Corsair Community

ICUE Quiet mode at 1500 rpm instead of 700 rpm

Titan777

I downloaded some Icue profiles from Corsair website and once loading them, the quiet mode goes to 1500 rpm and not staying at 700 rpm like the default profile.

Why does this happen and how can I fix it? It is very loud and I can't enjoy the profiles unless I use my own custom fan profile too. But I just want to use the default Quiet Mode.

Default Profile:

01.jpg

Rainbow Six Profile:

02.jpg

Any help?

01.thumb.jpg.8dd508f1c344f9b21977bc9bf30cf69d.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.c44c1349491b1014dcac64c168f8dfb0.jpg

Edited by Titan777

You don't want to use any of the three presets for the Commander. You have a fan controller than can use any of about 20 different control variables. CPU temp with no hysteresis is about the last choice. However, CPU temp is the only thing every system is guaranteed to have, so it is the default fall back setting for the controller.

Immediate quick fix is to change the control sensor variable to GPU temp or motherboard temp, something you likely understand and know the normal range of temperatures for your system. Performance Tab, + to create a custom curve, set up points appropriate for that temperature range.

The ideal control variable are the 10k thermistor probes that come with the Commander. They can be used for assessing air temperature entering/exiting the case or used with common water cooling temp probes for custom cooling. That does require more initial tinkering to learn the range of normal temperatures. It will be both unique to your environment and the proximity to any heat sources, so no one can tell you set Temp X and Fan speed Y. However, those values will keep the fans at a steady pace, only changing when the case air exchange needs to speed up. They also work when CUE is not running, unlike sensor data that must come through the motherboard.

You don't want to use any of the three presets for the Commander. You have a fan controller than can use any of about 20 different control variables. CPU temp with no hysteresis is about the last choice. However, CPU temp is the only thing every system is guaranteed to have, so it is the default fall back setting for the controller.

Immediate quick fix is to change the control sensor variable to GPU temp or motherboard temp, something you likely understand and know the normal range of temperatures for your system. Performance Tab, + to create a custom curve, set up points appropriate for that temperature range.

The ideal control variable are the 10k thermistor probes that come with the Commander. They can be used for assessing air temperature entering/exiting the case or used with common water cooling temp probes for custom cooling. That does require more initial tinkering to learn the range of normal temperatures. It will be both unique to your environment and the proximity to any heat sources, so no one can tell you set Temp X and Fan speed Y. However, those values will keep the fans at a steady pace, only changing when the case air exchange needs to speed up. They also work when CUE is not running, unlike sensor data that must come through the motherboard.

Thanks for the detailed reply but I don't think you understood my issue, if you can please read the thread again.

The issue is ONLY when choosing an ICUE lighting profile that I've downloaded from Corsair website.

Once I choose one of those profiles, the Quiet Mode boosts to 1500 RPM instead of 700 RPM like it should, since this is unchangble - it's a default mode.

Hope you understand better.

I understand. You are using a fan profile where the speed is linked to CPU temperature with a corresponding high fan speed at a relatively low CPU temperature. Everyone who uses the presets will see rapid fan spikes to 1500 rpm any time their processor so much as twitches. Open a program. Fan blast. Move a desktop window around - fan blast. Ryzen 3000 is pretty reactive to begin with, so I am surprised the fan speed doesn’t stay pegged at 1500 rpm all the time on Quiet. Newer processors rarely stay inactive. Get off the presets using CPU temp and make your own curve. There is no good reason to be using cpu temp as the control variable unless you are actually running a cpu air cooler from the Commander. Even then, I would connect that directly to the motherboard CPU fan controller.

I understand. You are using a fan profile where the speed is linked to CPU temperature with a corresponding high fan speed at a relatively low CPU temperature. Everyone who uses the presets will see rapid fan spikes to 1500 rpm any time their processor so much as twitches. Open a program. Fan blast. Move a desktop window around - fan blast. Ryzen 3000 is pretty reactive to begin with, so I am surprised the fan speed doesn’t stay pegged at 1500 rpm all the time on Quiet. Newer processors rarely stay inactive. Get off the presets using CPU temp and make your own curve. There is no good reason to be using cpu temp as the control variable unless you are actually running a cpu air cooler from the Commander. Even then, I would connect that directly to the motherboard CPU fan controller.

But how come the default light preset works fine with the Quiet Mode?

Only when choosing other light modes that I downloaded from Corsair will cause the RPM to bt at minimum of 1500.

By the way, if I make a manual curve, I need to do it for each and every light preset I have? That's way too much. Is there a way to copy paste it or something?

Also is there a game detection in ICUE, so I can have it change the fan modes automatically once I go into a specific game?

Thank you!

Just changing profiles from on to another is likely to trigger a fan response because the cpu will blip in temperature on the command, similar to launching a program, opening up a large folder full of objects, etc. It’s also possible you have different settings in the other profiles, knowingly or not.

