Corsair Community

'Memory type is mismatch' error - does this mean memory is dead ?

Hi

Basically my system died about 2 weeks ago. I had the following system spec.

Dual Xeon 3.06GhZ

4GB Corsair 133/266 MHz ECC Registered DDR SDRAM (PC2100)

nVidia Quadro FX2000 Pro

Iwill DPL533 Motherboard.

It was diagnosed that a power spike/surge had killed the PSU which had in turn fried the motherboard. A new power supply and an Intel SE7505VB2 motherboard was purchased and now at power-up all I get are error beeps telling me (according to the MB manual) that 'Memory type is mismatch'. The computer obviously will not boot and the screen stays ominously black.

According to the people who fitted the MB and PSu this means that the memory is dead, i.e. it was damaged in the same way as the other components. Could this be true ? . I might add that other memory has been tested in the machine and it boots.

Can someone tell me if this error message means I have to buy more memory or is there something that is being overlooked.

Unfortunately I do not have access to another machine that takes this kind of memory to test it.

Many thanks iin advance for your help

• Corsair Employees
According to what I can find it looks like this MB may require un-buffered modules. But I would suggest you verify that with the MB maker to be sure. If this is the case an RMA will not solve the problem.

Hi

Thanks for replying promptly. I have checked with Intel and the MB does require buffered (ECC registered) RAM. So this memory should work with the system, yet it does not. It seems I am no further forward, Aaaaaahhg !! ;-)

To ask the same question again can the error code 'Memory type is mismatch' point to faulty RAM or does that RAM simply not like my MB.

Again many thanks.

• Corsair Employees

We can try an RMA if you like.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But under the circumstance if they determine its physical damage they may not be repaired.

Archived