Corsair Community

How can I control 13 QL fans?

thomas.balint16

You'll just need two powered PWM fan hubs.

One to power the front push-pull (6 fans) and one for the top push pull (6 fans).

Since you don't need individual control on fans from the same radiator, that's only 3 headers you need.

If that's for custom loop, you will have headers to spare for the water pump(s), so one CoPro is enough.

RGBwise though you'll have to add controllers but the triple packs of QL fans come with LNcores so you should be all set.

The Hydro X pump, CPU block, and GPU block will daisy chain together on 1 RGB channel, but still be independently controllable (both each device and each LED). That would be 1 channel on the Commander Pro.

I agree with the above and you are better off using some inexpensive PWM hubs to power the push-pull sets. No reason to burn 12 headers for individual control, along with an extra $70. Two 8 fan PWM hubs are about the same size as 1 Commander. Are the fans on the radiators Corsair RGB as well? If so, then we need to figure out a lighting power control scheme for those as well.

The Hydro X pump, CPU block, and GPU block will daisy chain together on 1 RGB channel, but still be independently controllable (both each device and each LED). That would be 1 channel on the Commander Pro.

I agree with the above and you are better off using some inexpensive PWM hubs to power the push-pull sets. No reason to burn 12 headers for individual control, along with an extra $70. Two 8 fan PWM hubs are about the same size as 1 Commander. Are the fans on the radiators Corsair RGB as well? If so, then we need to figure out a lighting power control scheme for those as well.

Yes all 13 fans in the case are corsair QL 140mm with 2 420mm radiators. So 6 front 6 top. And 1 fan in the back. 13 total fans. I bought most things from corsair hoping to make it easier to sync. I got the ram dominator ram also.

So any PVM hub will work? And than do I connect the pvm hub into the commander or onto the motherboard?

Another question I would have. The case is from cooler master and it has built in lights. The case came with a hub. I guess those I won't be able to sync with corsair I'll have to set it up separate right?

Edited by thomas.balint16

I can't remember anyone coming back and saying the PWM hub they bought doesn't respond to PWM control. I am sure there are some $2 circuit boards out there that might be on the edge. The PWM hub will have 1 main control line back to a Commander PWM port. All the fans on the hub will run the same speed, as designated by you in the CUE software. Since you likely need to buy 2 (whereas most people just need 1), you can make an argument to spend a little more and get a 2nd Commander Pro. However, be aware that this then adds the 2nd device into the CUE software and you are going to click the wrong one more than a few times. When I was running two simultaneously, this was a bit of a nuisance. It also does not give you any special advantages, other than independent control (which you don't need) and it does provide an extra 2 RGB channels. You don't need those at this time, but perhaps you will.

When you buy the QL, make sure you get two "dual packs" or multi-packs of 2x140. Those will have the Lighting Node Core you need as a RGB controller for the QL. Unfortunately, the per unit cost and price difference on the QL140 single vs QL140 dual pack is usually apparent, unlike the 120 size which seems to take a regular discount. That re-introduces the 2nd Commander Pro price evaluation. Is the difference between the 2x140 pack (x2) enough to justify the 2nd Commander plus the two RGB Lighting Hubs ($10 each) you will need to obtain from Corsair. Those RGB hubs are hard to come by and as I write this, the price on Amazon US for the QL140 dual pack is just slightly more than the per unit fan cost. So that brings things back around to "do you want 2 extra RGB channel".

The "simple" set-up -> Two Lighting Node Cores x 6 QL fans each. Those devices connect back to the system via USB 2. The Commander Pro has 2 passthrough ports for that. Hydro X series blocks will connect to Commander Pro RGB Channel #1 as a series. that leaves you one spare RGB channel for strips or something else.

The dual Commander Set-up is Commander 1 -> 2 RGB Lighting Hubs x 6 QL each. Hydro X blocks go on Commander 2 in RGB channel 1. Still one channel left over for strips. RGB Lighting Hubs must be acquired separately.

Case lights - it will depend on what kind they are. 12v will be a no and that needs either the MB or case controller. If 5v then maybe, but you need some type of 3rd party adapter to be able to connect it to the extra lighting channel on the Commander. This is probably something that can be done, but it is does require specific information about the connector.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help

Ok so I will get 2 packs that come with lighting node cores. So just to make sure I got this right

The RGB cable of the 12 fans go into the lighting node core. Than the 2 USB connectors from the lighting node cores go into the commander.

The FAN cable of the 12 fans go into the PWM HUB. Where does the cable comming out from the PVM hub go? Into the fan channels on the commander?

