Corsair Community

Something Wrong With My VS512MB400?

jobowoo

Here's my configuration:

P4 2.8 Ghz

Abit AS8 Mobo

Nvidia Geforce FX5700LE

512mb DDR400 (Patriot Brand)

2x512mb DDR400 (ValueSelect - Defective?)

I already had 512 mb of some other RAM when I first created my machine. Then a few months ago I bought 2x512MB of the ValueSelect RAM and just recently got the time to install it on my computer.

Here's what happens after I installed the new ValueSelect RAM:

On the bootup screen, the computer reads the ram and it shows that I have about 1.5 gigabytes of RAM (as it should). However after the computer runs for a few minutes it reboots by itself (I don't touch it!). This has happened everytime I boot up with the new RAM. Sometimes I get these 'referenced memory errors,' which I think means that it can't read certain parts of the memory (am I right?).

I have taken the RAM sticks out and switched sockets and I made sure I inserted them all the way. Nothing seems to be working.

I checked and my AS8 is compatible with the RAM.

Eventually I just took the ValueSelect RAM out and left my original 512mb as it was before and it runs perfectly fine now.

What do you guys suggest I do with my ValueSelect RAM? RMA? Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Archived