Corsair Community

MSI 865PE Neo2 Memory/Bios Problem

SWANNY

After purchasing a new MSI 865PE Neo2 and some TWINX CMX265a 3200C2 memory, I thought I would have a fast PC, WRONG. What ever setting I set in the BIOS causes the memory to run at CAS 2. I have tried setting the memory to 2.7v, and running mem96 and AIDA32, and I get memory errors when trying to use memory at any speed apart from SLOW. I have e-mailed MSI and they have responded saying there is not a problem with the bios (Version 1.7). Has anyone else seen this problem with this board and DDDR memory. Thanks for your time

• Corsair Employees
With the MSI version of this MB the timings will be set by the performance mode that you have set. So Please set it to AUTO or Normal and then set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. Then please test with [url]www.memtest86.com.[/url] If you still get errors please test the modules one at a time. Ram Guy

Ram Guy When I set the setting manually in the BIOS, it still reverts back to CAS 2.5. (voltage set at 2.7) I can not set the performance mode to any other setting other than DISABLED, as MEMTEST86 displays errors at any other setting. AIDA32 states than the memory is rated at CAS 2 @ 166Mhz and CAS 2.5 @ 200Mhz, Is this correct ????. Have I purchased the correct memory. Looking at my first entry , I should correct that the memory will only run at CAS 2.5 . Hope this information helps. Regards Andy S.

• Corsair Employees
The SPD is correct. we use the JEDEC values and you would need to set them manually to the tested settings. But some of the MB's will just not run well with tight timings. If possible I would try testing them on another MB as that may help to isolate the problem. Or I have no problem replacing the modules for you if you like. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Ram Guy

Ram Guy, Thanks for a very quick reply. As I live in the UK can I use your RMA system (dont want to post mem to USA) , and the company the system was purchased from (seperate bits) will not replace the memory until they have tested what I have sent back, they could then say the memory works ok if they do not check the CAS setting when the system is up and running. If I can use your RMA system I would prefer to use it as it would save time and hassle. regards

Hi I have received conformation of my RMA, but it states to send the memory back to the USA. As you have an office in the UK can I not send it back to them please. Posting to USA will take ages and is full of risks (not to mention the cost) Thanks for your time..

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Ramguy, Sorry about the change of user, lost my details. I sent my memory back to [url]www.scan.co.uk[/url] and have received new memory. They sent me out a pair of 3200LLPT and the motherboard now selects the correct SPD. Its running GREAT at CAS 2 , but I have a new question. I run memtest86 with my new setting and in FAST/TURBO mode and get NO errors Weeeeeeeeeee .... but when I start XP and after logging on it crashes. Will I need to re-build XP due to the new fast memory setting. Thanks for your time and help. Andy S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employees
I would suggest that you try the same settings as above and or do a search for this model and you will se my replies to this question many times and I think you will be able to get it working. As for the warranty question according to our [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/warranty.html]Warranty Policy[/URL] we would only be able to offer warranty to the original owner.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SWANNY [/i] [B]Ram Guy When I set the setting manually in the BIOS, it still reverts back to CAS 2.5. .... [/B][/QUOTE] I also noticed this behavior. From trying several different memory configurations, my observation is that there is a bug/feature that limits the CAS latency that the BIOS uses to the SPD value. All the other parameters can be set to lower than the SPD values. My question is: Is there a way at the end user level to overwrite the default value stored in the memory? The 3200C2 memory is advertised to be tested to CAS 2 and I would like to be able to have the option of trying this setting. The other option of course is to work this issue from the BIOS end but I'm getting next to nowhere talking to MSI, so I'm hopeful that something can be done with the memory. Thanks

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MR_UK [/i] [B]Hi The motherboard is an MSI 865PE Neo2 and I have sorted the problem. I changed the memory speed from AUTO to 400Mhz and it now runs GR8 in TUBO mode. Regards [/B][/QUOTE] In case you hadn't noticed, when you switch from Auto to 400MHZ you are turning off the PAT/MAT. BTW, what BIOS are you running ? The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem of posting ok with turbo/auto/spd settings but crashing on OS load. I was using the 1.7 or 1.9 BIOS'. Just on a whim I used what most of the reviewers used , i.e. 1.3 and now the TURBO/AUTO/spd settings work great. YMMV

• Corsair Employees
By disabling the By SPD settings and setting the timings manually that should permit you to set the timings manually and would be suggested. But the MSI I875 MB seems to totally ignore this. No matter what's in the SPD or set manually. I would really encourage you to push the MB maker for a solution to this issue as this MB is the only one that I have seen this problem with and they would have to address it with new bios. There is nothing that I can change in the SPD to make the MB read it. Sorry!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SWANNY [/i] [B]After purchasing a new MSI 865PE Neo2 and some TWINX CMX265a 3200C2 memory, I thought I would have a fast PC, WRONG. What ever setting I set in the BIOS causes the memory to run at CAS 2.5 I have tried setting the memory to 2.7v, and running mem96 and AIDA32, and I get memory errors when trying to use memory at any speed apart from SLOW. I have e-mailed MSI and they have responded saying there is not a problem with the bios (Version 1.7). Has anyone else seen this problem with this board and DDDR memory. Thanks for your time [/B][/QUOTE] Just to add to the 'database', i have the same motherboard/memory configuration and was experiencing the exact same issues. My recent breakthrough was to go back to the 1.3 BIOS. Now I can run with Turbo/Auto/SPD settings at 2.65v. Sorry about the overlap of this post and the previous ones. I just wanted to be complete since I have been struggling with this for several weeks figured someone else is probably just as frustrated as I was and didnt want to leave anything out.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]By disabling the By SPD settings and setting the timings manually that should permit you to set the timings manually and would be suggested. But the MSI I875 MB seems to totally ignore this. No matter what's in the SPD or set manually. I would really encourage you to push the MB maker for a solution to this issue as this MB is the only one that I have seen this problem with and they would have to address it with new bios. There is nothing that I can change in the SPD to make the MB read it. Sorry! [/B][/QUOTE] Thanks for your reply, I figured as such. I was just hoping there was a way to change the default in the SPD CAS latency value from 2.5 to 2 so I can work around the MB issue. Note: what was interesting was when I had CAS 3 memory in, the BIOS picked 3 and when I put the CAS 2.5 memory in, it picked 2.5, thus my hope to change the default to 2.

• Corsair Employees
The only way would be to use XMS3200LL, but even though the bios is reporting the timings correctly it still may not be running them at those timings. You can use Aida32 to see what the chipset is actually doing if you like.

Archived