Corsair Community

8 year old Corsair HX 850 Watt Gold

rakii

Im looking for an answer for a question, that I probably already know, but here goes.

My old faithfull PSU is starting to really ramp up in noise everytime I play a game. Ive narrowed it down to this component by trial and error.

So my question is, is it time to change out my powersupply to a new one, and how far have PSU's come in the last 8 years in terms of silence, probably alot?

Im trying to gauge my powercomsumption, so I can pick a PSU that ramps up very litttle, when im using around 450watt at peak power. The H1000i look to fit my needs in that regard, or can any other PSU give me virtual no noise at 450watt consumption.

Guess thats 3 questions :)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You cant see my PC parts ive typed in on the forums?

Ive typed them into this PSU calculator

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list

Motherboard: Desktop

CPU: 1 x Intel Core i5-9600K

CPU Speed: 3700MHz

CPU Vcore: 1.2V

CPU Utilization: 90%

Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Module

Video Card Set 1: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

Core Clock: 1410MHz

Memory Clock: 1750MHz

Storage: 2 x SSD

Storage: 1 x SATA 7.2K RPM

Keyboard: 1 x Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: 1 x Gaming Mouse

Fan: 7 x 120mm

Liquid Cooling Kit: 1 x Corsair Hydro H115i

Computer Utilization: 8 hours per day

Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: 4 hours per day

Monitor: 1 x LED 27 inches

Load Wattage: 429W

Recommended Wattage: 479W

Amperage: +3.3V: 10.2A, +5V: 8.9A, +12V: 29.2A

Recommended UPS Rating: 900VA

Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2020-08-24 02:07:24

Edited by rakii

• Corsair Employees

Considering how much Outervision PSU calculator exaggerates, 450W would work and 550W or 650W is more than enough.

I'm confused about "The H1000i look to fit my needs in that regard".

What is an H1000i? You mean the H100i CPU cooler? Looks like you already have the H115i.

My bad, I was meant to say the HX1000i PSU, not an AIO. You cant even choose the one I have, H150i Pro, on that list anyway.

No, what I meant was, judging from this datasheet on the manuals on the HXi series: https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B1Lyq1C2YWS.pdf

It looks like if im calculating 450watt at peak, even if its abit to high, I could get a HX1000i, and keep it a the lowest possible fan rotation up until 600watt, if im reading the diagram correctly? I might not even get it to rotate, if I dont hit 400watt, but thats maybe pushing it.

• Corsair Employees

Yes. You could get the HX1000i and probably never see/hear the fan spin up as long as you don't have a bunch of RGB stuff. But that seems like a bit of a waste of money.

The old 80 PLUS Gold 850W was never particularly quiet, so it's not a good comparison.

So regarding my first issue with my old PSU: noise, your saying that since were 8 years down the road, any new PSU, that fits my power comsumption, would probably have a fan that makes low noise under high wattage?

I'll quote you on that, when my wife asks me why im spending money on something that I already have :biggrin:

One last question, which PSU from the Corsair line series would you recommend if you had my setup, or does it even matter, aslong as the power needed is sufficient? Then any PSU series from Corsair could do the job?

I'll bury the wife, so money aint something to consider :o:

I would probably choose the 'i' version, since I get the added benefit of using the icue software to monitor the PSU, something I sorely missed with my old PSU.

Im leaning towards the HX850i, the price difference from the HX750i, is almost negligible.

Where as the jump from HX850i to the HX1000i, is considerably more, and im not sure if it would matter for me anyway.

But thank you very much for the banter. Atleast I now know im not half crazy , when I say to myself I need a new PSU :laughing: