Corsair Community

A7v333 and CMX512-2700C2PT

GarbageMan

Hello,

I am having some trouble getting my motherboard to recognize the appropriate amount of installed RAM.

I had a stick of CMX512-2700C2 installed and running. When I first purchased the stick, I had issues where it would only detect it as 512 when installed in slot 3. Otherwise, it only saw 256.

I just bought a stick of CMX512-2700C2PT. It seemed to me that they were identical, except for the color of the heatspreader. When I install both sticks together, my BIOS only registers 256Meg, no matter what slots I put the sticks in (I've tried all combinations).

The new PT stick is recognized as the full 512 when in the 3rd slot without the other stick installed.

Is there something wrong with my board?

I had an RMA the last time, and that stick behaved the same. So I really don't think it's that.

Here are some relevant specs:

Asus A7v333

BIOS: 1017

SDRAM CAS Latency 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay 3T

SDRAM RAS Precharge Time 3T

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay 6T/(I don't have a 7T setting available)

Dim Voltage jumpers are set to 2.50 V currently

CPU: AMD Athlon 2400+

Is my next move trying 2.75V and retrying the slot combinations? Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello again RAM GUY. I set my jumpers to the 2.75v setting, installed the sticks in slots 1&3, and ran memtest again.

I received no errors on 2 passes, but I should point out that my BIOS and memtest both reported 256Meg installed.

Thanks again for the response.

Well, I was afraid you were going to say that.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I have another system with that same board model, but a 2100+. I was pleased with that model's performance and features.

I will try that out and let you know how it goes, but I think you're right.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Yup, that was it. Memtest recognized the two sticks in slots 1 & 3 at 1024. No errors were detected. I also noted that the DIMM voltage was set to 2.5.

Time to pull a motherboard switcheroo and pray that XP doesn't whine about reactivation.

Thanks again for your help, RAM GUY.

Archived