Corsair Community

SF600 Platinum: popping sounds and system failed to power on

JhonnyBravo

Hello all!

So I have a SF600 Platinum which I've been using for about 4 months in a fresh built system. In that time I have occasionally heard a popping noise come from the direction of the machine while in use, which I found concerning but it didn't seem to affect it's operation. Then last night I went to turn on my PC and it wouldn't power on, I then realized that the motherboard LEDs were not illuminated.

I unplugged and re-inserted all the power cables, at the PSU end and component end, I then removed my graphics card and cleared the Motherboard CMOS, none of which helped as the system still wouldn't power on. I then noticed that the motherboard LEDs were illuminating for approximately 2 seconds in every 20, in an on / off cycle with a very long 'off' phase. Finally the LEDs illuminated permanently, shortly followed by a soft 'pop' which I'm 90% sure came from the PSU.

I powered on the system and it ran fine, used it for a couple of hours while I browsed some forums looking for answers until I discovered the SF600's were subject to a recall. The upper range for the affected units is 201148xx, my unit was part of lot number 201248xx, which seems quite close, although I don't know how the numbering works.

Basically I am wondering what criteria Corsair used to determine affected units, could my unit be affected by the fault that prompted the recall?

I have stopped using the machine now and removed the PSU ready to RMA it, but I'd appreciate anyone weighing in on this, specifically regarding the source of the popping noises, and whether this unit is possibly affected by the recall issue, despite falling just outside the range of affected lot numbers?

Just for clarity, the noise in question is definitely a pop, not a click as one would expect from a relay. Also I am aware that there is a noise which can be caused by inrush current charging the capacitors if they are drained, but the noises my system makes can happen at any time - not upon flipping the PSU power switch.

• Corsair Employees
The upper range for the affected units is 201148xx, my unit was part of lot number 201248xx, which seems quite close, although I don't know how the numbering works.

Well, first two digits is year. Next two is week. So it could very well be the same issue.

Well, first two digits is year. Next two is week. So it could very well be the same issue.

Thanks, this is pretty much what I was looking to clarify. I was wondering whether there was a specific change in the manufacturing process for all units after 201148xx, or if the guys at Corsair had to make an educated guess and perhaps some affected units fell outside the 'net'

Either way you are right, I'll RMA this unit and see how I go with a more recent one, thanks!