Corsair Community

Fully Functional RGB FAN setup without internal USB connection

VideoHackMac

So, I got a Corsair Obsidian 500D case for my new intel 10th gen build. At the moment for controlling the fan speed by motherboard and RGB, I need to connect the Commander Pro USB connector to the internal USB header on the motherboard. But I want a system where I don't need to connect to internal USB header; I need to avoid to connect to internal USB header for my operating system issue. I am ok with not using iCUE software if I can sync & change limited RGB color preset & the fan speeds are being controlled by motherboard. I want to use Corsair RGB fans; but I am ok if I need to change Commander pro or some other way that I can avoid to connect to the internal USB header on the motherboard. Thank you!!

• Corsair Employees

may I ask why you do not wish to connect the internal USB header?

A workaround you could do is to connect the commander PRO, and set up your settings in iCUE, and then disconnect it. It should remember the settings (remember to set up hardware lighting). But you will not be able to control the RGB when it is not connected via USB.

Basically I have multiple operating system running and MacOS creates issues and warnings when an internal header is connected. So I am trying to find a best system and workaround to use QL120 fans without the commander pro and will be delighted if I can use the SP RGB Fan controller instead of connecting to internal USB header. It will be more better if I can connect the Commander Pro to SP RGB fan controller or any other controller that I don't have to control the RGB via operating system. Given I am a Corsair lover and prefer case and fans and ecosystem and that is why I want to use beautiful QL120 RGB fans but want to have option to be change color via a hardware controller instead of software even if I have limited color profile option.

• Corsair Employees

Will MacOS have the same issue if an the commander Pro is just connected to a regular USB port (on the outside of the case)? If not, you might be able to use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/CRJ-9-Pin-Dupont-Header-Cable/dp/B07Q8TC2ZM

We have had to do that on some extreme builds where there was not enough internal USB headers.

The QL fans will unfortunately not work with the SP RGB fan controller (far to many LED's)