Corsair Community

ICUE shows coolant temp 60c, but cpu temp 35c

ikke_tenk

Just finished my new setup and decided to go with the H150i rgb pro xt for my ryzen 9 3900x. After getting it to boot, i encountered a problem with the cooling. Even though my cpu temps shows to be around 35c idle, ICUE shows that the coolant is about 60c+. This makes the fans spin at full speed and the pc shuts down randomly. I can feel that the liquid and the block is cold by touch, so what can the problem be?

If the 60C coolant temp was a phantom or garbage value, the PC would not shutdown. iCUE cannot do that unless you create a specific shutdown command from within the Notifications panel. It would then shutdown normally vs a hard power off.

On the other hand your motherboard will pull the plug if you run into the temp safety limit. Usually you get a BIOS warning on the next boot, but that may be board dependent. Where does the 35C CPU temp from? If iCUE, try Ryzen master or another program to verify that.

It is still problematic if the coolant is indeed 60C+. You are only going to get that in a zero flow state. If you boot up and can watch the coolant start ticking up slowly and consistently every second, something is wrong. In this state, you normally have one very warm hose and one that is cool.

Maybe this temperature reading of 35° is wrong. There are so many CPU temp sensors, sometimes iCUE doesn't display the right one, or you have big differences between the real temp in ryzen master and the sensor other programs may use.

Ryzen tends to idle somewhat hot, so it's worth checking if that 35° reading is the real CPU temperature.

You can have CPU package, Die, socket, CPU motherboard sensor and many others that are just labelled "CPU" sometimes.

It is theoretically possible the sensor has glitched, but that wouldn't shut down the system. It would make the fans go crazy. However, defective coolant sensor or zero-flow state both require replacement, so I would say to proceed that direction.

1) Make sure you aren't running HWiNFO, HWMon, AIDA or another full spectrum monitoring program that polls the Corsair devices. This is not the normal behavior for when there is a conflict, but it's hard to rule it out completely.

2) Turn the lighting on the H150i XT to instant lighting "black" (off). What happens to the coolant temp (H150i XT Temp)?