Corsair Community

H100i Capellix disconnect from icue/fans 100%

ApexAiry

I figured I would share my issue on here to see if anyone has an idea or are experiencing the same problem.

I just purchased a h100i Capellix cooler and got it all installed. It worked fine up until I updated icue and the firmware on the cooler. When updating firmware it would go to 0% and the cooler would no longer show on icue. Occasionally it would show the commander core for a second and then disappear. After this happens the 2 fans on the radiator start running at 100%. The only way to get it back to normal is a full shutdown. A restart won't work.

If I don't update firmware it works perfect for about 15min and then the fans go up to 100% and I don't see it in icue. I have the 570x case so my setup includes an RBG fan hub connected to a button controller with 4 SP 120 fans. Those work fine. The H100i is hooked up with the 2 ML120 fans separately. I wasn't sure if that could cause issues.

One more thing, I let the cooler run without icue being installed and the fans still go to 100% after about 15min.

Any ideas? I've tried reinstalling icue/older version, different sata connection, different USB ports on the mobo

It's normal for the cooler to drop out of CUE during the firmware update as the new software is loaded onto the device. That should last just a few seconds. The fans will max out during that time. However, I am getting the impression the firmware didn't take and you are now caught in limbo. Does CUE show the AIO pump picture at the top? Or a picture of the Commander Core? Can you see the pump in the Commander Core panel?

When the fans start to ramp to maximum, look at your CPU temperature. Even without CUE, it will regulate fan speed based on coolant temperature. If it's doing this at idle, it could signify a flow issue. With a low flow rate you will be able to watch your CPU temp tick upwards +1C every few seconds.

The SP-RGB fans from your 570x are 3 pin DC and the Com Core only can do PWM fan control. Those will run at maximum all the time if connected to the 12v PWM controller.

I would start a support ticket now.

Yea i have a ticket started! Was just checking here to see if anyone has an idea of wha might be happening. Unfortunately support hasn't been too helpful yet.

And yea i can see the pump in icue when I first turn on the pc but either I try to update firmware (which makes it disappear and fans go to full speed) or I wait and it disappears in 15min and fans go to full speed.

The firmware update will always fail and I'm guessing it has to do with the cooler not showing anymore.

As for flow rate my Temps are pretty decent at idle (30-35°. But I haven't paid much attention after the fans go to full speed. I'll check later tonight.

Thank you for the quick response though!

It should be readily apparent if the coolant temp spikes from some kind of low flow issue. The entire baseline CPU temp would start ticking upwards and you would likely hit shutdown. I am hopeful that is not occurring.

Can you differentiate which fans are going into 100% mode? Is it the rest of the case fans and not the radiator fans? It's start to seem like the device is dropping out of CUE and thus going into hardware mode. The two radiator fans should continue to run on coolant temp without the software, keeping things steady. However, the other fans might go 100% is their curve is set to something the software can no long read/apply. So if the they were set to respond to GPU temp, the controller doesn't know what to do with out the software feeding it the data. Frankly, we don't know a lot about what happens to the Commander Core when it goes offline and this is the first issue like this I have seen.

I would not continue to try and force update the firmware. If you do this enough times, sooner or later it the result may be more damaging.

Thanks for the info, I won't attempt the firmware update anymore. The only fans that are going to 100% are the 2 fans on the cooler. My 4 SP fans seem to be steady at their usual speed. I've never messed with them before.

I bought from Best Buy. You think it would be worth swapping with another one in store? Or just wait for Corsair support?

It's my first AIO and it has been really frustrating. Almost considering just going back to air cooling haha.

I think exchanging it as defective is a legitimate course of action. If you are comfortable removing it and packing it up, this is probably resolved by lunch time tomorrow. The other would be if Corsair has a way to force the AIO to take a firmware update outside of the normal software interface. The second sounds easier, but a couple of days of this might drive me up the wall. It does seem more likely this is the heart of the issue if only the radiator fans are maxing out.