Corsair Community

Request: iCUE ELITE CAPELLIX - Lower RPM (< 2000 RPM) for Quiet Profile via Firmware

Just installed a h115i Capellix this weekend.

I can hear my pump with the case closed and its so annoying. When I set to "quiet" its a whine, then balanced it goes and octave higher, then Extreme is an octave higher and very loud.

We need the option to set the pump lower than 2300rpm. I came from a H80i v2 and i could set that at 1200 rpm and it was silent.

I cant cope with the noise of this. its louder than my 5 bequiet fans and my 3080 MSI Suprim X combined!! Think i will have to RMA.

What do people recommend to go with for silent pump?

Any news on a firmware upgrade for this?

Have to completely second this. My h150i Elite Capellix is extremely loud and it's horrendous. This is my first AIO and it's not what I switched to water cooling for.

It's horizontally mounted at the top and there is no reason for this noise. Please add another profile that lowers the RPM for idle workloads.

I've RMA's my cooler and its going back. Its too loud even on "quiet" mode, there is nothing quiet about a pump that gives you a migraine due to the hum it makes.

Looking at the post from the Platinum version, anything below <2000 is silent, that option would be appreciated but with no news from corsair, i cant take the risk outside the return period.

The coolers looks awesome, the cooler performs awesome, the sound is trash, id take a lower RPM and +5 degrees hit to keep but as it stands, not at this noise level.

hey,

I got iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX and

I have the same problem here, beautiful but noisy.

The sound is so powerful in frequency that I can hear it through the pick-ups of my electric guitar which is on an external setup (AiO tested not installed in the PC)

I Hope this doesn't affect my Ryzen 5900x. It's really disappointing on a new 2020 PC build, I don't have this problem on my old i7 with TT AiO.

I hope the problem could be fixed with a firmware update.

Edited by Funkyhz

Been in contact with a support employee with from Corsair. She has put out a request for a firmware update and will keep me posted periodically. Happy with that support :). No promised of course and no ETA. But it's something!

I will post here if I hear anything.

Been in contact with a support employee with from Corsair. She has put out a request for a firmware update and will keep me posted periodically. Happy with that support :). No promised of course and no ETA. But it's something!

I will post here if I hear anything.

I sent my Cappellix back and now have the 115 Pro, and its silent on 900rpm(quiet) and silent on 2000 rpm (balanced)

I do miss the looks of the 115i elite but not the noise, I just couldn't cope. The thing is also the temps are pretty much the same as the elite (2300 rpm) and pro running at lower RPM (900 or 2000). i have around 28-30 degrees idle and 50-65 while under full load. Go figure.

Edited by mikedoh

does anyone have a clip of what the sound is like?

i have 6 ll120's at 600-700, 3 120's at zero, the psu has zero rpm mode on and the pump. all the noise you hear is the pump. if this cant get fixed it is going back. using a sound meter it is 40db. trash.

[ame]

[/ame]

LOW-NOISE CENTRIFUGAL PUMP

Delivers a flow rate of up to 0.82L/min while generating less than 20 dBA, for extreme cooling with low noise.

Edited by Trick0502

i have 6 ll120's at 600-700, 3 120's at zero, the psu has zero rpm mode on and the pump. all the noise you hear is the pump. if this cant get fixed it is going back. using a sound meter it is 40db. trash.

LOW-NOISE CENTRIFUGAL PUMP

Delivers a flow rate of up to 0.82L/min while generating less than 20 dBA, for extreme cooling with low noise.

You can't compare a phone app sound meter in your room to the specifications listed on most industry products. All of those measurements are taken in anechoic chamber with a zero db sound floor. You can't replicate that in your room and live measurements will always be higher. The decibels are not really the issue here anyway.

The tone/frequency is what most people are noticing. It's a small high speed electro-mechanical device. It has to make some noise and cannot be 100% energy efficient. If you are going to turn off all your fans, then don't be surprised that you can hear this or any other pump. It's the only thing running. This is a mistake people trying to make very quiet setups will encounter. If you remove all the broad spectrum noise elements like fans, you are then left with more specific tones underneath, like pumps or mechanical drives, GPU coil whine, etc. It's better to try and cover over these with the fans than to keep reducing and reducing. There will always be something that is the loudest thing in the case and that becomes the identifiable tone.

I’ve owned h50, h55, h100, h100i and a h100i v2. The only one that was close to this loud was the h100.

The h100i v2 was just taken out of the system for this cooler. I can tell you that you couldn’t hear the pc at all over room noise. I can hear this h150i as soon as I walk in the room.

