Corsair Community

Crystal 680x - replace glass with mesh?

Dryzzt23

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah that's awesome, thanks for the comparison. Can't say I'm a big fan of the hex cutouts, and it's intereting that it didn't make much thermal difference. Perhaps it would be more beneficial if you didn't already have bottom case fans. I'm definitely planning on getting some extra fans before the summer hits.

How does it look without any front panel at all?

Personally I found it to look pretty bad without any front panel. I did go for the case due to its use of glass and aesthetics, and if you don't mind I'm sure it will improve thermals.

I found that removing the top panel helped my temperatures a couple of degrees, although I haven't checked temps without both the front and top panel.

I have now installed an ASUS TUF Gaming 3090 OC and am getting temps of 60-65 degrees c while playing Cyberpunk 2077 on high/ultra settings on a 3840x1600 144hz screen. The CPU seems to be suffering somewhat from the rear intake and somewhat poor exhaust, reaching temps of about 65-70. With the top panel removed the CPU stays at around 63-64 degrees.

A quick look at the PC with the new 3090 here:

[ame]

[/ame]

ah you wrote rear exhaust ^^'

my bad, if it's exhaust already, discard what i posted :) and the video shows it too.. tsss.

And yea that top glass is pretty restrictive. What i usually do with it is to move it atop the USB ports, and screw it there with just two screws, leaving the radiator completely uncovered.

But that requires you having a start button on the motherboard to turn on the bloody thing, or remove the glass each time.

Smart. I did keep the top panel off this weekend while testing and on some longer gaming sessions. The temperatures with it on aren't too concerning in my eyes. However, I do live in a country with a cool climate and have the possibility of opening a window next to my PC. When summer hits and temperatures rise, who is to tell how the temps might look like.

This certainly isn't the case if you want higher end components and live somewhere with high temperatures without having decent air condition.

With that said, I still absolutely love the looks of this case and with the 3090 the performance is top notch.

I was debating vertical GPU mounting and whether that might help with temps too, especially with bottom intake and top exhaust fans. The case vertical mounts are stupidly close to the side glass so I would consider those unusable, especially for a chonky 3000 series card, but maybe a custom bracket using the rear slots could work. Slightly expensive experiment to perform though. :)

60-70C is absolutely in order with a 10850k and the mess of a game that CP2077 is. That said, back + top exhaust and bottom + front intake will most likely yield best results. Vertical mounting will do nothing but making your GPU temps worse if you intend to use the bracket in the case. Edited by Infin1tum

• 1 month later...
Smart. I did keep the top panel off this weekend while testing and on some longer gaming sessions. The temperatures with it on aren't too concerning in my eyes. However, I do live in a country with a cool climate and have the possibility of opening a window next to my PC. When summer hits and temperatures rise, who is to tell how the temps might look like.

This certainly isn't the case if you want higher end components and live somewhere with high temperatures without having decent air condition.

With that said, I still absolutely love the looks of this case and with the 3090 the performance is top notch.

What fan configuration do you have?

Pull, push, etc ...

• 1 year later...

This is awesome!  Thanks for providing the coldzero link; it's a life saver.  I'm running a custom CPU/GPU loop with top/rear/bottom rads as exhaust with only 3 120mm fans in front as intake.  The front glass was choking my airflow.  When I removed the glass during stress testing, my component temps immediately dropped by 5c within less than a minute, and even more after that.  I'm surprised it didn't help temps for Angryshrimp.

I bought an acrylic panel and tried making my own replacement front panel with cutouts.  If you've ever worked with thin acrylic, you know how easy it is to chip, so I just ordered hex front and top panels.