Corsair Community

H150i RGB Pro XT - 1 fan is always at 1600rpm

MostBlunted

Hi,

I´ve got a new PC with a H150i RGB Pro XT and I´m not able to control one of the fans. No matter what setting I choose in iCue it´s always at about 1600rpm.

I´ve already reinstalled the software and updated the firmware.

How can I resolve this issue?

Any help is much appreciated.

My hardware:

CASE - iCue 465X RGB schwarz

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT | 8x 3,9GHz, 32MB L3

Mainboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi | AMD B550

GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB | ASUS TUF Gaming

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | 2x 16GB

SSD (M.2 / PCIe) 1TB Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0

2. SSD (M.2 / PCIe) 1TB Corsair MP600 PCIe Gen. 4

Power Supply 850W - Corsair RMx Series 2018

Corsair iCUE H150i RGB Pro XT + 3x Corsair LL120 | 360mm

Unbenannt.thumb.PNG.236d424dc91fbce25c4f65fada02df32.PNG

Disconnect fan #1 from the XT's splitter and then reconnect. Sometimes this enough to get better contact on the pins and the cooler can regain control.

If that does not work, swap fans 1 and 2 on the splitter (or 1 and 3 - doesn't matter). The purpose is to establish if there is a problem with the fan or the controller/software. If the fan is the problem, fan #2/3 will now be stuck at 1600 rpm. If there is a controller or splitter wire issue, the new fan on #1 is now stuck at maximum.

Disconnect fan #1 from the XT's splitter and then reconnect. Sometimes this enough to get better contact on the pins and the cooler can regain control.

If that does not work, swap fans 1 and 2 on the splitter (or 1 and 3 - doesn't matter). The purpose is to establish if there is a problem with the fan or the controller/software. If the fan is the problem, fan #2/3 will now be stuck at 1600 rpm. If there is a controller or splitter wire issue, the new fan on #1 is now stuck at maximum.

Thanks for your reply.

I´ve switched 1 and 2, now 1 is at 600 RPM and 2 is at 1600 RPM.

Is there anything I can do about it?

And is the stuff shown in my picture the splitter you mean? There are 3 seperate cables that connects to the 3 fans labeled with 1/2/3.

I´ve disconnected (the RGB lightning still works though) the fan that is always at 1600 rpm right now and the PC is now so quiet :( .

Sorry but I´m kind of new to this stuff. I´ve bought a custom pc but didn´t build it myself.

EDIT:

I´ve 3 spare Corsair fans(non RGB) which come with the the case I guess, i´ve connected one of them with the cable which is always 1600 RPM but it doens´t spin at all. Is this normal?

I´ve got 6 RGB fans, 3 for the cooler (1 is always at 1600 RPM, same cable) 3 in the case (working as excpected I guess, spinning and quiet, 2 top 1 on the back). 3 non RGB fans and not installed, I only tested one of them if it does something connected to the cable which spins at 1600 RPM and it didn´t do anything (0 RPM), not recognized by Icue as it seems to me).

I´ve played a little bit with different settings with the Icue software, the 2 connected fans do what I expect them to do.

Unbenannt2.thumb.PNG.fc445839c221f1505c24c0a26fcee527.PNG

Unbenannt3.thumb.PNG.d9ea009f79a47afe4d8736a035c76a31.PNG

Edited by MostBlunted

The misbehaving fan likely has a defect along the wire or at the pin. It is likely to be out of control no matter where you plug it in. It will need to be replaced. Contact Corsair Support to start that.

However, in the meantime there may be a workaround. The three-way cable for fan control off the XT isn't really a splitter. The XT has three independent fan control channels and that means you can use a traditional PWM splitter (4+3) off one of the connections. Make sure you put the bad fan on the 3 pin end of the connector. This will only work if the tachometer wire is the bad one. If the PWM wire is the defective one, it may still be stuck at max or zero.

The lighting power and control is completely separate from the fan motor control. You can leave that enabled.

"Spare case fan not spinning" - This depends on the fan. The XT fan controller is PWM, so if you plug a DC 3 pin fan in, it should run at maximum. If the fan doesn't spin at all, that might again suggest there is another issue with the 3 way control wire, but I would not make any decisions based on that alone.

What kind of fan is not spinning? I assumed it was one of the XT's included fans (non-RGB), but I now realize the builder likely swapped them around. They took the LL fans that come with the 465X and mounted them to the radiator. Then took the ML120 non-RGB fans from the radiator and threw them in the box. You probably have 3 more LL fans top/rear. All of those fans are PWM and all of them should work on the 3 way fan wire from the cooler. If the builder is local and friendly, that might be the place to start rather than with Corsair support.