I would love to see their testing where the pump is 20db. Corsair do you have a video of this?

You can't compare a phone app sound meter in your room to the specifications listed on most industry products. All of those measurements are taken in anechoic chamber with a zero db sound floor. You can't replicate that in your room and live measurements will always be higher. The decibels are not really the issue here anyway.

The tone/frequency is what most people are noticing. It's a small high speed electro-mechanical device. It has to make some noise and cannot be 100% energy efficient. If you are going to turn off all your fans, then don't be surprised that you can hear this or any other pump. It's the only thing running. This is a mistake people trying to make very quiet setups will encounter. If you remove all the broad spectrum noise elements like fans, you are then left with more specific tones underneath, like pumps or mechanical drives, GPU coil whine, etc. It's better to try and cover over these with the fans than to keep reducing and reducing. There will always be something that is the loudest thing in the case and that becomes the identifiable tone.

we turn off the fans to see where the sound is coming from. This is how people test to see where this abnormal sound comes from. and it is also perfectly normal for some of our fans not to spin because we use 0 rpm feature. when certain temp conditions are met, our fans don't spin.

The problem is the noise coming from this pump(coolit) is noticeably loud because it spins at such high speeds at lowest settings. And there is no way, this pump is 20 dba in a zero db sound floor when the pump spins at 2300 RPM. It makes meaningless difference in CPU temp with the speeds provided for each profile.

There are a lot of complaints regarding Coolit pumps being loud because it spins too fast. This is where Asetek made improvements because earlier pump generation had noise issues as well.

H150i Pro (Asetek Pump) 1100 RPM(quiet profile) - Silent from normal sitting distance of 2-3 feet.

Capellix (Coolit) 2300 RPM (quiet profile) - Annoying and uncomfortable Noise. Not necessarily loud.

I think the problem here is the design of the pump where the lowest speed it can go is 2300 RPM.

2300, 2600, 2800 RPM for each profile is stupid and makes no sense. we need wider range between each profile.

this thread should for people who owns Capellix AIO and as seen there are people with the noise prolems with this pump. We need our opinions heard, so that Corsair can release a new firmware or improve their products in the future.

I still have faith in Corsair, this is the reason why I did not return the Capellix which is sitting in the closet. I am using my old H150i Pro which is so quiet at both quiet and balanced profile.

Edited by cavemankr

My Asetek pump on the 115i Pro is running at 2000rpm on balanced mode and you cannot hear it. That's with all other fans on ZeroRPM and my PC is silent.

The h115i elite CoolIT pump ran at 2300rpm on quiet and it gave me migraines due to the high pitch.

There is just something inherently wrong with the coolIT pumps in my opinion to make that noise at 300rpm difference. I agree with a phone video cannot be a great comparison, but there is no chance at all that corsair have tests done on this pump on quiet running at 20db, not any. Either that or they have a very large batch of faulty pumps. Either way it doesn't look good for quality control. The elite is supposed to be their flagship product, yet is worse than a 2/3 year old model due to the pump.

I just wish the elite didn't look so damn good!

Edited by mikedoh

My Asetek pump on the 115i Pro is running at 2000rpm on balanced mode and you cannot hear it. That's with all other fans on ZeroRPM and my PC is silent.

The h115i elite CoolIT pump ran at 2300rpm on quiet and it gave me migraines due to the high pitch.

There is just something inherently wrong with the coolIT pumps in my opinion to make that noise at 300rpm difference. I agree with a phone video cannot be a great comparison, but there is no chance at all that corsair have tests done on this pump on quiet running at 20db, not any. Either that or they have a very large batch of faulty pumps. Either way it doesn't look good for quality control. The elite is supposed to be their flagship product, yet is worse than a 2/3 year old model due to the pump.

I just wish the elite didn't look so damn good!

I can't agree more.

The fact i have had to go out of my way to buy a 3 year old £130 H115i Pro, plus invest in the RGB fans (£60 on offer) but £89.99 normal, just to get a worse look than the H115i elite but with similar RGB says it all. All due to pump noise.

Likely all stemming from Asetek sueing Corsair and Corsair changing brand for vastly inferior pumps. And probably not fully QC(or just technical limitations).

Again, a flagship model should never be inferior to previous models at more price, its insane.

Edited by mikedoh

I am not even sure if Corsair customizes the pump besides aesthetics.

Often, the base of the block (cooling plate, pump and pump motor PCB) is supplied readymade by the OEM, and corsair (or other brands) only start working on top of that.

If that's the case, chages would have to be made by coolit.

If not, they may still have a say about reducing the pump speed because Corsair would alter the design specs..

