Corsair Community

CX 650M only one 6-pin connector works?

wilddoktor

I've been running this power supply for years now with no issues. I'm using one of the 6-pin - to - 4x sata cables (powering 1 spinny hdd and 3x ssd's), and one 8-pin cable (for my video card). No issues at all.

Today I shut down and plugged in a second 6-pin to 2x sata cable, but it won't power anything...I've tried 4 different sata hdd's and even a sata dvd rom drive.

No power.

Do I need to flip a switch or something?

• Corsair Employees
I've been running this power supply for years now with no issues. I'm using one of the 6-pin - to - 4x sata cables (powering 1 spinny hdd and 3x ssd's), and one 8-pin cable (for my video card). No issues at all.

Today I shut down and plugged in a second 6-pin to 2x sata cable, but it won't power anything...I've tried 4 different sata hdd's and even a sata dvd rom drive.

No power.

Do I need to flip a switch or something?

Are you sure they are Corsair cables? What do they say on them?

• Corsair Employees
I doubt they're Corsair cables; I think they're just generic cables for any modular PS.

Umm... There's no such thing. That's your problem. Almost every modular PSU is pinned different on the PSU side. Thermatlake, Seasonic, EVGA... they're all pinned differently.

Take a look at the 6-pin "PSU side" on this page: https://pc-mods.com/blogs/psu-pinout-repository

Also here: https://www.modders-inc.com/power-supply-pinout-repository/

You're lucky you didn't fry anything. Sounds like the power supply's short circuit protection is working, preventing the wrong voltages from going to your drives.

And I should have been more clear when I asked what the cables say. I meant what do the connectors say. Corsair cables will say "Type 3" or "Type 4" and/or have a part number on them.

Oh, snap! I would never have thought that. The two cables I tried were both from pulled from a Enermax power supply, and I had to unplug a hdd to remove them, so they obviously work in that power supply.

I suppose I'd better buy a cable or two from Corsair.

In the mean time, I put the hdd into the pc with the enermax PS, and am xfering the files I need to offload to that pc over my network.

Thanks for the head's up; I'll consider this post answered!