The hydro x CPU / GPU / PUMP all go into the #1 light Chanel on the commander.

So that leaves me with 1 light Chanel on the commander but I will need that for the 13th fan that's on the back of the case.

The case lights are 5v adressble rgb I belive. It's the Cooler master cosmos c700m case.

Also could you recommend me a PWM hub? Thanks!

Ugh.. the 13th fan. I forgot about that. The controllers are all base 6 so these 7,8,13 numbers create something of an issue. In this case, it really is the odd man out with dual banks of 3 on each side.

Three options I can think of:

1) There are some third party adapters that will let you connect a single fan to a RGB channel (like #2 on the Commander). However, this burns the channel for the case lights and it will act like an independent group, not an extension of one of the others.

2) There are third party RGB splitters that would allow you to run 2 QL from a single RGB port on a Core/RGB Hub. Those two fans will be duplicates of each other. In some arrangements this is not a problem, but I am not sure which of your fans you be OK duplicating. This is likely to create an odd ending to the lighting chain.

3) Get another Core in the QL packs and again the single rear fan is alone on a channel, doing it's own thing. At this point, you will definitely need some type of USB 2.0 hub to handle all the required connections. You might need that anyway depending on other USB requirements for the rest of the system.

Aside from the splitter option, you are going to end up with an odd fan and the end of the chain. This does not matter for static or non-fan-to-fan moving effects, but those are the fun ones on the QL. Give some thought as you how you would like the other two groups to go. Based on what you've laid out, I might go for the interior sitting fans as a group 1-6 and their matching mate on the other side of the radiator as the other 1-6. This will allow you create an effect for 1-6, then duplicate it in the other Core. Both groups will then appear synchronized and each fan on each side of the radiator does the same pattern. The other option would be each radiator is a group 1-6 and the fans go up one side and back the other. That might not be so appealing and since the QL are already double sided, it is going to feel slow. Within that group you also could program 1-3 and 4-6 to do a separate but identical matching patterns on opposite sides, but then you can do that with the first arrangement as well.

The PWM hub a master control PWM wire that connects back to the Commander and uses 1 PWM port. It then gives that signal to every fan on the hub. This is the one I use, but there are a lot of choices here. Mostly you are looking at price and availability. Do note that a 4 way wire is not a PWM hub. It needs to have a separate SATA power source to take the current load off the controller and I don't recommend the 4 way powered wire splitters anyway. Too many issues.

Honestly I don't think I want any patern going from one fan to another. Most likly just the same patern in every fan. If anything later on I decide that I do want it than what you said would work have the inner 6 fans match and the outter 6.

I'm going to buy that PWM hub u said. So that's going to connect its on sata power and connect 8 fans into it that will take up 1 fan channel on the commander. And than I have 5 fan Chanels left for the rest 5.

As for RGB I will have 2 x6 node cores and one I will split with a splitter so the 13th fan can fit. Correct? Any splitter worka or does it have to be a specific kind?

Thanks again!

The pwm hub you showed me won't ship to my location.

I found this one, woukd this work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Thermaltake-Commander-Powered-4-Pin-AC-023-AN1NAN-A1/dp/B01G9BEC5W

Yeah, that hub is fine and you might get more use out of 10 fan hub than most people. You may change your mind of sequential effects. Most of the presets for the QL work in that fashion.

No, not just any RGB splitter will work and these are custom pieces of kit. This is the seller I've bought from for a couple of years. There may be others, but I know this stuff works.

RGB Splitter (this is two fans sharing the same RGB port on the Core hub and are copies of each other).

RGB channel to fan adapter (This is for connecting directly to the RGB channel on the Commander -- no Core or RGB Hub. It has a second fan connector you won't need at the the moment.)

Yeah, that hub is fine and you might get more use out of 10 fan hub than most people. You may change your mind of sequential effects. Most of the presets for the QL work in that fashion.

No, not just any RGB splitter will work and these are custom pieces of kit. This is the seller I've bought from for a couple of years. There may be others, but I know this stuff works.

RGB Splitter (this is two fans sharing the same RGB port on the Core hub and are copies of each other).

RGB channel to fan adapter (This is for connecting directly to the RGB channel on the Commander -- no Core or RGB Hub. It has a second fan connector you won't need at the the moment.)

So do I need both of those or just one? I didn't understand what the second one was for sorry I'm a noob. Lol

No, it's one or the other.

The RGB splitter was option 2 from above. Two fans share the same signal from a Core controller.

The RGB Channel to Fan Adapter (Option 1) uses the extra RGB channel on the Commander to power 1-2 fans. This would act like an independent group, not a duplicate like above.