Corsair Community

Advice on iCue Fans

A_User

Hi guys! I'm a first-time PC builder and after a lot of research, I decided to jump into the Corsair ecosystem for my RGB-needs :)

However, I find it a bit confusing with all the different fan and RGB options, and would like to ask for some advice on my current planned build:

- iCue 4000X case (which comes with 3 iCue SP120 RGB Elite PWM fans)

- iCue H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm (which comes with 2 PWM fans as I understand it)

- 3x iCue SP120 RGB Pro fans that are non-PWM (DC)

- 4x Corsair RGB RAM modules

- 2x iCue Lightning Node Core that come with case/cooler

- Asus B550 Motherboard which has 2x 4-pin CPU fan headers and 3x 4-pin Case fan headers

With this planned build I have a few questions:

- Can I put two of the PWM SP120's in the H100i cooler, so that they are RGB and still PWM-controlled?

- Can I use a splitter to split 2 non-PWM fans in 1 of the fan headers? As I understand it, the non-PWM fans have only 3 pins and my motherboard has 4. But I need to split some fans as I only have 5 headers total, and 6 fans (when including CPU fans).

- Is it possible to put the non-PWM fans on low speed or will they run 100% all the time, as I read somewhere?

- Will the above build work at all or do I need additional components like a Commander Pro?

Any other tips would also greatly be appreciated, as I have no idea what things I might be missing..

I hope someone can guide me to the right direction, and I thank you in advance for reading my post.

Can't wait to get into the Corsair RGB world!

Edited by A_User

Which ‘H100i’ are you looking at? There currently are the H100i Pro, Platinum, XT, and Elite variations. A lot of the set up hinges on which cooler and the fans/controller it does or does not come with.

Ah, sorry, I was looking at the Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm

OK.

1) Yes, you can run the PWM SP-Elite that come with the case from the XT's internal controller. It will work with any PWM fan. The trick is the SP-Pro are DC 3 pin, so they need to be elsewhere.

2) You certainly can use a DC or PWM splitter for the two SP-PRO 3 pin fans. I generally advise people to buy PWM splitters whether they are intended for DC or PWM. A PWM splitter works for either fan type. The DC just with one. As a result, most splitters you will commonly find are PWM. It's OK to get that.

3) DC 3 pin are voltage controlled and typically run between 5-12v, although this is fan specific. As a general rule, a DC fan will never run as low as PWM fan with the same maximum. Asus MBs typically have a 60% minimum speed for DC fans, so those SP-Pros will bottom out around 800 RPM. That's OK for most people and Summertime for sure when there is more ambient room noise. If you obsess on quiet and noise, that could be an issue. It's OK if you do, just know going in.

4) The Commander Pro is not required for this set-up. It would allow you to move fan control off the motherboard and into the CUE software, which you will probably use quite a bit. You won't need the RGB channels on the Commander and the Lighting Node Core devices will handle the RGB power/control. This could be added later with minimal impact. Of note, the Commander Pro is individually selectable for DC/PWM fans. You can mix those on it, just like the MB.

Only two things to be aware of. 1) The SP-PRO and SP-Elite (from the case) can share a lighting controller. There RGB wires can go on one Lighting Node Core. They are all base 8 LEDs and this works great. 2) Chances are you will need a powered USB 2 hub. The AMD x570 boards have a lot of issues with detection. That appears to continue on B550, but the sample size is relatively small and its hard to separate this from missing drivers on the new motherboard etc. Either way, a lot of people need the hub anyway. Most boards have 1-2 internal USB 2.0 ports. You need at least two - 1 for the Node Core and 1 for the XT cooler.

• Confused 1

OK.

1) Yes, you can run the PWM SP-Elite that come with the case from the XT's internal controller. It will work with any PWM fan. The trick is the SP-Pro are DC 3 pin, so they need to be elsewhere.

2) You certainly can use a DC or PWM splitter for the two SP-PRO 3 pin fans. I generally advise people to buy PWM splitters whether they are intended for DC or PWM. A PWM splitter works for either fan type. The DC just with one. As a result, most splitters you will commonly find are PWM. It's OK to get that.

3) DC 3 pin are voltage controlled and typically run between 5-12v, although this is fan specific. As a general rule, a DC fan will never run as low as PWM fan with the same maximum. Asus MBs typically have a 60% minimum speed for DC fans, so those SP-Pros will bottom out around 800 RPM. That's OK for most people and Summertime for sure when there is more ambient room noise. If you obsess on quiet and noise, that could be an issue. It's OK if you do, just know going in.

4) The Commander Pro is not required for this set-up. It would allow you to move fan control off the motherboard and into the CUE software, which you will probably use quite a bit. You won't need the RGB channels on the Commander and the Lighting Node Core devices will handle the RGB power/control. This could be added later with minimal impact. Of note, the Commander Pro is individually selectable for DC/PWM fans. You can mix those on it, just like the MB.

Only two things to be aware of. 1) The SP-PRO and SP-Elite (from the case) can share a lighting controller. There RGB wires can go on one Lighting Node Core. They are all base 8 LEDs and this works great. 2) Chances are you will need a powered USB 2 hub. The AMD x570 boards have a lot of issues with detection. That appears to continue on B550, but the sample size is relatively small and its hard to separate this from missing drivers on the new motherboard etc. Either way, a lot of people need the hub anyway. Most boards have 1-2 internal USB 2.0 ports. You need at least two - 1 for the Node Core and 1 for the XT cooler.

Thank you so much for your response. That helps me a lot and I think I have all the knowledge now to go ahead and create the setup!