What kind of fan is not spinning? I assumed it was one of the XT's included fans (non-RGB), but I now realize the builder likely swapped them around. They took the LL fans that come with the 465X and mounted them to the radiator. Then took the ML120 non-RGB fans from the radiator and threw them in the box. You probably have 3 more LL fans top/rear. All of those fans are PWM and all of them should work on the 3 way fan wire from the cooler. If the builder is local and friendly, that might be the place to start rather than with Corsair support.

Thanks again, this was very helpful.

I have 2 LL fans on the top of my case and 1 LL fan on the backside.

I got 3 more non RGB Corsair fans with the computer which were not installed . I tried two of them to replace the 1600 RPM fan but they didn´t spin.

I´ll also switched all water cooler fans, it´s always the same fan which spins at 1600rpm no matter which of the 3 cables I use. The other 2 fans behave normal also no matter which cable I use. From my noob logic it must be the fan itself?

I´ll contact my seller.

BTW, should it be possible that the 3 water coolings fans run at 0 RPM if I set them so (or use the zero RPM profile) while the temp is low (like idle)? Because the lowest I can achieve is about 600 RPM and the highest 1600 RPM. Shouldn´t the max speed be 2400 RPM?

I mean the system is running fine (even with only 2 water cooling fans) and even Prime95 isn´t an issue, but it seems wrong to me.

Thanks!

Unbenannt.thumb.PNG.6be48e05e1c4f485a0b37fef9d3c6129.PNG

Edited by MostBlunted

The one LL fan appears to have a problem.

I didn’t notice you had the graph zeroed out at that coolant temperature. That would explain the non-RGB ML fans 0 rpm reading when connected. I don’t have a Platinum/XT cooler to verify, but if I recall only the ML series is capable of doing zero mode on the cooler’s controller. LL fans have a minimum speed of around 600 and 1600 is about max on a radiator.

If they are the actual stock fans from an XT, those should run 400-2400 rpm. However, there is a near identical version from the H150i Pro referred to as the “ML-Quiet” that run only up to 1600 rpm. When testing control, switch to the fixed RPM or PWM % mode and drag the line up or down to make sure you are prompting the fan to change.

I didn’t notice you had the graph zeroed out at that coolant temperature. That would explain the non-RGB ML fans 0 rpm reading when connected.

I tested all stock profiles with the two non RGB fans, they never spin at all.

When testing control, switch to the fixed RPM or PWM % mode and drag the line up or down to make sure you are prompting the fan to change.

I´ll try it.

Thanks again!

EDIT

Tested a non RGB cooler, it spins up to 2500 RPM with fixed speed 100%. Lowest is 0 RPM. (Custom fixed settings)

Now it even works with the stock settings like zero RPM mode is really 0 RPM, silent is 300 RPM and intesive is 836 RPM (temp 23,5)

What the hell is going on :D

PIC1:

Fan 1: Non RGB

Fan 2/3: Pre installed RGB

Your help is very much appreciated!

Do my bios settings influence them? I have them on PWM right now (all fans in BIOS) but also tried auto and DC.

If I have the quiet version you mentioned, should I be worried that my 2 "working" fans "only" achieve 600 RPM with the lowest setting? I mean it doesn´t really matter much because I can´t hear the fans when they´re at 600 RPM but just to be sure. I guess that´s why I noticed the issue, the 1600 fan was driving me crazy.

PIC2:

Fan 1: Non RGB

Fan 2/3: Pre installed RGB

EDIT:

For me it really seems like that the 1600 RGB RPM fan is broken, so my seller just need to replace the fan so I don´t have to send in the whole rig?! And it seems like that I´ve had the quiet version?

Unbenannt.thumb.PNG.185e7a8c42797ba729f380063ad2c305.PNG

Unbenannt3.thumb.PNG.1a7be4ea33112a74b072817ce0e9ce9c.PNG

Edited by MostBlunted
u

So for the LL series fans, the listed specification is 600-1500. Mine usually go slightly higher than 1500, even on a radiator. However, the 600 has always been a strong minimum. Fortunately, they should be very quiet at that speed and I always thing some airflow and minimal noise is better than no airflow and letting other noise show itself.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/ml-config/p/CO-9050072-WW#tab-tech-specs

The "ML120" on the XT series will do 400-2400 officially. The motors on the ML have always had a large range and are often capable of dipping below their minimum slightly. All of your speeds match expectations and other user data. The one thing I am looking for confirmation on is that only the ML will do the null/zero mode on the cooler. That is something about the controller on the AIO coolers. Other controllers like the Commander Pro can do zero mode with most PWM fans.

So at this point, I think the only issue is that one LL fan that is stuck at maximum.