Corsair Community

Corsair Hyrdo H100i RGB Platinum SE RGB and usb connection issue

Youngster

Hey guys first post here. Having an issue with my H100i platinum SE after in put my new Ryzen 5800x in. One of the fans begins flickering to the default rainbow colour scheme after the computers been on for a few minutes. If I start playing a game the flickering becomes worse and eventually both fans start flickering. It gets to a point where it's so bad and I start hearing the usb connect and disconnect repeatedly as well. I also don't think it's doing its job cooling anymore as my CPU temps go well above what they should be. Finally, if I check the rpm on icue it's showing around 20k + which is obviously wrong. I tried everything. I changed the fans, I swapped the internal usb port it was using. I uninstalled hwinfo as well. Any suggestions? Does this sound like I need to take it back to my retailer?

Ryzen 5800x

Msi gaming trio 3080

Asus prime X570-p prime

Corsair 3200 8x4

For the USB connect/disconnect, this is a problem x570 boards owners often face (regardless of brand) and not limited to a specific Corsair device. Most of them find relief by using an intermediary USB hub to act as go between. In my experience powered hubs with a SATA connection work better.

For the cooling aspect, we'll need more details but obviously this is a new CPU so the most likely reason is adjusting to the new behavior and of course the classic heavy handed Auto voltage. Look at the change in coolant temperature (H100i Platinum Temp) to assess the cooler's efficiency. I don't expect a lot of movement on these new AMD CPUs -- perhaps 4-5C for a 10 min moderate CPU test.

If you are seeing crazy, impossible data reported in CUE, it is most likely linked to running another monitoring program at the same time that is also attempting to interact with the Corsair devices. HWiNFO and AIDA are common, especially if you have a new CPU and suddenly care about more detailed statistics not available in CUE. In those programs you need to disable monitoring of Corsair devices. HWiNFO usually prompts you, but it can miss a device here or there. You also will need to restart the Corsair service after doing this (setting panel in CUE).

For the USB connect/disconnect, this is a problem x570 boards owners often face (regardless of brand) and not limited to a specific Corsair device. Most of them find relief by using an intermediary USB hub to act as go between. In my experience powered hubs with a SATA connection work better.

For the cooling aspect, we'll need more details but obviously this is a new CPU so the most likely reason is adjusting to the new behavior and of course the classic heavy handed Auto voltage. Look at the change in coolant temperature (H100i Platinum Temp) to assess the cooler's efficiency. I don't expect a lot of movement on these new AMD CPUs -- perhaps 4-5C for a 10 min moderate CPU test.

If you are seeing crazy, impossible data reported in CUE, it is most likely linked to running another monitoring program at the same time that is also attempting to interact with the Corsair devices. HWiNFO and AIDA are common, especially if you have a new CPU and suddenly care about more detailed statistics not available in CUE. In those programs you need to disable monitoring of Corsair devices. HWiNFO usually prompts you, but it can miss a device here or there. You also will need to restart the Corsair service after doing this (setting panel in CUE).

Thanks for the tip I will try buy a usb hub and hope for the best. But just some additional info, I've been using this board and cooler for months the problem just started a

Day ago. I don't have any monitoring programs on my computer anymore but the readings are still way off. Also the errors in Rgb increase with load. If I'm just using Google Chrome etc it seems fine just slightly higher than usual temps. But if I load a game like warzone the rgb errors and usb connects and disconnects get more and more. Also my other computer fans start ramping up their rpm way more than usual following the curve I've set them which may suggest the cooler isn't doing its job? Not sure what do you think?

You probably had to do a BIOS update to make the board 5000 series ready. Possible it is related and we have no idea what’s in there. Not enough 5000 data yet to say.

What was in the socket before? A 3600-3900x series? Most people when they first get a new cpu will leave the settings on auto at first while they a feel for things. So aside from voltage differences, there are actual behavior differences as well. I believe your cpu is running warmer, but the question is if this is related to more voltage, natural for 5000 series CPUs (?), some auto overclock added by the motherboard vendor, or any of the other complications that come with a new cpu. One thing is more certain — if the cooler is fading or lacking performance capability, you will see large changes in coolant temperature. It will go up quickly, stay high, and take forever to come back down.

Another possibility is the mounting on the new instal is not perfect and heat not transferred. Aside from taking it off and looking, you can usually spot this if you see extreme cpu temp spikes for normal tasks like opening browsers, folders, etc. however, most of the these changes are small and contact good. The earlier factors are more probable.

My assumption was the cooler was dropping in/out of cue and thus the lighting was rapidly shifting from software mode to HW mode and back and forth. It is certainly possible the higher load during gaming is a exacerbating the CPU interrupts and you might even see that show up in the task manager. It’s likely this related the usb problem, but running a quick repair install may be worth the 2 min. Go to Windows Settings -> Apps and locate Corsair iCUE. Select “modify” and follow the repair install instructions. This will not delete settings or profiles. Do you have any other Corsair devices and are they acting strange? Is the RAM RGB and does it drop its software lighting during all this?

