Corsair Community

CXMS 3200's running in single at 166?

dnbyrd

hello all,

I have a pair of XMS 3200C2PT 512's v2.2, running on a gigabyte K8NSNXP, however, cpuz reports them running in single channel, and at a frequency of 157.9 Mhz (2-3-3-7). Also, in the SPD tab under the timings table the 1st seems to be running at 166Mhz(2-3-3-7), and the 2nd at 200Mhz(2.5-3-3-8). How can I get them to run in dual channel at 200Mhz? :confused:

Thanks.

(Note: Bios reports 2-3-3-7, and ramclock is set to auto. Sticks are in slots 1 & 2.)

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me our modules part# and revisions and lot code for each module (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Thanks for your help,

The label reads on both:

part # - CMX512 - 3200C2PT

revision # - XMS3202v2.2

lot # - 0321116

My cpu is a athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle, FSB is 200 11.0X multiplier. I have default settings for cpu and fsb in the bios.

The MB is a Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP 754 Socket Rev 1.0 F11Bios, with the nForce chipset.

ok, I tried several diff. things.

first off, the same product, revision, and lot #'s apply to both modules.

First I tried running single sticks in slot 1, and I got 201Mhz at (2.5-4-3-8)(This was with both modules)

However, in slot 2 the single sticks ran at the same clock as before(157.9, 2-3-3-6 i think.)

And in slot 3, the singles sticks ran at 100Mhz with 2-2-2-6 timings. :confused:

Also, any attempt to put both sticks in, at whatever slot combo, results in the same 157.9Mhz.

I would try the modules in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and see if they will pass http://www.memtest.org set at DDR400 manually.

When I tried the dimms in 1-3 and 2-3, I could not even get the system to go through post when i set the max memclock from "auto", to 200Mhz in the bios. I ended up having to clear the cmos to be able to boot my system after each attempt. Is there any other way I could try to set the Mhz manually?

If the modules will run at DDR400 one up and pass http://www.memtest.org, that may just be the limit of this MB and CPU combo. But I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that. But I would encourage you to test them in another system if you can.

Ok, I'll try them in another system, but since they seem to be running fine as is, I think I'll just wait until my next mobo upgrade and see how that goes. Thanks for your help.

I just tested them in another friend's computer, he has a p4 3.2ghz with an asus P4C800-E. Straight out of boot they ran at 199Mhz(2-3-3-7) in dual channel. He also has corsair memory (2*512 XMS 3200LL's) and I tested them in this comp. They did exactly the same as my ram did, except for a bit higher latency, due to the properties of his sticks. I also talked to the guy at the store where i bought this mobo, and he owns one too, but his corsairs did the same thing.

I'm talking to gigabyte tomorrow, and will probably be replacing the board, since I'm not really happy with it anyway.

Thanks again

Hi dnbyrd,

I ever have the same mb K8NSNXP as you. This is not the board fault, According to that AMD CPU guide, you can only run @400 mhz with 1 stick of 512 mb DDR400 (It is the AMD64-754 limitation). When I put them in slot 1-2 it will downcloack to DDR333 speed. I succeded run @400 mhz with TwinX1024-3200LLPRO in slot 1-3, no voltage change needed. I never change the timings, only the memclock from auto to 200 mhz. FYI, In socket 939 rev. D you can use memory up to 1 GB, with rev. E (Venice) you'll be able to use up to 2 GB of DDR 400 without downclock to DDR333.Enjoy :)

Archived