Corsair Community

VS512MB400 voltage question

Hello,

I upgraded my computer at the last weekend. My new components are:

RAM: four times VS512MB400 = 2048 MB

Mainboard: ASUS A8V Deluxe

BIOS: AMI BIOS 08.00.09 (build date: 04/07/05), ASUS calls it BIOS 1011 (most recent BIOS)

CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+ (Winchester)

The ASUS homepage and the mainboard manual state that it should be possible to run four VS512MB400 in dual channel mode.

This is true if I set the speed to 333 DDR, but it's wrong for 400 DDR.

So if I change the BIOS setting "Memclock to CPU Ratio" from "Auto" (produces 333 DDR) to "2:1 (DDR 400)", I get 2 - 4 errors in the fifth test of Memtest 86+ (ver. 1.55).

I tested:

- all RAMs separately

- in groups of two

- in different slots of the mainboard

without any errors.

Only if I use all four RAMs at the same time, the fifth test of Memtest fails.

I already increased the DDR voltage to 2.7 V. Before that, the number of errors was much higher.

In the BIOS it would be possible to set the voltage to 2.8 V, but I'm not sure if this could damage the RAM or if I could loose the warranty. The other timing settings are set to "Auto" => 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 8.

Should I try to set the voltage to 2.8 V?

Are there any other BIOS settings I should change?

In the end I want to apologize for any mistakes in my English.

Kind regards

Magoo

• Corsair Employee

Please put the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&4; make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB; load optimized/set up default, and set the following BIOS settings;

VS512MB400 or VS1GBKIT400

Advanced CPU/Memory Configuration:

Memclock Mode: Limit

Memclock Value: 2:1 (DDR400)

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled

Burst Length: 8

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

2T Command Rate: Enabled

Jumper Free/Frequency Voltage Control:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DDR Voltage: 2.8 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let's make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately my problem wasn't fixed. Now test 5 fails about every third time and always in the very first MB of the RAM. I tried to switch the RAMs, but the errors always occured in the first MB. So it seems that not the memory itself is the problem.

One of my friends told me that he read somewhere that the memory controller of the Wincester-CPUs have trouble with 4 double-sided RAMs under 400 DDR. Are there any settings in the BIOS that could help the memory controller of the CPU to work properly or do I have to exchange my 4x 512 MB vs. 2x 1 GB modules?

• Corsair Employee
Yes you may have to to run at DDR400, but you might try and add a few tenths of a volt to the CPU Vcore and see if that helps. In addition, I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to make sure one is not failing. Also with 4 modules you would need 48 Watts just for memory, can you tell me the make and model of PSU you have?

Yes you may have to to run at DDR400, but you might try and add a few tenths of a volt to the CPU Vcore and see if that helps. In addition, I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to make sure one is not failing. Also with 4 modules you would need 48 Watts just for memory, can you tell me the make and model of PSU you have?

PSU: Sharkoon Silentstorm 480 Watt (SHA480-9A)

RAM: four times VS512MB400 = 2048 MB

Mainboard: ASUS A8V Deluxe

CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+ (Winchester)

Graphics Card: ASUS V9999 Gamers Edition (Geforce 6800)

3 hard disk: 160 GB each

1 DVD-ROM

I think the PSU should be powerfull enough.

I checked all RAMs individually and they are fine.

It seems to be the memory controller of the AMD Athlon64 (Winchester).

I increased the CPU voltage from 1.45 V to 1.55 V in small steps, but I didn't see any tendency of an improvement. I don't want to break it, so I think I won't increase it any more.

How much is the performance difference of the complete PC in a 3D game, if I use 333 MHz instead of 400 MHz for the RAM. Will I loose 16.75 %?

Archived