So yea.. it's easy as a small tweak in a firmware, but there may be a ton of discussion, negotiation and lab testing to be done JUST to validate lower speeds..

I have the same problem with a new H100i RGB XT. I think I will return it.

I'm now looking for a H100i RGB without XT. I've read they are quieter?

Yes they are for me. I went from h80i v2 to h115i Elite and the noise was too loud.

I bought the H115i Pro and its silent on quiet and balanced. Just make sure you buy the Pro and not the Pro XT . The pro use Asetek pumps and the XT, Plat, and Elite use CoolIT pumps as far as I'm aware.

The naming convention of these coolers is stupid by the way.

Just finished to replace the H150i Pro with a H150 Capellix... don't know if the loudness problem is something that pops up after a certain time, but I can barely hear the difference among the noise of 10 QL fans spinning @300RPM.

The sad news for me is that the 3 QL connected to the CoCo can't stop in ZeroRPM mode (they do stop if connected to the CoPro).

Baio

Hey,

after starting my computer today, I noticed the pump got significantly quieter in "quiet" mode - Definitely no placebo, as I'm very sensitive in that regard.

You can still hear it but I'd say it's about half as loud.

Maybe it just needs some time? Because of this I will give it another 2-3 days until I replace the unit with the H100i Pro.

I have mounted the unit on the top of the case btw, so there shouldn't be any problems with trapped air and/or increased pump strain.

EDIT: Nevermind, after restarting the PC the pump is noisy again. Can't really explain it.

Edited by Geicher

Been having the same issue with my H150i Elite Capellix. This is actually the second one I've gone through; returned the first one because I thought the pump was defective.

After initially installing them, the pumps seem to operate nearly silently despite the high RPM. However, after a few days of use, the pump gets significantly louder, to the point where I can hear it humming through the case with 9 fans despite it sitting on the floor. I know it's not my imagination either because I have actually taken before and after videos showcasing my build from identical camera angles; when the pump is brand new, you can barely hear it, whereas in the videos taken days later, the pump is noticeably more audible.

I have a feeling that the noise is actually caused by the pump's internal vibrations being amplified when in contact with other surfaces. If you run the pump while it is not attached to anything, it is nearly silent. Using my own rubber washers on the mounting mechanism helped dampen the noise a bit, but it's still very grating to listen to. The fact that the noise didn't surface initially on two units suggests that this noise is not by design and that both units are somehow defective. Somehow a large batch of these pumps made it past QC considering how widespread these complaints are.

FWIW, even if they are defective, I tested what a 2300 RPM pump sounds like with my NZXT Z63 and it also produced an audible whine, so I'm really hoping that this can be remedied via a firmware update. Otherwise, I'm going to have to return this and perhaps get a Galahad. I really don't want to have to move outside the Corsair ecosystem, but they're kind of forcing my hand here. Please release that firmware update; I'm very disappointed considering I spent $200 on this AIO.

On another note, is anyone noticing high coolant temps with Zen 3 CPUs? I'm also hearing a very irritating rattling noise coming from the ML fans which gets amplified through the radiator. Sounds like bad bearings even though these fans are brand new.

Edited by omgitsrichie
  • Like 1

Same problems here...

Built a new PC with the fairly expensive H100i Elite Capellix. Looks are amazing, but I know the pump noise will drive me crazy overtime.

Does anyone know if I can just return the product to my local retailer? Since obviously the paste will be messed up when I dismount it from my CPU.

Looking to go for the H100i Pro, which is gonna be a big downgrade in aesthetics but I don't think I have a choice..

Same problems here...

Built a new PC with the fairly expensive H100i Elite Capellix. Looks are amazing, but I know the pump noise will drive me crazy overtime.

Does anyone know if I can just return the product to my local retailer? Since obviously the paste will be messed up when I dismount it from my CPU.

Looking to go for the H100i Pro, which is gonna be a big downgrade in aesthetics but I don't think I have a choice..

I'm not sure where you are from but in the UK (or maybe all EU) you have a 14 day "cooldown" period where you can return purchases. That's what I did with my h115i Elite.

And to @omgitsrichie Yes you are right, I didn't notice the noise at first when I installed mine, but only after a day or so, I noticed the humming, and once you notice you cant unnotice that noise.

And to @omgitsrichie Yes you are right, I didn't notice the noise at first when I installed mine, but only after a day or so, I noticed the humming, and once you notice you cant unnotice that noise.

yeah I am positive it's not even a subjective perception thing--these things definitely get noisier after a few days of use. I have video proof of it.