Corsair Community

Issues with H100i v2 and loosening mounting pressure on CPU

MyDingling

Hi all, I've been having a really strange issue and no clue what could be going on. Some background: I upgraded my i5-6600k/z170/Spec-02 case to a i7-10700/MSI MPG z490m/Crystal 280x case.I kept the graphics card, power supply, and CPU cooler all the same, which were working fine in the previous system.

The issue I'm seeing is that every week or so the computer will become unable to post and hang at the CPU validation phase. Opening it up, I can get it to work by wiggling around the water pump and re-applying torque pressure (though I should probably stop doing this). When I initially built the system with the new parts I couldn't get it to post at all, and only through a ton of trial and error was I able to determine it had something to do with the physical pressure on the CPU.

When I'm not having these issues, it runs great. Temps are good, overclocks are stable, and stress testing the system doesn't yield any strange results. I'm really at a loss as to what could be going on. Most of the issues regarding CPU mounting Ive found appear to revolve around temps, but that's not what I'm seeing at all. I may try the stock cooler for a while to see if that is more stable.

Anyone have insight? I sent corsair a support ticket, but I'm starting to get desperate now.

UPDATE: I took the whole system apart and noticed I had the mounting plate on sideways and the plastic was touching some of the metal parts on the motherboard. I flipped it, put most of it back together and....still having the same issue. I'm starting to think it's a defective mobo/CPU. It should be able to post without the cooler right?