Corsair Community

Commander PRO not working properly - fan RPM doesn't change

Benji7

Hi guys!

I've just bought a ComPRO and hooked it up to my fans (2x SP PRO RGB 140 mm, 1x SP PRO RGB 120 mm, 1x ML 120 mm, 2x stock case fans). The fans are all spining and working, but I have no control over the fan RPM, no matter what predefined or custom profile I select. The only time when I could hear them ramping up is when I manually selected from Settings > Fan Port #1 to be 3 pin, since it wasn't showing up. They started spinning faster for 5-10 seconds, but after that they went back to normal and I still couldn't control any of the fans. Also, even tho Fan Port #1 was now active, it only showed 0 RPM, as if it didn't detect any actual fan connected. Now I've left them all on Auto, and Fan Port #1 is no longer available.

I'm waiting for my QLs to arrive next week, I plan to only use QLs in this build, but I will add them over the course of a few weeks, untill then it'll be a sort of mishmash, SP PROs and QLs.

I've already updated the firmware for the ComPRO and the iCUE app itself to the latest available versions, and I still have no control over the fan RPM. It's kinda frustrating since I've only bought the ComPRO to have full control over RGB and fan speeds from the iCUE app, since the Gigabyte one (the one from the motherboard) is very unintuitive.

Can you please provide me with a fix fot this issue? I really don't want to RMA the ComPRO and I'd very much like to keep it, as long as I can use it for its intended purpose.

If there is any more info you need, I'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks!

1.thumb.png.b3371567c364be3ca720e3c55a567ec1.png

2.thumb.png.2e21f525d9d171bd58c45f0b53e2d3c1.png

3.thumb.png.6cf128412d02debb30057853d7af88b1.png

4.thumb.png.a08ba315c4233f0d9a89fb19dea31344.png

Edited by Benji7

On a different note, I intend to buy a Lighting PRO Expansion Kit, without buying the Lighting Node PRO RGB which includes the controller. I have 2 RGB ports available on the ComPRO, and 1 port on the Lighting Node Core, can I use one of these to directly connect the expansion kit without needing the Lighting Node PRO controller?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/iCUE-CONTROLLERS/CORSAIR-RGB-LED-Lighting-PRO-Expansion-Kit/p/CL-8930002

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/iCUE-CONTROLLERS/iCUE-Lighting-Node-PRO-RGB-Lighting-Controller/p/CL-9011109-WW

Manually set the DC/PWM setting for all fans instead of leaving it on auto. That’s 3 pin for the SP-Pro, 4 pin for the ML, and ? For the other case fans. Sometimes the auto doesn’t detect properly and when you get the QL you’ll want it on 4 pin anyway so it skips the 12v start test on every boot.

Don’t use the presets for testing and frankly don’t use them at all. They are running from cpu temp with no hysteresis of any kind. They’ll pulse all day long.

What happens if you use a “fixed RPM” instead of %? The Commander is a RPM based controller where most use PWM %. That doesn’t mean % shouldn’t work, but it might help identify a physical vs software issue.

I forgot to mention, but I've already tried this. Both Auto and Manual, both predefined and custom profiles, both RPM and %. I think I literally tried every available combination, but to no avail. I don't intend to use the predefined profiles for my use case, I was just trying to show that no matter what option I select, nothing changes. I've also tried connecting only one fan (both one of the SPs and a ML), the issue persists.

Just to get this out of the way, I'm not basing my conclusion that the ComPRO isn't properly controlling the fans on the fact that the RPM shown within the app doesn't change, but rather on the noise coming from the fans. It's exactly the same, no matter what setting I choose. At the moment, the fans are spinning faster than they were at my previous Low setting (from within the Gigabyte app) but definitely slower than they were spinning at Max.

Edited by Benji7

You can try attacking this from the software end, although there isn't much indication of which way this is leaning.

1) Try a repair install of iCUE. Windows Settings -> Apps -> click on Corsair iCUE and select 'modify'. This will reinstall drivers without wiping your settings and is generally helpful with cleaning up weird issues.

2) If it does not work, it is possible the config file for the Commander has become corrupted. Quit iCUE. Navigate to C:User/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair/CUE/Cooling and then cut and paste that configurations file to the desktop. Now relaunch the program and it will generate a new config file. Any curves you have created will be gone, but test again on a new custom curve to see if it responds. If it does not, you can drop the old config file back into the place to regain your prior settings.

Aside from that, I am not sure where there is left to go. You may want to start a support ticket with Corsair now, regardless of your intention. That likely will not be an immediate remedy and generally with new hardware, exchange with the retailer is a more expedient option.

• Confused 1

On a different note, I intend to buy a Lighting PRO Expansion Kit, without buying the Lighting Node PRO RGB which includes the controller. I have 2 RGB ports available on the ComPRO, and 1 port on the Lighting Node Core, can I use one of these to directly connect the expansion kit without needing the Lighting Node PRO controller?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/iCUE-CONTROLLERS/CORSAIR-RGB-LED-Lighting-PRO-Expansion-Kit/p/CL-8930002

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/iCUE-CONTROLLERS/iCUE-Lighting-Node-PRO-RGB-Lighting-Controller/p/CL-9011109-WW

Does anyone have any idea about this?

I've solved the issue, if anyone is interested, here's what happened: after installing my QLs, I unchecked the "All devices" option from the H115i PRO tab, purely by accident. Now the ComPRO works perfectly, it was something to do with that option that stopped it from controlling the RPM of the fans.

