Corsair Community

I suspect I have a bad memory module

kmars

Hey Memory Guys,

My 1 month old new computer died on startup. No beep and bios display not showing. So I swapped the Asus K8N motherboard and AMD Sempron 3100 CPU and same result. :confused: So then I pulled out one of the memory cards and the system worked fine. I tried the bad card by itself, and it didn't work. I tried reseating both cards and even swapped slots, still no luck. The memory pair is a Corsair dual channel TWINx1024-3200C2PT 2x512MB DDR 400 MHz. Only 1 is bad.

I bought this from Fry's about a month ago, but didn't keep the sales receipt. I still have the original packaging. Can I get the card replaced? The package came with 2 cards but I only appear to need one card (module).

Thank you,

Ken Marschall

• Corsair Employee

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

I downloaded memtest, changed the bios to boot off the floppy first, and changed my dim voltage to 2.7. One module passed completely, but the computer would not boot on the second module. What next?

Thanks.

Archived