Corsair Community

Cooler & Fans staying on after system Shutdown

ceaton94

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me. Just finsihed building my new system wich is running great. Specs filled in on my profile.

However, when i shutdown the PC, all the fans that are connected to the commander core and my H150i Elite increase RPM (you can hear this, although i dont know if the pump is still running at this point) and the lighting stays on on both the pump and the fans. Is there a way for when i shutdown the computer, evrything shuts down?

I have tried windows fast boot, and the ERP setting in the motherboard, but neither of these have turned it all off. The motherboard lights and everything else turns off, its just the items connected tio the commander core which i think could be the issue.

If you need any more information, pleae let me know. I could try and get a video of it happpening if that helps?

The fans, lighting, and cooler should all power down complete at shutdown. This is a general problem that can have multiple sources, but the devices themselves cannot control this. They get their power from the SATA cable from the PSU. The fans likely max out because their control sensor is no longer attainable (CPU temp, GPU temp, etc). The pump always runs when the H150i has power. It cannot be shut off except by total system shutdown.

The OS, motherboard, and PSU are part of the shutdown communication chain. Somewhere in those steps something is not happening that tells the PSU it's time to shutdown and kill power to the SATA. If this is happening every single time, that is a bit concerning. It could be a motherboard problem. It could be the PSU. Troubleshooting both of those is difficult. With the system powered down and the PSU switch flipped off, try disconnecting the 24 pin cable, then reconnect it securely.

Some people has Windows OS issues. Right click the Windows menu and select the Admin version of Powershell. Type the command "sfc /scannow" (no quotes). It will run a short diagnostic of the OS. This is hit or miss (mostly miss in my experience), but it is something you can try without penalty. Another thing to watch out for is Windows Hibernate (vs actual shutdown), however the PSU should still shut SATA down in that state.

In the meantime if this is still happening, you'll need to flip the PSU switch if components do not shutdown. Be careful with the ERP settings. That can have unintended consequences and most people do not want to use these.