Corsair Community

TWINX-CMX1024-3200C2PT Not Running CAS2

Hello,

Following system:

Intel P4 3.2C Northwood

P4C800 Deluxe

1GB Corsair TWINX-CMX1024-3200C2PT

No overclocking.

Computer will not boot to Windows with the rated timings: 2-3-3-6.

Only way I can get into Windows is with 2.5-3-3-6.... Attempted increasing DDR voltage to 2.6, no dice.

Bad ram?

2.5-3-3-6 will boot, but the RAM will not at CAS2. I don't want RAM that is not doing what its rated.

I suggested this for testing purposes. I would not expect you to compromise what you paid for. However, there is no guarantee that the RAM is at fault. So, if you can get Memtest to run and test the RAM, that is a the best first step to solving the problem.

Thats the thing I cannot get into memtest with it set at CAS 2, it won't get to that point.

I understood that from above. See if it will pass Memtest at 2.5,3,3,6. Keep in mind this is for investigative purposes only. IF the modules fail at that speed then you have your answer. If they do not fail at 2.5,3,3,6 then you can most likely eliminate the RAM as the culprit. Bad modules will most often fail at either of those settings.

Keep in mind that you have to disable Legacy USB Support in the bios to get Memtest to run with these ASUS MOBOs. Also, set the RAM voltage to 2.75v. Make sure your Memory Turbo is at AUTO, not enabled.

If I disable USB legacy support... then I won't be able to use my keyboard, mouse, or external hard drive.

What else could it be if its not the RAM that won't let it run CAS 2?

USB keyboards and mice work just fine in the bios with legacy USB disabled. And, you will only need to disable legacy USB while using Memtest. You won't need your external HD while testing memory. You can turn it back on after the test.

There are literally dozens of things other than the RAM that can cause problems. Incorrect bios settings, a weak PSU, a bad MOBO, a bad CPU, etc can do this. However, I don't want to speculate until we can eliminate some variables. The easiest way to eliminate the RAM is to run Memtest at 2.5,3,3,6 and at the other settings I listed above.

Is there some reason you won't/can't run Memtest with the RAM at 2.5,3,3,6 with Legacy USB Support disabled?

Mike.

Archived