Corsair Community

3200/3600 speed options and timings - Ryzen

78Staff

Currently running 2x16 Trident Neo Z 3600 C16's, Asus Crosshair VIII Hero 3900X. I picked this ram due to being 3600 with c16 timings and B-Die, running IF at 1800 - but since adding a Capellix AIO and ML140's I got to thinking it might nice to switch over to Vengeance or Dominator's and have all in iCue.

So looking at Corsair's site it's confusing... All the 3600 kits are C18. I don't see any 16GB sticks at less than C18. Does Corsair just not produce any 3600 C16? Dropping to 3200 I do see some C16 kits, but the timings are different - ie my 3600's are 16 16 16 36 while Corsair's 3200 are 16-18-18-36 and 3600's are 18-19-19-39 (or 18-22-22-42?). I don't know how much difference that actually makes tbh. Also not sure what is b-die and what is not - are all Dominator sticks B-die?

Shorter version, if I want to run my memory at 3600 DCOP/XMP, 1.35v - preferably 16gb sticks and b-die - which do I choose? I see lots of posts in the Ryzen thread about not able to run corsair memory at XMP/DCOP timings, much less OC'ing them, although most are older posts.

Honestly I think I prefer the RGB of the Vengeance line (and the avail of the enhancement kit for empty slots) over the squares of the Dominator, but could adjust to the squares if the Dom is what i need. :).

Edited by 78Staff

Currently running 2x16 Trident Neo Z 3600 C16's, Asus Crosshair VIII Hero 3900X. I picked this ram due to being 3600 with c16 timings and B-Die, running IF at 1800 - but since adding a Capellix AIO and ML140's I got to thinking it might nice to switch over to Vengeance or Dominator's and have all in iCue.

So looking at Corsair's site it's confusing... All the 3600 kits are C18. I don't see any 16GB sticks at less than C18. Does Corsair just not produce any 3600 C16? Dropping to 3200 I do see some C16 kits, but the timings are different - ie my 3600's are 16 16 16 36 while Corsair's 3200 are 16-18-18-36 and 3600's are 18-19-19-39 (or 18-22-22-42?). I don't know how much difference that actually makes tbh. Also not sure what is b-die and what is not - are all Dominator sticks B-die?

Shorter version, if I want to run my memory at 3600 DCOP/XMP, 1.35v - preferably 16gb sticks and b-die - which do I choose? I see lots of posts in the Ryzen thread about not able to run corsair memory at XMP/DCOP timings, much less OC'ing them, although most are older posts.

Honestly I think I prefer the RGB of the Vengeance line (and the avail of the enhancement kit for empty slots) over the squares of the Dominator, but could adjust to the squares if the Dom is what i need. :).

Corsair uses version numbers to identify the IC. see https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188134

Version 4.32 kits seem to have had some issues requiring some timing adjustments as you can find on the forums.

I think the problem with RAM on AM4 is more general compatibility issues (not being as refined as Intel memory controllers and BIOS/UEFI) not necessary something specific with Corsair. Although I've read a lot of disparaging comments regarding OC'ing Corsair RAM too. Improvements have been made since the original launch of Ryzen but is seems getting XMP to work consistently across the platform can be hit or miss in which case just set your options manually, which is ok for someone who knows what their doing, but otherwise a problem and terrible experience for those who don't.

From and end-user perspective I've never noticed a perceivable difference between 16-18-18-36 vs 20-20-20-44 or even between DDR4-3200 vs DDR4-3600 and for most people it probably won't matter. If your running at least DDR4-3200 with a Zen2 CPU that's good enough for anything with a good price to performance ratio. Personally I really like the aesthetics of the Vengeance RGB Pro and the hardware control for the RGB.

I'd probably keep the B-die kit for both performance and compatibility (it's perhaps more rare to buy now too) but if you want to go for aesthetics looks like on newegg you can get Corsair RGB Pro for about $150 DDR4-3600.

Didn't have a chance to use the light enhancement kit so not sure if it might make OC a bit more difficult.

I found this website to find b-die...(I remember reading somewhere b-die is no longer in production)

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Edited by A Computer Guy

Interesting, I had forgotten about that site - thanks. I actually checked any my Neo is not listed as B-die - although newegg comments say that it is. So now I am not 100% sure anymore. Anyway it performs well and has great timings, so I likely will just stick with it, not sure I need to change just for icue/rgb use. If I get deeper into the Corsair ecosystem, I may reconsider I suppose.

Edit - I did confirm my Neo is b-die with Thiaphoon - think I will just stick with what I have for now. Might add 32GB more since I have started working with multiple VM's lately...

Edited by 78Staff