitoring of Corsair devices (like the AIO). Other programs that don't access Corsair internal devices (like Afterburner, EVGA Precision, etc) won't have this issue.

Thank you very much for response. It's greatly appreciated.

I guess my options are limited with either buying an Internal USB Hub to try my luck with iCUE or a set of splitters to control them over BIOS.

There is one more question I want to ask, though. When I first installed the AIO, I accidentally connected one of the front fans to Pump Splitter. The fan speed was instantly noticeable due to its low RPM which then, made me think the other one was handling all the pressure itself as an explanation to this noise. What would be the likely outcome if I swap fan pins: Pump ones are on MB and front ones are on pump?

The three front fans on the 4000x case are "SP-Elite". Unlike all the other SP fans they are PWM 4 pin, so they should work with the cooler. It's normal for any fan to go 100% for a second if you hot plug it in. It should not stay at 100% for more than a moment before settling down to the designated speed. The SP-Elites should have a lower max speed than the 2400 rpm for the cooler fans, so if the fan was at 50% PWM mode at that moment, the SP-Elite would run at a lower speed than the front ones. Swapping fans around like this is a funny work around, but I don't see any harm in the short term.

Long term you want/need the cooler to be recognized. The USB hub is the better solution. The splitters and MB header stuff was to get you control back right now and that noise under control.

Thank you once again.

I ordered NZXT's Internal USB Hub, it'll arrive next week and hopefully works. Fingers crossed. It's just confusing how Lightning Node Core works flawless in each USB port of MB while AIO's seem to be very stubborn in that regard.

That's another piece of evidence this is hardware related with different devices designed and manufactured in different time periods having different responses. There aren't a lot of LNP complaints. The Platinum coolers have more than other devices along with the Commander Pro. Are there more of those out there? Or are they different in some way? However, I don't think we need or can resolve that part and the hub works for most people.

I was contemplating to buy a Commander Pro until I stumbled upon a few complaints about AIO coolers not being recognized in it (H100i Platinum was one). They seemed to solve the issue with Internal USB Hub instead and the truth is, I don't necessarily need to control all of my 6 fans as they are already quiet except the radiator ones.

All I needed to know was, if one of my MB USB's were malfunctioning and it appears not. I'll certainly update this post with the outcome once I get my hands on the hub.

That's another piece of evidence this is hardware related with different devices designed and manufactured in different time periods having different responses. There aren't a lot of LNP complaints. The Platinum coolers have more than other devices along with the Commander Pro. Are there more of those out there? Or are they different in some way? However, I don't think we need or can resolve that part and the hub works for most people.

hey C' you may want to have a look at that one

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=202034

The hub works, but, it seems there may be more to it than just hardware. weird indeed.

Hello, I have same problem and same specs exactly like yours

ryzen 5 5600x

b550 MB

h100i platinum SE

the problem is icue cant detecting my aio

if usb hub will fix the problem

maybe ill buy commander pro

so please keep posting the info

thank you

Temporary Solution #1:

I ordered a fan splitter and connected it to CPU-OPT. This allows me to use the CHA-FAN(1-2) for radiator fans and has greatly reduced the noise, which was my main complaint. I connected two front 4000X fans to the splitter and one of the remaining to the pump-splitter. Everything works as intended. I can game in GTA V in 4K and still manage to maintain 50-55 degrees, 30-35 in idle.

However, I'll update the topic once again when NZXT Hub arrives as it leads to another not-so-big issue. Most H100i owners also complained that the pump sometimes release a vibrating sound that suppress fan noise in Quiet mode which seems to be what I'm experiencing with no control over iCUE. I am yet to test this, and hopefully will be able to once the hub arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

NZXT Hub isn't working. It reads Lightning Node Core, no signs of H100i is yet to be detected. I am frustrated at this point.

Any Corsair representative has a word to say about what seems to be a very common issue in-regards to AIO? I don't want to connect my fans to MB and wish to control them over iCUE as intended.