Corsair Community

Bad memory module (CMX256A-3200LL)

mahi

I have been using Corsair memory for many years now and I'm very satisfied with it. But even excellent product can break and so did a Corsair memory module. I haven't used memtest, because even simple tests show the problem is with a specific module.

I have two identical CMX256A-3200LL memory modules working in dual channel on an Asus P4C800-E. Since about a week the system gives me blue screens like hell. After a few tests I began to suspect the meory and yes, when I use only one of the Corsair modules the system worked just fine. Using the other the system would crash within about 15 minutes. I tried the default timing settings of the mainboard, but that didn't fix the problem.

Brandless memory modules I had lying around here do work fine in dual channel setups (both brandless or one brandless and the good Corsair module). So that leaves only this one Corsair XMS module...

So I guess I'll have to RMA this module.

But, living in Belgium (Europe) I'd have to send the module to California USA. This might turn out to be quite expensive for a module that is nowadays available rather cheap (it was damn expensive when I bought it). Isn't there a contact address in Europe at any chance?

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set these settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

Please try these settings after you load setup defaults.

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR400

Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz/400DDR

Legacy USB: Disabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you still get errors with the suspect module please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I've tried those timings and so on, but this one memory module keeps crashing my Windows. I'm quite confident it's the memory module. The other one (which is identical) just works fine.

Archived