Corsair Community

Wiring power for 10 fans on iCue Commander

Skippman

I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire up 10 fans to my iCue Commander Pro. I will be using 6 ML120 PRO fans, 3 ML120 PWM fans, and one LL120 fan. I'm planning on installing the

3 ML120 PWM fans on the bottom of a 360mm radiator with 3 ML120 PRO fans on the top in a push-pull configuration at the bottom of the case.

3 ML120 PRO fans on the bottom of a second 360mm radiator in a push configuration at the top of the case

1 LL120 Fan at the rear of the case as an exhaust.

If I've understood what I've read here correctly I can wire each group of three fans to a three way splitter and connect them to a single fan header on the Commander Pro. Since they're all connected to the same radiator I want them all to spin at the same rate anyway.

3 ML120 Pros on one splitter connected to Fan Port 1 on the Commander

3 ML120 PWMs on a second splitter connected to Fan Port 2 on the Commander

3 ML120 Pros on a third splitter connected to Fan Port 3 on the Commander

1 LL120 connected to port 4 on the Commander.

For lighting each group of 3 would be connected to its own lighting hub, which would be connected to a Lighting Node Pro, which would be connected to LED Port 1 on the Commander leaving LED Port 2 left for LED strips.

Is this accurate?

If I've understood what I've read here correctly I can wire each group of three fans to a three way splitter and connect them to a single fan header on the Commander Pro.

More often than not this is a no. The Commander gets funny about 3 way splitters and either doesn't respond to controls or does so inconsistently. At 10 fans you are pushing the upper edge of the current limit and I suggest you not invade the last 20% of it.

However, there is probably a better solution anyway. A lot of people have moved to using a small, inexpensive PWM hub/repeaters to take one control signal and expand it a series of fans. Since most of these get their power from SATA directly, that removes a large chunk of the current from the device. The obvious application here is for the push pull set on the one 360mm. That's six fans that don't need independent fan control. If for some reason you wanted control over each side independently, you can still offload 3 to PWM hub, then make the remaining 7 pair up over the 5 remaining headers on the Commander.

I am not sure if all 9 of your fans are RGB, but you don't need to group them physically into 3s. The max on each RGB Lighting hub is 6 and you will have independent control over the lighting for each of the 4 LEDs on each fan. You can quite easily have the top 3 do one thing and the bottom 3 another, all within the same lighting profile.

If all 9 are RGB, then you will need two RGB Lighting Hubs and will need 2 RGB channels. The hubs don't daisy chain together like the low lighting current models. It would make sense to do the bottom 6 on 1 Hub and the top 3 on another. The 1 x LL is the problem since it technically would need it's own lighting hub separate from the ML-RGB. However, in this instance, I might be more inclined to put it with the top 3 ML and then set the top panel as "LL x 2" (32 LEDs). "ML x 6" will generate 24 LEDs, but leave you short of the 4+4+4 + 16 you need.

Edited by c-attack

More often than not this is a no. The Commander gets funny about 3 way splitters and either doesn't respond to controls or does so inconsistently. At 10 fans you are pushing the upper edge of the current limit and I suggest you not invade the last 20% of it.

However, there is probably a better solution anyway. A lot of people have moved to using a small, inexpensive PWM hub/repeaters to take one control signal and expand it a series of fans.

Ok, I think I've got this figured out. Thank you for the information! For clarification this is all going in a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL case.

Here's the plan:

Fan Connections

Fan Port 1 to a Silverstone SST-CPF04-USA 8 Port Fan Splitter

Fan Ports 2-5 to the top radiators ML120's.

Fan Port 6 to the rear mounted LL120.

SilverStone Fan Hub

Fan Ports 1-3 to the ML120 Pro's on the bottom of the lower radiator.

Fan Ports 4-6 to the ML120 LED's on the top of the lower radiator.

RGB LED Hub

LED Ports 1-3 to the ML120 LED's on the bottom of the upper radiator.

LED Ports 4-6 to the ML120 LED's on the top of the lower radiator.

The RGB LED Hub will be connected to the LED 1 header on the Commander Pro. This leaves one RGB fan (the LL120) connected directly to the LED 2 header on the Commander Pro.

I have a G1/4 temperature probe for my water cooling loop that I plan to plug into the Temp 1 input.

I think this will work and give me maximum control over everything without putting two great a load on the Commanders power rails. I like that the Silverstone hub has a cap to ensure even power to the fans. I'm considering adding a light strip kit which will likely connect via a Lighting Node Pro anyway.

Does this sound like a workable plan?

I think you've got it. The Silverstone model works well and is the same one I use for this task.

Everything looks correct. It sucks to have to use a RGB Hub + LNP/Commander channel to run 1 LL. It may be possible to put the 1 LL on a 3rd party adapter cable to run from the MB via Gigabyte Fusion or whatever GA uses for MB RGB control. That would not be the same as integrating it through iCUE and it effectively turns it into a 16 LED strip. However, it is an option.

Is this going to be an O11 XL with a distro-plate in the side?

Yeah, I'm planning on using the EK Classic DP Side PC-O11D G1 D-RGB + DDC 3.2 PWM distro plate. This will be plumbed with EK fittings, EK radiators, and Bitspower Acrylic hardline.

This is my first new case in over a decade and I'm a little sad to retire my trusty 700D. The 700D is a great case, built like tank, but lacks any real fan inlets.

That looks right. Just a couple of things I think you already know.

1) You will need another RGB hub for the LL for lighting power. Than then connects to the LNP or other controller. (I think there is another option through a 3rd party cable here, but it will only work for 1 fan direct to the port and it will make it act like a strip. I will check if needed).

2) You need a 3rd party adapter to connect the distro and front LED strip on the case to any Corsair RGB port. If you don't have one, I can point you in the right direction. The front strip is 30 LEDs and can be set as "Strip x 3" (Corsair strips are 10 LEDs). I don't know about the distro block LED count, but you can use different devices (fan, strip, or block) to make the number work. (ML=4, SP-Pro/Elite and ML-Elite=8, HD=12, LL=16, Hydro X XC7/9 block = 16, XD3=16, XD5=10, don't use the QL). The fans can be multiplied out, so if I had a 24 LED strip, I could do that as ML-Elite (8) x 3 or HD (12) x 2.

3) For your setup, it doesn't matter if the distro + front strip go on the Commander's 2 RGB port or the LNPs. You can flip flop if more convenient. There are no restrictions on ML fans on the Lighting Node Pro. This is not the case with some of the newer fans like the QL. Those would need to go on the Commander. The LNP turns off RGB channel 2 if #1 is full of QL. The only other way this possibly matters is for global lighting effects that move from one end to the other. The LNP goes in sequence before the Commander on the Visor and Color Wave Lighting Link effects. This is a very niche situation and one most people won't notice.

4) Temp probe for the liquid can be used on any of the temp sockets 1-4. You might get some message about needing to use Temp #1. This only applies if you want to run the Hydro X config tool for their pump and fan presets. Any of the T-sensor ports can control any of the fans. I use all of them and fans and temp monitoring is radiator specific.

I was planning on getting a couple of the Aorus adapters from the people you're referring to. I've confirmed that the Lian Li's LED strip and the EK's stip are both 5V D-RGB like you said and should work fine with the adapters.

I believe I have a spare LNP. I might use that to connect the distro block and the case LED strip and leave the other two ports free for potential LED strips in the future.