Corsair Community

Install 12 QL120 fans on 2 RGB hubs and 1 commander pro, is it possible?

GoruchyBuilder

Hello, I'm looking into building a system with 12 QL120 fans and would like to know if it would be possible to do so using just 2 lighting node cores and 1 commander pro?

Is it possible to use splitters to put two fans on each PWM plug of the commander pro? I don't care if both fans on the same plug run at the same speed, as long as I can still control the speed of each pair of fans connected to each plug that will be fine.

RGB on the other hand I'll want full control over the lighting on each of the 12 fans.

I'm a little confused by some of the marketing because it says you can plug in 1 lighting node core and 1 lighting strip into the commander pro, but I'm also reading that you could plug in 2 lighting node cores to the commander pro instead of using any lighting strips. If that's possible and I can still have full control over all of the RGB lights on all 12 QL120 fans that would be great.

Or do I need to buy 2 commander pros? I'm more concerned with cutting down on the number of hubs in my case than anything else.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by GoruchyBuilder

• Corsair Employees

Hey GoruchyBuilder,

You should be able to connect 6x QL per Lighting Node Core, so 2x of them should be adequate for 12 fans. Each Lighting Node Core would take up an LED channel on the Commander Pro, so 2 channels = 2 Lighting Node Cores. An LED strip would have used an LED channel, but the Lighting Node Core will take it's place.

In regards to PWM, you can use splitters. Each fan draws .30 A, so just keep that in mind when you are loading them on splitters. The PWM headers on the Commander PRO provide up to 1A per connection, up to 4A collectively.

Also, good luck with your cable management, this is going to be a lot of wires!

Thank you very much for that info. Yes cable management is going to be a bit of work, especially since it's an Antec Torque case. I'll have to employ some clever routing and probably some kind of conduit to keep the wires neat. Going to be a project for sure, but at least I now have a roadmap I can follow.

This really was a big help to me, thank you again!

I used something like this to install 10 Corsair HD140/120 fans into a Thermaltake Core X5 Case worked very well to put all those unsightly cables into a sleeve. MGI SpeedWare-Split-Sleeve. There are many other manufactures and diymod may have something too. link to amazon you maybe able to find it is a specific color also. BTW zip ties are your friend

Edit; direct manufacture site https://mgispeedware.com/product/woven-wire-loom/ shows the various sizes 1/4in to 3/4in

https://www.amazon.com/MGI-SpeedWare-Split-Sleeve-Automotive-Electronic/dp/B07JQT11GX/ref=asc_df_B07JQT11GX/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343991705271&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17546060357813750882&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031827&hvtargid=pla-609487752440&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69534739856&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343991705271&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17546060357813750882&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031827&hvtargid=pla-609487752440

Edited by jwar