Corsair Community

Am I out of luck?

whovous

I purchased a Gig of ValueSelect Model VS1GBKit400 from NewEgg about six weeks ago. I did not test it very thoroughly before installing it. I am fairly sure I removed all of the labels before putting heatspreaders on each of the two 512MB sticks. I say fairly sure because I have not yet tried to get them off, as doing so usually ruins the spreaders.

Major problems running Prime95 even at stock speeds led me to MemTest86. One stick produced zero errors on a single pass of all eight tests, while the other produced 17-21 errors per pass depending on which slot it was in.

Basically, this computer works far better with one stick than with two.

I have read the FAQs. In particular, I have read about removing the labels. Do I have any warranty options at this point?

Assuming I do not have any warranty options, is there any reason I should not buy just a single stick to replace the bad stick?

Thank you,

Phil

• Corsair Employees
Before you do that, can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Here are the basics of my system:

DFI LANParty - NFII Ultra B

AMD Mobile 2500+

Corsair DDR400 ( 2 x 512)

Ultra X-Connect 500w PS

Chaintech FX5700

Seagate 120MB HD

The AMD normally runs at 13.5 x 133, or roughly 1.8GHz. I've been running it most of the time at 9 x 200 (1.8GHZ) instead. I left most settings at the optimal/automatic level, but I did run the multiplier up to 10.5 and the CPU voltage up from 1.45 to 1.5v. I did not change any RAM settings, other than to set the CPU and RAM to 1:1.

If you need to know anything else, just ask.

Thanks,

Phil

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with the following settings and ues http://www.memtest.org to test them.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

CPU Multiplier: 9

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Then test them one at a time.

I downloaded Memtest+ v 1.55 and tested one stick at a time with the multiplier at 9 x 200 and DRAM voltage at 2,7v. The 2.5-3-3-8 settings were there by default.

I kept the 1:1 setting (FSB to RAM) as I did not see an option either in BIOS nor in Memtest that mentioned a "resulting frequency" of 166MHz. I do not know what this means, but presume the 1:1 setting takes care of it. Other options included AUTO or BY SPD, as well as various fractional settings that I am pretty sure you did not want me to touch.

As with the older Memtest v 3.2, one stick completed a pass with no errors. The other stick had fewer errors under 1.55 than it did under 3.2, but it still had errors. There were 2 errors in test 4, 1 in test 6, and 1 in test 7.

Please advise what you would like me to do from here.

Thanks,

Phil

I very much appreciate the offer, but before I send it in, I'd like to make sure there is no misunderstanding. As I said in the first post, I am pretty sure I removed all of the stickers/labels from the sticks before putting the heatspreaders on. Will you still replace the defective stick?

Thanks,

Phil

• Corsair Employees

Phill

According to our warranty policy that would void the warranty. However, I would suggest you send an email to our Customer Service and explain the situation and when you send the module or modules you would need to send them complete with the H/S and you may be asked to provide a copy of your invoice. But Customer Service will be the ones to ask, and we may need to inspect the modules before we can make that determination.

Yup. It turns out my message with the memory was not as clear as it could have been, so Melissa called me to sort out the details. My replacement ships today, and I will have a tracking number shortly.

You guys rock!

Phil

Will do. The memory is close enough (Philly) that it could easily be delivered to DC tomorrow, but I suspect UPS will make sure it takes three days and delivers it on Friday, instead.

Whenever it arrives, I appreciate the service I have received.

Phil

Archived