Corsair Community

Asus K8NE-E Deluxe 2xPC3200 runs at 166???

pre_criminal

I have 2 sticks of corsair 512mb PC3200 C2 and they fine individually.

When I use them together in slots 1 & 2 I can only get 166Mhz memory speed?

Modules:

DIMM1 XMS 3202v5.1

DIMM2 XMS 3202V1.1

I have gone into bios and manually changed this but it changes to 166Mhz every time.

Also I have tried them both individual in slot 1 and they work fine.

The later revision module will not allow windows to boot when set at 5,2,2,2

unlike v1.1 which runs perfect at those timings.

Does this mean Corsair Memory is getting worse?

Does pre-crim mean pre law degree?

Anyways, it's not recommended to mix modules of different revisions. Just because the 1.1s are exceeding their stated timings does not mean the memory is getting worse.

But a module that exeeds its stated timings is obviously better than one that doesent?

Its reasonable to assume that because the later revision's do not peform as well that corsair's standards are slipping.

No it isn't. They are rated at a certain speed and timing. In the case of 3200C2s, they are rated @ 2-3-3-6 on Intel platforms, 2.5-3-3-6 on AMD platforms. If they meet those standards, they don't test beyond that. Anything better than those timings are just a luck of the draw. Also, basing any assumptions on two sticks out of hundreds of thousands does not give an accurate picture of the whole.

As for your predicament, my guess is that the memory controller doesn't like the different revisions, and as such is just having a problem with it. Now if the v1.1 was made before the 3200 spec was official, then its SPD will be set to 166, and as such, when seeing 2 sticks of different SPD, it may be forcing the speed of the memory to 166.

May also want to try slots 1 and 3, see what happens, just in case it isn't one of the above possibilities.

No it isn't. They are rated at a certain speed and timing. In the case of 3200C2s, they are rated @ 2-3-3-6 on Intel platforms, 2.5-3-3-6 on AMD platforms. If they meet those standards, they don't test beyond that. Anything better than those timings are just a luck of the draw. Also, basing any assumptions on two sticks out of hundreds of thousands does not give an accurate picture of the whole.

As for your predicament, my guess is that the memory controller doesn't like the different revisions, and as such is just having a problem with it. Now if the v1.1 was made before the 3200 spec was official, then its SPD will be set to 166, and as such, when seeing 2 sticks of different SPD, it may be forcing the speed of the memory to 166.

May also want to try slots 1 and 3, see what happens, just in case it isn't one of the above possibilities.

Ive had the v1.1 stick for almost 2 years and has worked with combinations of different revisions before on a different motherboard.

I sent back the newly aquired v1.5 and will now try to find a matching v1.1 stick.

Do you think something like this could be fixed with a mobo bios update in the future?

Thanks.

It says in the manual that CMX512-3200C2 is supported and has been tested to work in DDR400 mode when used in Slots 1 & 2.

I have 2xCMX512-3200C2 and I can tell you it doesent work.

I cannot afford to waste any more money on RAM.

Does this mean that any 512MB C2 stick will not work in DD400 with my already installed corsair module?

This Sux.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry, but with this platform the modules would all need to be exactly matched. If you can find another use for the module you have now I would suggest 1-CMX1024-3200C2 for best performance with this MB.

I am sorry, but with this platform the modules would all need to be exactly matched. If you can find another use for the module you have now I would suggest 1-CMX1024-3200C2 for best performance with this MB.

Thanks for the reply RAMGUY.

If I was to upgrade my ram in the future what models of corsair would work at DDR400?

ASUS recommend:

SINGLE SIDED W942508BH-5 CMX256A-3200C2PT 256MB

DOUBLE SIDED HSPACKAGE CMX512-3200C2 512MB (which I have already tried)

Are there any other modules that would be compatible. I was thinking TwinX perhaps?

Archived