Corsair Community

Possible bad ram.

Mynock

Just a few days ago I started having a serious problem with my computer. It is a self built custom, just over a year old now.

Basic specs are...

P4 3.0C

Abit IC-7 Mobo

ATI 9800 Pro 128mg

120gig WD SATA HD

Creative Audigy Live!

3Com NIC

Running on XP Pro

and finally, 2x Corsair XMS 3200LLPT - was bought in a twinx1024-3200llpt pack.

This machine has performed great for almost 13 months now - until the other day.

I started getting really bad screen tearing at 1st - and then graphics errors - ranging from streaks and lines across my screen, to snow flake type dots covering my screen. Within 30 seconds of these graphical glitches, it would hang and/or reboot itself.

My 1st thought was video....so I put in an older card and it was ok for a few hours - and then it did similar things, and hung. I then borrowed a newer vid card from a friend, and tried that in the system, and again - was having video/hanging issues.

So I reseated my RAM, and most all the cables - just to make sure everything was golden - and started her back up - and everything was running smoothly for awhile. And then it returned. Its very random - I can be up and running for hours on end and no problems, then all of a sudden - I cant keep it booted for even minutes.

I also have gotten 2 blue screens - indicating memory address errors, and IRQ problems. I have double and triple checked all my bios and windows IRQ handling, and nothing is shared or conflicting.

I am not sure if it is the RAM or the Mobo at this point - but would like some advice and/or confirmation of which - so that I can seek warranty on one of the items and hope it resolves my issues.

Thanks in advance,

-Joseph Dawson

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. If you do find one is failing then please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if you get errors with both modules that might suggest some other problem and I would encourage you to test them in another system.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. If you do find one is failing then please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if you get errors with both modules that might suggest some other problem and I would encourage you to test them in another system.

It ended up being my PSU. Thanks for your help.

Archived