Corsair Community

Buying Into The Corsair RGB Ecosystem - Am I Missing Something?

MossMan

I’ve been researching this up and down. I’ve read the major thread on this forum about Corsair’s various RGB products.

I want to set up two, QL120 RGB fans and two Corsair RGB light strips in my small case. The only way I can see that I’m able to do this is if I purchase a 3-pack of fans (because that’s the only way to get the Lighting Node Core, which I must use due to Corsair’s proprietary RGB connectors) and also purchase a Light Node Pro kit with 4 RGB light strips.

As a result, it will cost me (in Canadian dollars) $175 for the fan set and $90 for the light strip set plus tax for a grand total of $298.80.

After throwing away the one fan and two light strips which I don’t want, I will have the two 120mm fans and two light strips that I actually want for $300.

That’s two RGB fans and two light strips for THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS.

Am I missing something? Can this actually be the only way to do this?

Edited by MossMan

Because of the complexity of the lighting and actual current levels from using it, most of the new RGB systems require a controller of some type. That makes entry level for a small number of components relatively expensive. You need a lighting controller and current regulator if you have 1 fan or 12.

I think the least expensive path for you is as follows:

1) RGB strip kit (x4) with the Lighting Node Pro. There is your lighting controller.

2) 2 QL 120 single packs. You don't need the Core device. It is another form of lighting controller, but for fans only. The Node Pro in the strip kit has 2 channels - one for the strips and one for the 2 fans. As long as...

3) You get a RGB Lighting Hub. This is the current regulator for the Node Pro and Commander. In the Core device, it's inside the controller box but that one can only do fans and is only 1 channel as a result. The RGB Hub is hard to find. It should cost $10 USD, but people get them and mark it up because of scarcity.

Because of the number of parts, availability, and shipping costs, I am not sure how much better off this will be. It is likely a slight improvement at best. You can decide if getting the extra fan is worthwhile, if you would toss all this stuff away when your current PC is done. You can't really expect companies to sell their parts a la carte where you can get whatever number of parts you want at scale. I don't know any company in this industry that sells that way. If you are trying to keep the budget as lean as possible, the cheapest option is 2 inexpensive RGB fan and 2 inexpensive strips that are capable with your motherboard RGB software and board headers (12v or 5v D-RGB).

Thanks for your reply.

If I have to have a hub in order to run the three fans, why wouldn’t it be included in the 3-pack or made widely available as a stand-alone purchase?

After all don’t you think $175 before tax is a little steep for 3 fans that aren’t usable?

I’m not looking to keep my budget as lean as possible by any means but I think this pricing is really crazy high.

If I have to have a hub in order to run the three fans, why wouldn’t it be included in the 3-pack or made widely available as a stand-alone purchase?

It is... If you buy the three pack, everything you need is in there. The difference in this specific instance is the QL use a different controller (The Core) that is both controller and current regulator in one package for up to 6 fans. It cannot be used for strips, Hydro X, etc. Thus you still need the Node Pro for the strips. The Node Pro and Commander Pro are both lighting controllers only, but can do 2 channels worth of hardware. There is only so much you can jam onto the circuit board so their current regulation is on a separate device. For what you want to do, the Node Pro + RGB Lighting Hub makes more sense to control both fans and strips and the product arrangement favors that as well. If you decided to get the triple pack of QL, you could forgo the RGB Lighting Hub ($10). The Core device would power the fans. The LNP would power the strips. It's still two controller devices and two SATA connections no matter which way you do it.

There is nothing inexpensive about the QL fans. The price sets them as a luxury product. They may not make sense from your perspective.

If you have not seen it, take a look at the guide below. At the very least, it will allow you to put some pictures to the names.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Oh yes that’s right, thanks, I forgot. Still, it circles back to my original issue that if you have a small build, there’s no reasonably priced option from Corsair for just 2 fans and 2 strips.

I’d happily spend $150 or maybe even $200 for two fans and two strips. But for $300 I can move up to the next level of graphics card or cpu and still have enough for a cheaper fan/RGB solution.