Corsair Community

Corsair H100i Platinum - Deafening noise!

Giamon

About 6 months ago, I purchased the AIO mentioned in the subject field.

I haven't had an issue with the AIO, until about a week ago, where I'd powered on the PC, left the room, and 10 minutes later, I heard a noise similar to what can be heard in the linked video.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Upon returning to the PC, I noticed that it was sitting at the BIOS screen, performing a restart. I immediately, turned it off and a few minutes later, turned it back on. The noise disappeared, and the issue hasn't returned since.

I'm at a loss as to what caused this. My assumption is that the pump had failed, causing the CPU to reach critical temps and forcing a restart. Event Logger was of no assistance, as the 'critical error' within didn't include any further information.

A pic of my setup including hardware info.

https://imgur.com/a/oDKFr7a

Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming

CPU: i5 8650k

GPU: RTX 2070 Super

PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000

Whilst I've heard a lot of great things about Corsair's warranty, I know it's going to be a nuisance if I need to send my desktop away as it is. I imagine that this would be the case.

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that this can happen from time to time, and that I shouldn't be too concerned about it :)

On the BIOS screen, did it say something like "CPU Fan Error"?

If so, the BIOS failed to recognize there was a device on the other end when it started. If it's making that racket, it was likely running but there may have been some electrical mishap where the MB didn't get the response signal back. A bit speculative for sure. It's also possible there was a power issue at the PSU and the pump was a victim along with everything else. No way to know at this point.

However, if this was a one time event, I would not be too worried. If it happens again, now there is a second occurrence and you may need to do more sleuthing. IF the pump were to fail (mechanically), you would get a near instant response from the AIO fans. You likely wouldn't get out of the room before they hit 2000 rpm plus and you'd know something happened. On the other hand, if power to the entire unit is at issue, there won't be any fan movement at all or lights, and that is the give away.