Regarding the RGB extension kits, they can be directly connected to the ComPRO, without the need for a dedicated controller.

Edited by Benji7

I am having a similar issue. I have 4x EK-Vardar EVO RGB 120mm PWM. I will be going through this thread tonight to walk through settings! Thanks for all of the information.

NOTE* I can fix the RPM in custom profile to 2200rpm (max rated for these fans) and they will stop pulsing and sit around that RPM. I have a 5th EK-Vardar EVO RGB 120mm PWM facing me so I can visually see RPM changes.

I am having a similar issue. I have 4x EK-Vardar EVO RGB 120mm PWM. I will be going through this thread tonight to walk through settings! Thanks for all of the information.

NOTE* I can fix the RPM in custom profile to 2200rpm (max rated for these fans) and they will stop pulsing and sit around that RPM. I have a 5th EK-Vardar EVO RGB 120mm PWM facing me so I can visually see RPM changes.

Unfortunately that is probably going to be a different issue. The Commander has trouble with a few European manufactured PWM fans, with EK Vardar one of the more common ones. There seems to be some differences on the PWM standard employed. You can try setting various PWM % in any manual curve to see if it will respond to that vs the normal RPM control, but it is probably not going to work in the manner expected.

• 3 months later...

Hi. Just bought a Commander Pro. Found out that the 3 predefined profiles quiet, balanced and extreeme all do the same thing. Ramps all fans to max. Reading this makes me ask one thing. I have the Fractal Design rgb fans. Anyone know if they are a mismatch to cp aswell?

Best regards

Bjør

Those haven’t come up before and I don’t have a pair to test. However, the 3 Commander Pro presets use CPU temp as the control variable and the curve isn’t really meant for that. The normal outcome is 1400 rpm baseline. No reason to use them and I recommend everyone get off them immediately.

Performance tab and click the +. New graph appears below. GPU temp or AIO temp if you have a Corsair AIO are immediate solutions. Long term the temp probes from the Commander are perfect for intake/exhaust temp measurements and that is what you are trying to control.

Hi. Thanx for helping out. I am currently using bequiet dark rock pro to cool my 3950X. I have the watercooling parts, but i do not have the time right now.Created a custom fan setup for my 4 case fans. I would really like to have the 3 casefans in front on one speed and the rear at another.....how is that done in iCue?

And is it possible to uncheck a fan? (if you tick a fan its yellow) Why is this program so damn har to understand/use?

Is there a tutorial somewhere? For now i just set constant rpm on my fans. Tried to use a cusom curve based on the 3950x sensor in drop down menu, but the fans go up and down from 650-1000 all the time.....i just cant stand it.....

Hope you have some answers to all my "stupid" questions

Best regards

Bjørn

Usually the first line in any response about this is "get off the presets on the Commander" as they default to CPU temperature with no hysteresis or fan delays. 99/100 users have a AIO and there is no reason whatsoever to use CPU temp as control variable for anything. If you are running a CPU air cooler, that is the exception.

So with no hysteresis function, the Commander is not a great control tool for the air cooler. You could set the curve really flat, but even trying hard to make it work there is a safety reason to move the air cooler fans only back to the MB and CPU/OPT. If you get the fans wrong or they stay locked at minimum on a water cooler, it takes 5 min plus of max load before you start to hit the thermal limit. With an air tower, you don't have that much time. There are moments where you can be in an extended state without the software running, whether it's in the BIOS pondering over all undescribed functions or even just troubleshooting stuff on the desktop. It would be better to keep the air cooler fans active and responsive that entire time. Asus does have adjustable fan delays built into their BIOS. Typically CPU/OPT can go from 2.3-8 seconds based on your preference. Split the middle to start and that should take some of the ramping out. You also may want to make your own curve. A proper preset would need to account for the maximum speed of the fans in use and obviously everyone is using different ones. Set up your own curve. You should be able to do that from the EZ-BIOS Q-Fan graph or in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitoring section using text input. Sometimes the fan delays are hidden in the Advance BIOS Monitoring tab. This seems to vary by motherboard.

The rest of the case fans can stay on the commander and allow you to tweak them from the desktop. First thing you need is a better control variable. I think the two best choices would be either 1) GPU temp (you likely know the normal range of this) or 2) Connect one of the temp probes from the Commander and run it to the rear exhaust. This will measure the exhaust air temp and give you an indicator of both CPU waste heat and GPU waste heat as well as the combination. The good thing about the Temp sensors is they are the native control source and will work all the time, software running or not. It makes for a nice quiet start up. the catch is you will need to learn the normal range of temps. I can't tell you a curve. Depending on your case, use, load, and environment, the exhaust air could range from 20-50C. That will be a discovery process, but since you can tweak them from the desktop, not as annoying as having to go to the BIOS.

Fan Selection - CUE 3 has you click the fan profile in the Performance Tab on the left (active is yellow bar), then click all of the fans on the right you want to run that profile. They will highlight yellow when they are part of that group. This is somewhat opposite to the way many programs work where you select the fan, then tell it what profile to run. When we changed over from Link to CUE 3, I spent months habitually clicking the fan first before finally getting used to it. In order to "de-select" a fan from a group, you must apply another profile to it. You can't simply remove it from the group and make it unassigned, like you can with lighting LEDs.