Corsair Community

RTX 3080 FE and AX860

andydsm

Hi,

The system power cycles (shuts down then boots back up after about a second) while gaming.

Even though I have no measuring equipment, I did the following quick and simple test to conclude that my AX860 is indeed the problem;

I loaded up 3Dmark's port royal benchmark on loop and maxed out my RTX 3080's power budget, the result was problem free looping for over an hour, so I can safely exclude the card being faulty.

However, the CPU is not being taxed at all in this otherwise extremely graphics intensive load, so within a second after introducing a CPU load the system power cycled.

The PSU is almost 4 years old.

Edited by jonnyguru

• Corsair Employees

Since this is about a completely different, and much older, PSU, I split it off into it's own thread. Also, the GPU is different (3080 vs. 3090).

Please list your complete system specs, including what motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc.

Thanks!

Edited by jonnyguru

As a longtime fan of your work and actually reading the AX860 review back in the day, I made the decision to buy that unit way back in 2014 and do not regret it one bit. I am honored that you are willing to look into this issue :)

I didn't list my PC's specs, since I did fill out a PC spec form, right after I registered my account in the forum, the system consists of:

RTX 3080 FE

i9 9900K (OCd to 5.0 GHz at 1.20V, no AVX offset)

16GB Dual channel G.Skill Flarex 3200 CL14 kit, running at stock speeds and timings

1x NVMe SSD

2x SATA3 2.5" SSDs

5x 140mm sub 2000rpm fans (including the CPU aircooler fan)

1x PCIE x1 X-Fi Titanium soundcard

Peripherals:

- Printer

- K95 RGB keyboard

- Logitech powerplay mat + G502 mouse

That's pretty much everything that draws power and is hooked up to the system.

It would be really interesting if it turns out Nvidia straight out misled buyers about the 30 series' PSU requirements.

Edited by andydsm

• Corsair Employees

It would be really interesting if it turns out Nvidia straight out misled buyers about the 30 series' PSU requirements.

No. I don't think that's it. This is the first issue I've heard about the 3080 and an 850W. But then again, the AX860 is older and wasn't validated for the 3000 series. I have heard of a number of older Seasonic built PSUs not working with the 3000 series.

What does that mean?

AX1500i is not EOL, if that's what you mean.

I thought it got superseded by the AX1600i, since the 1500i was introduced 2014 or 2015 if i remember correctly.

I live in Europe and don't see many AX1500is on offer anymore.

• Corsair Employees
I thought it got superseded by the AX1600i, since the 1500i was introduced 2014 or 2015 if i remember correctly.

I live in Europe and don't see many AX1500is on offer anymore.

Oh god... I'm sorry. You're right. I read that as AX1600i.

Yes... The AX1600i did replace the AX1500i.

Oh god... I'm sorry. You're right. I read that as AX1600i.

Yes... The AX1600i did replace the AX1500i.

Well... I bought it today and it's already installed. So far no power cycling at the same tests I've conducted where the AX860 failed to hold up.

Although I've read many reviews on the AX1500i and all are extremely positive, could you please shed some light if these units are good and reliable after being on the market for 5+ years?

I really want to know if I've made a good choice.

The AX1600i is fine if you want to use RTX 3090 SLI

One card will tax a 850W PSU which is why I suggest a 1000W model to have some modicum of efficiency

My existing RTX 2080 hardly warms up with games like Halo so I wonder how much the power draw of the RTX 3080 will be in comparison.

I have one of the power monitor units on the plug which measures everything on the desk. I tested it with known constant loads and it's close to actual power.