Corsair Community

h100i rgb pro xt some "noob" questions

MrRicc1olo

Hi All,

I'm Alan and I have some questions/doubt about h100i rgb pro xt cooler.

(I'm not english mother tongue but i'll try to be much clear as possible)

I just installed it on my Ryzen 3600x and I did some checks to see if all is going fine. On ICUE pump and fans are on "balance" setting.

I stressed cpu with cinebench and I reached 72-75°C.

That seemS a bit high to me , so the first question is: is it the right cpu temperature for this 240 mm radiator AIO ?

On ICUE, during the tests, under H100i device I can see a temperature (liquid temperature?). When cpu reach 74°C the liquid temperature goes from 28.3 to ~30.5°C. Second question: Is that how it has to work ?

I also tried to run Cinebench with fans to 'zero' setting twice. I reached 77°C CPU and 34.7°C liquid temp. Third question: Is it the dissipation from cpu to pump and radiator working right ?

In general, what i'm asking is, if you Can see that It is working "as it should be" or if You find something wrong.

I have some doubts because I was expecting better cooling (less cpu temp) from that cooler. The only experience I had with an AIO was on a ryzen 1600x with a 120mm Corsair AIO and I never reached 60°C.

Thank you for those who want To share his opinion/experience .

Alan

Some of my spec:

AMD Ryzen 3600x on TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

PSU Corsair HX850i, 2x16 vengeace RGB Pro

Case Thermaltake View 71TG

3 front fans (air in) , 1 back fan (air out)

h100i RGB pro xt 240mm top (air in)

Edited by MrRicc1olo

End CPU temperature is always going to be determined by voltage. The more voltage applied at the pins, the higher the CPU temp is going to be. The heat must pass through the CPU to be conducted elsewhere, so the voltage becomes the limiting factor no matter how large your cooling system. The cooling system deals with watts and this not the same as CPU temperature. The larger the output of your CPU in terms of watts, the more cooling capacity you need, but a tiny 2 core CPU running 1.50v will be the same temp on a 560mm radiator or a 120mm one. Both systems are capable of dumping all the heat wattage the CPU generates, but they can't prevent the CPU from being hot in the first place.

When you start R20 or any fixed 100% load, you will see an instant jump in CPU temperature from where it was. The lowest possible CPU temperature with zero volts (off) is the coolant temperature. That difference between baseline coolant temp and your 100% load CPU temp is sometimes referred to as your coolant differential. That value is directly tied to your voltage and in those first few seconds the cooler on the other end has no impact on the temperature at all. The cooler keeps it from getting warmer. Inevitably, there will be some climb in coolant temperature even if its just because the sensor is after the heat pick up at the CPU and before the radiator dissipation point.

1) Liquid temperature is the correct fan control variable for the fans. Fans remove heat from the coolant stream. They do not cool the CPU on the pin side. If the coolant doesn't go up, then running the fans faster won't help.

2) Liquid temp change and CPU temp change are 1=1. If H100i Temp goes up +1, CPU temp goes up +1. Same thing for -1. This means there is likely little reason for you to blast the fans to reduce the coolant by 1-2C.

3) Your CPU temp for R20 or R15 is probably normal. You would need to compare your CPU to other 3600X and the exact voltage you are using, plus the normal variance between CPU samples, and... it varies both for the load type and the unique CPU. This is also why you can't really compare to different AMD chips with two different coolers. Right now, the cooler settings don't affect what you are doing. R20/R15 is a relatively short duration test. The shorter the load, the less total wattage there is to remove. If you were to run a CPU render or some other constant load for 30 minutes, then it becomes more important and has the additive effect on temperature.

4) What you can compare between coolers is the liquid temperature rise. That is a function of watts. However, you're not seeing a lot of change because AMD went to a lot of trouble to shrink the die and make it really power efficient. Because you only use that 65-120W (or whatever the real life load), you don't have that much to dissipate and won't see a lot of coolant change. This is the opposite of what a 32 core Threadripper owner must deal with where the high power consumption creates a lot of heat that needs to be dumped elsewhere. This also means if you have a 4-8 core AMD Ryzen 3000 series, you don't need to spend a lot of money on a massive cooling system. You won't ever pull the same level of power from the wall to need it.