You probably had to do a BIOS update to make the board 5000 series ready. Possible it is related and we have no idea what’s in there. Not enough 5000 data yet to say.

What was in the socket before? A 3600-3900x series? Most people when they first get a new cpu will leave the settings on auto at first while they a feel for things. So aside from voltage differences, there are actual behavior differences as well. I believe your cpu is running warmer, but the question is if this is related to more voltage, natural for 5000 series CPUs (?), some auto overclock added by the motherboard vendor, or any of the other complications that come with a new cpu. One thing is more certain — if the cooler is fading or lacking performance capability, you will see large changes in coolant temperature. It will go up quickly, stay high, and take forever to come back down.

Another possibility is the mounting on the new instal is not perfect and heat not transferred. Aside from taking it off and looking, you can usually spot this if you see extreme cpu temp spikes for normal tasks like opening browsers, folders, etc. however, most of the these changes are small and contact good. The earlier factors are more probable.

My assumption was the cooler was dropping in/out of cue and thus the lighting was rapidly shifting from software mode to HW mode and back and forth. It is certainly possible the higher load during gaming is a exacerbating the CPU interrupts and you might even see that show up in the task manager. It’s likely this related the usb problem, but running a quick repair install may be worth the 2 min. Go to Windows Settings -> Apps and locate Corsair iCUE. Select “modify” and follow the repair install instructions. This will not delete settings or profiles. Do you have any other Corsair devices and are they acting strange? Is the RAM RGB and does it drop its software lighting during all this?

I have the latest bios update but it was launched just before the 5000 series launched. I wil double check for another one. I'm just about to buy a usb hub now so I will report if this hopefully fixes the problem.

I had a 3600 in the socket before had no issues. What settings should I have changed? I just activated DOCP like my previous one had.

I mounted it correctly and just re did it to make sure as well so I'm 99% that's not the issue. When I get home I'll do the repair you suggested and report back on my results. Hopefully it works. At what point would it be safe to assume it's something wrong with the cooler? I have corsair vengeance ram and a commander pro with six fans and none of them have acted up. Also I think I mentioned this before but I currently have no conflicting monitoring software because I uninstalled them all but the rpm being reported is definitely wrong. And even uninstalling those programs I never really had the issue previously

Quick update, got the nzxt hub and did the repair to icue. Still no change. Temps are still very high and same rgb issues that increase with load. The usb disconnecting issue hasn't appeared yet but that only comes when the flashing rgb issue becomes really bad when CPU temps go super high and I haven't let them get past 85 before shutting down. The bios detects the aoi pump spinning at 2400rpm but temps keep going up so it's not cooling efficiently. At this point is it safe to assume it's a problem with the cooler and nothing else?

Despite the usb and rgb issue, I'm convinced this isn't cooling my pc effectively and I'm not sure why. Idle around 50-60 simple tasks boost it to 70-80 and hangs around 80+ if I open a game for two minutes. According to icue the two rad fans are one is around 2k rpm and other is 30krpm and the pump is 2400. I'm pretty sure I can hear the pump spinning if I listen really carefully. I've re attatched the pump to the CPU three times with a re application of thermal paste everytime so I don't think it's a contact issue either.

Is it possible for the pump to still be spinning and this just not cool my CPU? Temps aren't going above 85 but 85 is still insanely high for what was being done on the pc

50-60C idle is concerning and the fact the fans are running at 2000 rpm (or whatever the other one is doing) is also alarming. They should only do that if the coolant temp is above 40C.

What is the H100i Temp in CUE right now? It is on the right side of the pump in the AIO page.

50-60C idle is concerning and the fact the fans are running at 2000 rpm (or whatever the other one is doing) is also alarming. They should only do that if the coolant temp is above 40C.

What is the H100i Temp in CUE right now? It is on the right side of the pump in the AIO page.

The temp on icue is around 33 but again I'm not sure how accurate that is.

33C in the normal range for most users. If the cooler were failing, it's temperature would continually drift upwards and not cool down until you power the PC off. Coolant temp is minimum possible CPU temp with zero voltage. So if the coolant is 33 and your idle is 50-60C, then your CPU is in an elevated voltage state at idle. Look at the Vcore reading when in this state. That doesn't mean the cooler isn't working. It means the CPU isn't at idle.

We don't have a lot of data for the 5000 series CPUs and I have not started researching their behavior. However, the conditions you are describing are the typical results from heavy Auto voltage and/or MB BIOS standard "all core boost" to the Turbo frequency. In effect, the MB overclocks the CPU automatically right out of the box. I would start looking at 5000 series guides from users or Asus to learn more about the settings and expected behavior.

That leaves the strange RPM readings. 99% of the time this from other software conflicts. This can include those that leave their driver active when not running, like the installer version of HWiNFO. A bad hardware part reading would likely be more variable or not read at all. Consistent impossible numbers smack of software conflict. However, at this point, you should probably start a support ticket with Corsair as well, in the event the the cooler does not need to be replaced.