Corsair Community

Am I overloading my Commander Pro?

GoruchyBuilder

Hi all,

I have successfully tested my 12 QL120 fans by plugging the 12 RGB wires into two corsair RGB fan hubs (the hubs that are included with the three packs of QL120 fans) and by plugging PWM splitter/combiner cables (Noctua cables) into the six fan power plugs on the Commander Pro (2 fans per each of the six fan plugs).

I ran the RGB hubs and the commander pro straight from a power supply outside my case to test them before I go through all the installation and cable management.

I also added three corsair RGB strips on one RGB channel plug of the Commander Pro and plan to add a fourth strip to the remaining RGB channel plug.

Everything worked fine but the Commander Pro did get pretty warm and I didn't run everything for an extended period of time, maybe an hour tops.

Am I pushing the Commander Pro too hard with the extra RGB strips, I believe the fans were pushing it pretty hard using the PWM splitters already.

Advice from people more experienced is appreciated.

Thank you!

Make sure the Commander is set to Auto, or 4 pin (PWM), maybe force all the sockets to PWM just to be sure the fans don't run in DC mode (3 pin). DC mode will heat up pretty substantially and can smoke components in the CoPro at lower RPMs, more so if using splitters.

Oficially, using splitters directly off the CoPro is not recommended.. many do, i did it, but never with 12 fans ^^' At this stage using powered fan hubs connected to the CoPro is worth considering.

Apart from that, the CoPro is still a bit warm in normal use.

Edited by LeDoyen

With 12 (x 0.30A=3.6A) you are under the maximum 12v capability of the SATA connector to the Commander. However, it's unclear how that might work long term. I have done 10 long term, but some of the fans were lower current draw and I was never even close to maxed out drawing the full current. I do use 12 in my build now, but have offloaded the current of 6 of them on a PWM repeater. I don't need individual fan control over the 6 in push-pull on one of the radiators.

The one to be more mindful of is the lighting current on the 5v rail. This is a more common place to run into issues. Each Core with 6 QL is capable of pulling ~3.6A on the 5v rail. You may run into issues if you have both Core devices and the Commander on the same ribbon line coming from the PSU. The Commander will also draw a much smaller amount of 5v current for the strips. If you look in CUE and the Commander's 5v rail reads 4.5v or so when you go instant white, you might want to take a look at how the 5v load is being shared.

The Commander is definitely warm regardless of the whether it's 6 or 12 fans. The circuit board in the center gets quite warm and it's not unusual for mine to run in the 37-43C range while completely free and dangling outside the case. Properly mounted and sealed in the backside of a standard case could see more.

Edited by c-attack
usual typos

Thank you both for the info. I may have to get a second commander pro... or just run 6 fans from the motherboard to reduce the load if necessary. I might be OK since this build is an Antec Torque case which is open air, so the commander will get plenty of fresh air on the back of the motherboard plate.