Corsair Community

Differences between HX1200i and AX1200i?

BPENS

Main purpose for this post is to seek input from someone who has experience with both units. PC is mainly used for remote work and gaming. Specs are in my profile- all parts listed except the case and GPU have been purchased in the last 3 months. No issues with this machine until the PSUs started going out. I'm curious what differences will I notice between the 2, assuming they both were working as intended.

I currently have an open RMA with Corsair, with an offer to replace my third failed AX1200i with an HX1200i. I don't like the idea of downgrading, but apparently paying the difference to go up to an AX1500i isn't an option.

So I had an AX1200i that I picked up about 3 years ago that stopped working. Did an RMA, got a factory refurbished unit. A few days after installing it, it started powering off and not restarting. Would happen while the computer was sleeping, and when it was running. Tried installing it in a different PC that was also running an AX1200i, and it failed in that machine, too. That machine's PSU worked flawless in the machine that kept having PSU failures. Did another RMA, and got what appeared to be a brand new AX1200i. Worked well for about 24-36 hours before it started shutting down also. Swapped out power cords, just in case. No dice. Fan test works, paper clip test works, but the PSU still randomly shuts down. Will run Furmark or Unigine Superposition for hours without issue, but then will shut down while sleeping. Or will shut down during normal gaming. Doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason why it's happening.

Having 3 failures of the same type of PSU has me considering taking the HX1200i option, if only to limit the chances of having to go through the RMA process a fourth time. Am currently running a 850W Gold rated PSU from another company that has been bulletproof (knock on wood) while waiting for RMAs to process. Any recommendations or input from people with experience would be appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
So it sounds like I'd basically be losing a little functionality in iCue and I won't be able to customize the power delivery as much?

I don't know if you were ever actually able to customize the power delivery, per se.

OCP: You either have it or you don't. AXi let's you "turn down" the OCP to a lower current setting, but that's more of a gimmick than anything since if you have a short that requires the safety of OCP, it doesn't matter if it's 20A or 40A. The PSU is going to trip.