Corsair Community

Combining LL fan ans SP fans

msmalfa

Hello,

My system is built inside 220t case with its 3 SP fans and lighting node. I have H100i SE Platinum (LL fans). I purchased another LL fan for rear exhaust. My questions are: what do I need to have in order to light up the rear LL and sync it with the front SPs? and Is there a way to sync the everything so they can carry the same lighting effect?

You have two different fan types with two different LED layouts and designs. It's never going to be an exact match and some preset patterns may appear differently on the two different fan types. However, if you are not maximally obsessive/compulsive, you can get close on most things.

The problem is the programming is based on the number of LEDs per fan and the arrangement of those LEDs on the fan (center hub, exterior ring, etc). So mixing fan types on the same control hub will give you mixed results and that is the obstacle in your way.

The Platinum has it's own lighting controller for 2 fans, but won't support a 3rd LL. The Lighting Node Core that powers/controls your SP-PRO fans on the front is set up for an 8 fan LED. You have a couple of options:

1) You need a Lighting Node Pro (LNP) and a RGB Lighting Hub. Then you can move the top two LL and rear LL to the same controller. Now you have two sets of three fans, each controllable as designed. The problem is obtaining those two parts. There are enough LNPs floating about the internet, but the Lighting Hub is harder to find and subject to a lot of price inflation. It would be tempting to simply buy 3 more LL in the multipack with both items you need, replace the SP-Pro with the LL, and now you have LL 1-6 that synchronizes as you want, both in terms of colors, patterns, and sequence. However, that has a clear cost.

2) Immediate solution today -- connect the rear LL into the Lighting Node Core powering the front 3 SP-Pro fans. Go back to the Lighting Set up for the Core and tell it you have SP-Pro x 5. In effect, this makes the last LL behave like 2 SP-Pro. Should work for basic colors and patterns. This is not a combination I've run, so I can't specifically tell you which patterns will be off, but it will get the lights on.

Edited by c-attack

Thanks for the detailed reply. I found on eBay a listing for Node pro + RGB hub for about 40 dollars. I'll install them this weekend. I was thinking of combing the 3 LLs in one hub like you said before making the post. I'm gonna try the 2nd suggestion now and see what will happen.