Corsair Community

Possible memory error, opinions/guidance needed!

alecRM

I'm running

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

MSI K8N Neo Platinum

Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

WD Raptor 74GB

WD 120GB

and

four sticks of Corsair 256MB, PC3200, CL2.5 memory.

Until recently, I only had two sticks - everything working fine. Recently I increased the number to four. After about two weeks of no complaints, my system has been randomly freezing (whtever is onscreen at the time just freezes and it doesn't respond), with an average up time of about 4 hours.

Since I assumed it was a problem with the new memory, I tried memtest, no errors. So, I switched the gfx card with an old one, same problems. I thought something was up with memtest, so took out the new memory. Oddly, it started crashing even more back to the original configuration!

So now I've taken all but one stick out, and it's stable. The system is stable whichever of the four sticks I put in singularly, so it seems the error occurs when they're working together.

I've done stuff like updated the BIOS, made sure it wasn't a heat problem, updated drivers...

What should I try now?

Cheers.

I looked at the guide, but I can't really find any direct equivalence to what numbers I can find on mine. Sorry to be an inconvenience, but I found on them the following...

On the two new sticks

Sticker on Stick

VS256MB400

Lot: 0445009-0

Modules on Stick

VS32MB-5

PS1300445

On the two original sticks

Sticker on Stick

VS256MB400

Lot: 0434059-0

Modules on Stick

VS32MB-5

PS1300433

I haven't set anything specific, most things seem to be on 'Auto'.

I did see however that:

CPU FSB: 200

Timing: 2T

I'm not sure if these are the bits of information you were looking for; let me know.

• Corsair Employee
Please load optimized/setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not fialing. If you do find one is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived