Corsair Community

GA-8KNXP Rev.1 + 2xTWINX512-3200LL, XP rebooting...

Deimos_IQ

Hi RamGuy,

First the Facts:

Never overclocking anything.

INTEL P4 2.4 GHz FSB 800 HT

Gigabyte Motherboard GA-8KNXP Intel 875P chipset Rev. 1001 (running without Dual Power System)

NVIDIA GeForce FX5900XT

ZALMAN ZM400A-APF 400Watt Power Supply

Windows XP SP2

TWINX512-3200LL: 2 x CMX256A-3200LL, XMS3205v1.2, #0326032, XMS3200 256MB 400 MHz 2326-T1 (my OLD RAM)

Memory runs at dual channel

The System was stable for about 2 Years, I had about 2-3 Systemcrash in this time.

I got a new GrafikCard about 4 Month ago, but everythink was fine.

Now I decided to upgrade my RAM to 1 GB and I bought the TWINX512-3200LL again:

2 x CMX256A-3200LL, XMS3205v2.1, #0508020-7, XMS3200 256 MB 400 MHz 2.3.2.6(my NEW RAM)

Now I try to get this 4 Modules of RAM running on my system, but it is rebooting 5 minutes after i start a game like WoW or D***3.

Its although rebooting after I start lots of applications (begin using more RAM). Wired if I run only XP and the Explorer it is fine, no rebooting (!?)

First I upgrade my BIOS from F5 to F8 and then to F12 (currently running F12, latest stable Version of BIOS from Gigabyte).

I tested only the new TWINX modules at DIMM 1 and 4 everythink is fine, running games and applications.

The old ones did a great job of course they are running stable because they did the last 2 years.

Now I add NEW TWINX Modules in DIMM 1 and 4, OLD ones in DIMM 2 and 5 vs. OLD TWINX in DIMM 1 and 4, NEW TWINX in DIMM 2 and 5 ->rebooting

I set DIMM Voltage to +0.1V, +0.2V and +0.3V, its getting worse the higher the voltage is set.

BIOS SETTINGS:

Memory Frenquenzy AUTO (400)

All Voltage Normal

Configurating DRAM Timing SPD

CAS Latency Time 2.5

Active to Precharge Delay 6

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 3

DRAM RAS# Precharge 2

Refresh Mode Select 7.8 ns

Delay Transaction Enable

AGP Aperture Size MB 128

PSB Parking AUTO

Command Per Clock AUTO

Current CPC Disable

Fast Chip Select AUTO

Current FCS Enable

Dynamic Paging mode Auto

Current Paging Enable

What have I to do, to get 4 Modules (2 x TWINX512-3200LL) running STABLE with this Motherboard ?

Whats PAT ? And has it anything to do with my problem ? (read about PAT in articles about GA-8KNXP in this forum)

Please help, I need the 1 GB RAM but stable !

Greetings

Martin

P.S. Sorry for my english , i am not a native speaker.

• Corsair Employee
Please test the modules one at time to make sure one is not failing, and with 4 modules you may need to relax the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts as well as you should really have at least a 500 Watt PSU with the config you listed.

Ok, run memtest on all 4 modules , once at a time with timings SPD and normal Voltage. All 4 passed the test 30-40 times without error(running memtest for ca. 4 hours).

Tried all 4 modules with Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts , running memtest I get errors in the RAM range from 750-850 MB after first or second test. WIN XP although keeps rebooting after starting games or applications.

Whats your proposal ?

Tommorrow I will install dual power system for the MoBo and save some Ampere by disconnecting DVD/CD/HDD/CaseFans to test power supply. Then again running memtest on the 4 modules.

Greetings

Martin

I have done the "Power Test" , disconnecting everythink expect the mainboard from PSU , installed Dual Power Supply. Tested all 4 Modules with Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts. In 3 minutes 120 Errors at RAM range 796 MB.

In memtest I noticed that with 2 modules it says PAT ENABLE and with 4 modules PAT DISABLE, i think PAT ENABLE is much faster ?

Why is PAT with 4 modules disabled ?

I will try to get 4 modules from my friends to test the MoBo, i begin thinking about that DIMM slot 2 and 5 maybe defect.

I will return the new TWINX to my shop, hope he will take it back because I can not use them.

If I have to by new TWINX (1 GB total), which ones do you suppose for this MoBo ?

• Corsair Employee
PAT will be disabled by default when you fill all 4 slots. And if you need 2.0 Gig of memory I would suggest you use Twinx2048-3200C2 with this MB for best performance and maybe consider another MB.

Archived