To that end, you can assign a fan profile to fan #1-6 in all profiles by going to the rectangle with the rpm reading, clicking on the three horizontal lines, and select copy to all profiles. This will assign that fan curve to all the fan #1s for all profiles. You must do this for each fan 1-6.

There is nothing special about the “default” profile. It’s just a placeholder created on the initial load. You can rename it. You can delete it. But your actual default profile will be whichever one is in the top of the list. CUE will start on that one.

You can link specific profiles to games with tailored lighting, key assignments, etc. On the general profile screen (not the device tab), there should be three text fields. You can link the profile to trigger by connecting it to the .exe file for the game. You can also assign custom icons or backgrounds on this page. For some launcher programs like Steam, you’ll need to dig down into Steam folder to find it (drive letter/Steam/SteamApps/Common/"game folder"/locate exe). Microsoft Store games are extremely difficult to link since hide the exe from you. A linked profile cannot also be your default profile. It will be skipped over if it’s on the top of the list.

Edited by c-attack

Just changing profiles from on to another is likely to trigger a fan response because the cpu will blip in temperature on the command, similar to launching a program, opening up a large folder full of objects, etc. It’s also possible you have different settings in the other profiles, knowingly or not.

To that end, you can assign a fan profile to fan #1-6 in all profiles by going to the rectangle with the rpm reading, clicking on the three horizontal lines, and select copy to all profiles. This will assign that fan curve to all the fan #1s for all profiles. You must do this for each fan 1-6.

There is nothing special about the “default” profile. It’s just a placeholder created on the initial load. You can rename it. You can delete it. But your actual default profile will be whichever one is in the top of the list. CUE will start on that one.

You can link specific profiles to games with tailored lighting, key assignments, etc. On the general profile screen (not the device tab), there should be three text fields. You can link the profile to trigger by connecting it to the .exe file for the game. You can also assign custom icons or backgrounds on this page. For some launcher programs like Steam, you’ll need to dig down into Steam folder to find it (drive letter/Steam/SteamApps/Common/"game folder"/locate exe). Microsoft Store games are extremely difficult to link since hide the exe from you. A linked profile cannot also be your default profile. It will be skipped over if it’s on the top of the list.

Actually you can't delete those 3 profiles named Quiet, Balanced, Extreme.

Also they do not change RPM speed once the CPU is loaded or any program "triggers" anything. It stays as it should, a quiet mode. Even if I play a heavy game.

So I don't get why choosing a light setup from corsair website will change these modes, you can't change them! there's just no way to change it. You can only create a new profile to your liking.

I noticed only the 4 fans on the CP change the Quiet Mode rpm to 1500, but on the H115 they stay at 700 rpm. This is weird.

This happens even if I create a new profile.

Is it possible to do an option where all the profiles detect when I'm in a game and change to high rpm fans, but when I'm not in a game it will automatically stay at a low fan rpm?

AMD driver has this option. There's a global settings and an each game settings. I would like to do it for the same lighting profile, so I won't have to manually change the fan speed everytime I go into a game, because I like the lighting colors and don't want to duplicate each profile for this to work.

Edited by Titan777

Quiet, Balanced, and Extreme are fan presets, not profiles. No you can't delete them, nor do you need to. You do need to make your own for the Commander. "Quiet" on the Commander is not the same as Quiet on any of the AIO coolers. As mentioned, it's just a name. Different fan curve, different control variable, different hardware, different result.

It is perfectly fine to use the Quiet setting on the AIO. It is using coolant temperature (H115i Temp) as the control variable - as it should. You can use this for the Commander too. Commander Pro, Performance Tab, click + to create a new 'cooling mode'. This is your custom curve. A graph has now appeared below. Change the sensor choice to "H115i Temp". In the top right corner of the graph there are three shape tools. Click the left of the three. That is a copy of the AIO "Quiet curve". Don't forget to click the fan curve on the left, then all of the fan RPMs on the right to apply it too all fans. Now the case fans will match the AIO fans.

The profiles are all of your master groups of settings listed in the left side of CUE. You have at least the two I can see: "Default" and your RB6 game profile. You can make a unique profile for every game you own, then link the .exe to the profile from the main profile page where you can assign icons, images, and program linking. However, while you can duplicate an entire profile with two clicks, assigning each, renaming each, and customizing each is going to be a lot of work, depending on how many games you have. If you simply want a higher or more aggressive fan curve for gaming, you can use the existing Rainbow Six one or make a copy of it and re-name it "game profile" or whatever. Set your higher fan settings. Manually switching into it and back out is going to be a lot less work that linking every single game. Because you can only link one program to one profile, you would need to create a copy of the master game profile for every game you own. Again, if you have 20-30 games, this has a dramatic impact on your CUE management and time spent.